It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why being civil is both morally and strategically the right way to have political discourse

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: efabian
a reply to: Grambler

I mean that in the way you wrote the thread it was apparent that you were trying to seem unbiased.
Like you were beating around the bush and not saying things as they are.

Either way, much better to have actual disclosure rather than constant bickering between both sides.
Sadly here where I live everybody is just brainwashed on to repeating the MSM talking points, they have their minds made up and any sight of opposing view or fact is an instant attack (not physically, lol).

Well I didnt think I beat around the bush. But I guess thats subjective.

Yeah though, there are a lot of people that seem to be impervious to actual discourse.

That thread about the man being beaten has several people yucking it up that he deserved it because he is right wing, and another claiming anyone discussing it is clutching pearls.

But despite that, I feel those people would not be able to be reached by being uncivil towards them either.

And certainly their rhetoric is not going to persuade anyone to their political side.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
That thread about the man being beaten has several people yucking it up that he deserved it because he is right wing, and another claiming anyone discussing it is clutching pearls.

But despite that, I feel those people would not be able to be reached by being uncivil towards them either.

If we're clutching our pearls, why would we consider wasting them on swine, though? Seriously, respect is earned... the caliber of people you're referencing have done nothing to earn respect and everything to earn disdain and, dare I say it, disenfranchisement from any civil discourse. In the same manner as one does not negotiate or defer to vermin inside their home, be they of the cockroach, rodent, or uninvited/overstaying human type of vermin, one should never be expected to negotiate with those whose positions are grotesquely childish or repulsive.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Grambler

If we're clutching our pearls, why would we consider wasting them on swine, though? Seriously, respect is earned... the caliber of people you're referencing have done nothing to earn respect and everything to earn disdain and, dare I say it, disenfranchisement from any civil discourse. In the same manner as one does not negotiate or defer to vermin inside their home, be they of the cockroach, rodent, or uninvited/overstaying human type of vermin, one should never be expected to negotiate with those whose positions are grotesquely childish or repulsive.

tye pearls before swine line is good!

I am not negotiating with them.

I am stating my point and not backing down.

And I am also keeping in mind that many more people than just me and them are reading the interaction.

If I resort to their level, then that audience will have no reason to be persuaded by me either.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join