It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Trip [GH2019] Writer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Steve was in a stasis pod on his way to Alpha Centauri when it happened. The ship hit an asteroid as it traversed a previously unknown asteroid belt. It's hard to dodge a body of objects when you're travelling at 500,000 mph.

The ship computer released him from his slumber. As he slowly came to, coughing and gagging, he could hear an alarm. Taking a few moments to readjust to being awake again, he looked at his watch. "Damn, this is way too soon..." He stumbled over to the command console and stabbed on it clumsily. As his eyes slowly focused, a damage control report flickered on the screen. Navigation systems down, structural integrity 45%, fuel 15%. He could see it was bad. Really bad.

"Hello Houston, we have a problem...."

"Steve...crackle....you've suffered extreme damage from an asteroid and have zero chance of surviving on the ship. Make your way to the escape capsules immediately. We'll speak to you once you are inside."

This was not how it was supposed to go. It was a simple ferry service. Go to Alpha space-station, pick up some folks, back into stasis and then back to Earth. "Dammit...!" He shakily got dressed, quickly drank a coffee (synthetic nasty stuff but it contained caffeine) and headed to the escape capsules, climbed inside the nearest one and pressed the button. Through the porthole he could see his ship gliding slowly into the distance.

"Houston, I'm in."

"Steve, uh...we have a problem. The capsule you are in is damaged. The navigation system seems crippled. We'll work on it out down here and get back to you soon. Hang in there buddy."

Sighing he sat down and waited for a reply. Hours passed and just as he was drifting towards sleep the radio came to life once more.

"Steve, uh...the asteroid also damaged your escape capsule, and we can't get you back home."

"So now what? Where am I headed in this thing?"

"Alpha Centauri, directly for it. I don't need to tell you what that means."

Steve exhaled deeply. He knew there was only one thing for it. He climbed into the stasis pod and activated it. If he was going to die, it would be a painless death at least. Just before he fell asleep he thought "I'm going home. Star dust."

THE END

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Right up to the end I thought there was some hope.
Well done.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Wow, I was at the edge of my seat! Very well written Light!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Good job man! And happy belated BD! Seems like I caught a glimps of that somewhere. LOL!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Great Job. I think he made the right decision. This story has a lot to offer the readers.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thank you all for the kind comments. Much appreciated.

top topics

join