It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shotgun At The Sacred Grove

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I spent Christmas barefoot in a sacred grove. Birds, deer, mice and the mighty trees were my companions. I drank the purest spring water and ate cheap food from Aldi.

I'd been camping there for over a week beforehand, it rained heavily and my bedding was getting damp. To dry my bedding I lit a fire the day before Christmas Eve, then decided to keep the fire going over Christmas, hoping the Christmas spirit would prevent anyone objecting. The smoke would have been visible during the day because all the wood was wet, and the glow of the fire lit up the underside of the branches at night.

I knew whose land I was on and calculated no-one would bother to throw me off over Christmas. My calculations didn't account for the neighbouring farmer.

As it was getting dark on Christmas Day the farmer came as close as he could on his own land, about twenty five yards away, and fired two shots. One may have been into the ground, I didn't hear it strike anything. The second shot he fired into a tree, I heard the pellets strike the ivy leaves. About ten seconds between shots.

I couldn't see him through the dense undergrowth. I stood for a while wondering if the next shot would sent pellets into the back of my head. I was too stubborn to crouch down.

I kept the fire going and left two days later.

The last time someone fired a shotgun behind my tent was on a pitch-dark rainy night in Wales in the 1980's. It feels like very outdated behaviour.

Have any other Brits experienced farmers using shotguns for intimidation in recent years?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Are you a gyppo? Why are you on private land without permission. I have farmer friends that deal with gyppos all the time and...well....I don't want to get another warning.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

If I were a single man, that (apart from the being harassed with a shotgun part) sounds like a lovely way to enjoy Christmas.

Just yourself and nature, beautiful. I miss my little adventures into the wilds, for sure.

I used to live in the Welsh Black Mountains (early to mid-nineties) and was often warned to say away from 'that farm' or 'that farmer', but although hearing shotgun fire was fairly standard in the area, I don't believe it was ever to deter my presence (I was forever camping on my own in the valley, I went from living in a Children's home one day, not even able to spend my 50p a week pocket money on sweets, to living with my Dad, which was a case of 'this is how you make fire, this is how you signal for help, now here's a tent; get lost', pmsl)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
Maybe he has no public land locally?
Lots of wooded public land in my area, from the shore to the moors. I camp on the beach regularly, and also dense woods on clifftops.
Farmers here are also cool if you camp on their land, just leave it as you found it, but with so much public land available it's rare I've camped on private land.
Never had a shotgun fired as a warning, never been asked to stop camping anywhere either.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What exactly makes a grove sacred. Is it just the fact that it's "Nature"....

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Here's the one thing you are forgetting, not all farmers are legal. Protecting marijuana and other illicit drugs is done by criminals who might just kill you.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
I don't do the 'sacred' thing when I am in nature either, but perhaps the member is a Pagan or something.
...I camp in an thousands of years old stone circle close to me in the summer, that feels special, but then so does being surrounded by trees or camping on the beach watching seals play...seals like sausages off the BBQ by the way lol

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Lots of filthy Gyppose in my part...coarsing and stealing crap from farmers. The cops pee their little skirts over them. My wife and I like to camp, but we normally do it in a designated area....camp that is.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Of Romany descent but without the culture.

The land is owned by a huge trust that have almost no active interest in it.

I have farming experience and would rather shoot the worse sort of travellers than have them target me with their dog poisoning, arson, etc. Inbreeding produces undesirable traits, only certain types of travellers practice inbreeding.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Fair enough...we have the worst sort here...just bust through locked gates and trash the place. They even take al-fresco dumps. I don't consider them humans to be honest.

Anyway, I used to love sneaking into places and camp/fish. To be fair, that was before I had a drivers liscense.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I used to live in the Welsh Black Mountains . . .

I could talk all night about Hay Bluff. Probably the funniest story is when Jim Capaldi's en.wikipedia.org... house got squatted. He hammered on the front door, then ran round and let himself in the back, ran down behind the people who'd gone to see who was at the door, shoved them out and locked the door.

Shotgun related, a farmer came up to the Bluff with a shotgun, fired it into the air and shouted at the mushroom festival attendees. A punk who's name I can't remember ran up to him and started verbally abusing him. The farmer didn't realise what was happening till he felt the damp on his leg. The punk was peeing on him. Not everyone is intimidated by shotguns.

Eventually the council came up with a heavy police presence on St Giro's day when most people were away. The homes were destroyed by JCBs with all possessions inside and loaded onto trucks, then buried under tons of mud on Clyro tip. I look across to the site of the old tip every time I pass by.

They also drove one of the JCB's into the spring and drove backwards and forwards to destroy it. The throttle cable snapped and they had to do a repair before they could get it out. Other mysterious things happened that spoke of other-worldly intelligence at work. The 'conscious light' UFO's used to fly around above us at night and everyone treated that as normal.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What exactly makes a grove sacred.

Magic mice and cheeky long-tailed tits.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They visit us in the summer for a free holiday at the seaside lol
One year a local farmer turned up at his field with a load of locals and a 30 tonne truck of rubble which he threatened to dump at the entrance to lock them in if they didn't move, totally legal because he wasn't going to be falsely imprisoning the people, just their vehicles and caravans.
They moved on after some angry exchanges

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Sent you PM.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Replied.
Camping out is brilliant though isn't it, I even camp in my garden in the summer, my tent was pitched for 3 months this year when it was hot. I only used my house for the toilet and washing clothes, cooked on the BBQ every evening after work, was brilliant being in a tent with my cat curled up next to me lol.

I have another 'winter grade' one man tent which I use for the woods/beach/moors, you've inspired me to escape my 4 stone walls for a night now, just escape to the woods on a clifftop walking distance from my home. Being out in nature is fantastic for my emotional well being.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I got an arctic army sleeping bag from a bootsale. Super-warm but being down absorbs moisture, hence the big fire to dry it out.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
That's a good piece of kit. I have an extra tarp for the ground under my one man tent, I have another one I can completely cover the whole tent, it is actually a sheet of construction DPM for floors cut to size, but totally waterproof and folds up small, really light to carry as well. You get a bit of condensation but it will take torrential rain. This stuff...

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
You inadvertently hit on one of the problems with today's western society. Too many people tripping all over each other. Just about anywhere one goes now they are forced to interact with intolerant others. It's almost impossible to truly get away from PEOPLE now. I live in the country but every year the local population soars 40 fold with deer hunters that have no regard for the local residents. I actually despise hunters now and wish hunting were banned.

"Sons of bitches."

edit on 7-1-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I used to live in the Welsh Black Mountains . . .

I could talk all night about Hay Bluff.

No way!? 😀

I used to live at the other end, in Llanveynoe at the bottom of the Cat's Back! Man, I really miss that place, bigly!

There's a small hole at the bottom of the concrete trig point at the top of Hay Bluff, inside is a piece of paper with my name and date on it!

The school (read 'unit') I was attending at the time used to drive a load of us up there to let off steam, I always remembered the 'bigger boys' eating the shrooms and acting odd afterwards, lol, I have a photo somewhere too of some of the lads stood inside the minibus with a sheep they'd managed to wrangle in 🙄😂

I've tried to convince my old man to come camping with me back up there, but he has a family and stuff now and isn't getting any younger. I'd take my boys, but they wouldn't last two minutes without wifi or a flushing toilet (I blame their Mum 🙊)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well if anyone ever fires a 12 gauge at you again report him to the man. It's a big no, no and he could have his license revoked and his guns removed. As for undesirables on your land, well, get a spreader full of human sewerage, quite cheap from the sewage farm, spread it quite liberally around and quite shortly they will f### off. Try to get their vehicles and their vans as well and that will remind them not to come back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join