It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major National Security Announcement from President Trump - Tuesday 1.8.2019 at 9pm Eastern.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Stevenjames15
a reply to: rickymouse

Me thinks you need to pay better attention!

I do pay attention and read all the article, not just the first paragraph of things. I am perfectly capable of analyzing what is happening by reading both the pro and cons on something, reading apposing viewpoints then trying to figure out what is actually happening. Maybe you need to be more open minded and analyze both sides, each incident needs to be analyzed seperately to determine if something is real.

Trump is a pushy Jerk but is capable of compromise, the Democrats formed an entity that is not capable of compromise, not one of them voted against their party line even when their party was acting irrational. At least the Republican congressmen have a conscience and are still working to promote the best interest of the people in their districts.

Please take your head out of your behind. The Republican Senate voted 100-0 on a compromise bill and Trump said he wouldn't sign it, after initially saying he would. The democrats have now passed the same bill in the house and the Senate (McConnell) refuses to bring it to the floor.

Just who is acting in bad faith here?

This would be the worst thing in the world Trump could ever do.

I just read articles on that and your statement is not what the articles said about the incident, the Democrats did not agree with what Trump said he wanted and the bill was not even given to trump back in December to sign. The Dems did not give an inch on doing a partial fund of the wall as they mentioned they were going to do when trump agreed.

So the Democratic house now passed the bill and the Senate will not even bring that unsatisfactory bill to the floor. Yeah, right, it would not pass the Senate let alone Trump. It sounds like the new house is just bullying it's way through this.

Take your head out of your Bhind and bring me real properly interpretted information. Did you really think I would just accept your information without researching it?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
The ACA was crap. We all saw that.
Just expand medicaid. It's already in place and for the most part works.

Expand Medicare. Medicaid sucks if you need specialized medical treatment. The best physicians don't want Medicaid patients.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
A life-savvy President who really CARES!
twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

katrinapierson.com...

Didn't check how this poll was taken, just posting it.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The poll was done by YouGov.

Your source used the Washington Times as the reference:

• 40 percent of Americans overall say illegal immigration in the U.S. is a “very serious problem”; 73 percent of Republicans, 38 percent of independents and 15 percent of Democrats agree.

• 22 percent overall say illegal immigration is a “somewhat serious problem”; 19 percent of Republicans, 21 percent of independents and 26 percent of Democrats agree.

• 24 percent overall say illegal immigration is a “minor problem”; 5 percent of Republicans, 23 percent of independents and 42 percent of Democrats agree.

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

The poll was done by YouGov.

Your source used the Washington Times as the reference:

• 40 percent of Americans overall say illegal immigration in the U.S. is a “very serious problem”; 73 percent of Republicans, 38 percent of independents and 15 percent of Democrats agree.

• 22 percent overall say illegal immigration is a “somewhat serious problem”; 19 percent of Republicans, 21 percent of independents and 26 percent of Democrats agree.

• 24 percent overall say illegal immigration is a “minor problem”; 5 percent of Republicans, 23 percent of independents and 42 percent of Democrats agree.

www.washingtontimes.com...

I myself think our illegal immigration is a problem, not that serious of a problem, but definitely a problem that should be addressed. Putting up a barrior across a large part of our Mexican border would be worth it. I feel it would save money in the longrun to do that, especially by slowing drugs coming over the border and by decreasing the workload on the border security so they can properly search for drugs coming in. An illegal alien sneaking in is a criminal just by sneaking in. I also think our government should figure a way to reduce the cost of good people coming in to get their citizenship. Then they will not technically be criminals and those people will be able to get paid appropriately for their work, illegals tend to work cheap and do not pay taxes much of the time yet they do collect benefits in some states.

I do not feel it is a serious problem but we do need to secure that border better, eight terrorists actually got caught trying to come into this country over the Mexican border, eight terrorists that could have killed a lot of people and caused fear in our country. I suppose way more than that got her on education visas, and that should be looked at too.

We should at least build a partial wall across half of the border, there is already some wall up there they can tie to.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   

As usual, there are more than one issue pertaining to border security. The wall, whatever it's made of, will need more manpower and technology as well. The other issue is on our side of the border. More diligent policing and prosecuting of those that hire illegal immigrants.

Everyone seems to know or know someone who knows someone who has had dealings in that arena. If 5B get's it further along than it already is and it is serious enough of an issue, we should see some statistics supporting it. The risk is worth the reward IMO.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
If he does this and it works his support is going to go through the roof

Especially key battleground states like PA

Except that Truman tried to nationalize the steel industry during World War II on the basis of a national emergency and the Courts stopped him. So, financing a stupid wall based on a fake national emergency with no war is definitely going to fail. See the US Supreme Court Case of Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co v. Sawyer. But, by all means, keep drinking Trump's Kool Aid.

Emergency powers? Where have I seen this before? Oh yeahhhh

edit on 8-1-2019 by andrewh7 because: .

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
Not sure what he thinks he's going to accomplish by building the wall , They will find a way under, over or through it , It's going to end up a patch work mess from all the holes cut into it .

Most illegal immigrants, drugs, and human trafficking occurs where there is no wall.

The vast majority of Americans don't realize that there's already over 560 miles of physical barriers on the border.

As Homeland Security pointed out in last week's briefing, Most criminals access the U.S. where those barriers do not exist.

You're right! The vast majority occurs at ports of entry (i.e., where there's no wall because people drive through gates and fly over it in planes.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
If 45 declares a national emergency to authorize the military to build his steel barrier (the WH is now backing such, instead of a concrete wall), he’ll be taking a major step in his in-going adulation of the world’s dictators;

He’ll have his very own “Iron Curtain”.

Those who will not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Yeah, like countries who let themselves be invaded by people who don't share their language or values lose their country.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
Not sure what he thinks he's going to accomplish by building the wall , They will find a way under, over or through it , It's going to end up a patch work mess from all the holes cut into it .

Perhaps, but until we have it, we really don't know. What we do know if the Border Patrol thinks it's a good idea and they spend a bit more time there than most of us.

When I found out it wasn't just a giant wall, but a combination of different technologies and barriers, it sure made sense to me, but not being in the morally elevated and educated group, I can only imagine.

And the Drudge Report picture of people sitting atop the new wall doesn't give you pause to reconsider?

actually, no, because I took the time to understand what "the wall" consisted of. You might want to try it.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
If he declares a national emergency, I will like him even less. That is a complete dictator move.

I do hope the government opens up as soon as possible though.

If the democrats would work with the President instead of against him he would have to resort to this possible move. The dems have already made it very clear that they will stand against our President no matter what he does. They expect him to cave to their demands but give nothing in return. So what choice have they really left him?

link   
What I don't get at all, and I'm sure I'll be enlightened is this.

The idea behind the wall is twofold : drugs and illegal immigrants.

So, drugs. If there is a wall, why do you think the incredibly rich cartels won't use planes even more? After all, what is the easiest way to carry a lot of drugs.. a car going through the border or by a plane? They bribe officials at airports etc now anyway. And that's assuming they don't just use a helicopter and fly over the border and land in the middle of nowhere on the US side. Or what about shipping drugs? How is a wall really helping? The cartels must be laughing their heads off as the US is spending billions on something which won't actually stop them at all.

With illegal immigrants, that is a more complex situation than just putting up a wall.

(1) Police their employment. If you crack down on their employment opportunities that will reduce their incentive to make the trip.

(2) Won't immigrants make the trip via other means ie boat/plane or just climb over the wall with a $30 ladder?

(3) If you build the wall the Govt will need to buy privately owned land, this is an unknown costs because no-one knows how much the compensation would be or how long any legal challenges might take.

(4) Bearing in mind that the total cost of the wall is estimated to be anywhere from 8 billion to 70 billion even from a Trump friendly site (www.foxnews.com...) and with further costs of 150million to 750 million a year in maintenance, is this the best way to spend that much money?

(5) Will the wall be a complete ring from start to finish or are there areas which are impossible to put a physical wall on? If so...what cost will it be to remedy this (manpower?) and is it possible to remedy this so that the border is still secure?

Ultimately:

Will this wall totally stop drugs and if not, how much is getting through by plane, boat etc?

Will this wall stop immigration and if not, how many will still get onto US soil?

If no-one knows these answers, how can you spend anywhere between 8-70 billion to build it plus another 150 - 750 million every year in maintenance AND shut down the Govt until you get your way? If you are going to spend that sort of money, you should pretty much know how much benefit there WILL be.

To me, Trump has made the wall a rally cry not based on it working or not, but to try and sound tough, to appeal to certain demographics. It is an easy thing to get people to chant "build that wall...build that wall.." but that doesn't mean it will work.

a reply to: Somekindofwizard

edit on 8-1-2019 by bluesilver because: no reason given

link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: carewemust

Too bad the emergency and crisis was about families being separated and not terrorists and criminals huh? And still other stories were about trumps conflated view of his own made crisis.
Too bad illegal entries are down significantly... People are actually afraid of trumps laws... and if it wasn't a national emergency when the numbers were higher it certainly is not now.

imagine how scared they would be of a big wall. If just Trump's laws scare them, then damn. Thanks for helping team Trump.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Oh gawd, this will be nothing but Donald grandstanding and ranting and whining for the wall that the majority do not want. Why? Because the wall makes no sense at all. It is an utter waste of money. Hopefully the networks will fact check Trump on the fly. He might set a new record for lies per minute (LPM) that only the Donald can do.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

originally posted by: headorheart
If he declares a national emergency, I will like him even less. That is a complete dictator move.

I do hope the government opens up as soon as possible though.

If the democrats would work with the President instead of against him he would have to resort to this possible move. The dems have already made it very clear that they will stand against our President no matter what he does. They expect him to cave to their demands but give nothing in return. So what choice have they really left him?

Conceding the wall... or else... is not a concession. It's caving to a demand. Concession would Trump saying "Look, instead of an actual massive wall, give us 10 billion towards making major improvements with technology, manpower, planning etc." You know.. actual deliberation to get to a solution both sides can live with.

I don't think people understand that Trump is giving them an all or nothing ultimatum. People keep saying "they won't work with the President" I don't think really understand what is happening here. He is saying "All or nothing.. give me what I want - and if I don't get it, I'm willing to bend my powers to create a fake national emergency to get my way."

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tabularosa
Oh gawd, this will be nothing but Donald grandstanding and ranting and whining for the wall that the majority do not want. .

You're citing that CNN/Orca poll? Its been wrong about everything.

What do you think Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi will say in their joint address after the President speaks?

Dim Response: www.cnn.com...

Probably more of the same, as well..
edit on 1/8/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
From Bo Erickson, CBS News:

“Secretary of State Pompeo tells King Abdullah of Jordan he saw an early draft of the president's address to the nation tonight: "He'll make a lot of news," and then laughed.”

lol

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

CBS News's Bo Erickson was in the room with Pompeo and Abdullah?

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
There are many private land owners who own land on both sides of the border. They do not want a wall in the middle of their property. There are many cases still in court where these landowners are suing the Federal government to keep the fences/walls from being built. The cases have been in the system since Clinton tried to build a wall. A wall across the entire border is not feasible or legally able to be built. The Democrats learned this lesson years ago. These same homeowners will leave Trump where they left Clinton, tied up in court forever, and the wall will not be built regardless if it gets funded or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join