It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let them eat CAKE!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   
So, my wife is actually a Culinary Graduate, ,from a very respectable school in Baltimore, MD.

Her specialty is baking and she's a fantastic baker!

So yesterday she decides to make a chocolate cake. Now, anyone can make a chocolate cake, right? But she's got "ideas". She goes all out; there's no dark chocolate pieces in this cake, it's all done with Cocoa powder. This cake comes out FANTASTIC, with a chocolate depth beyond anything I've ever known (but she's an honest to God "Chef", right?).

Well, this cake is supposed to be a two layer cake, and she's made two icings for the cake. She's going to do (white) butter / cream cheese icing in the middle and dark chocolate icing (all homemade) on the outside. She doesn't even like icing at all, but I love thee stuff!

We're talking "blow your socks right off your feet, kind of stuff here!!"

Anyay, she's taking one of the cakes out of the pan...and it breaks (half of it stuck, even though she'd greased the pan and even used parchment paper). She's PISSED!!! So she's ready to throw the whole cake into the garbage and start over.

"WHOA!!! WHOA, WHOA...WHOA!!! Let's taste this so called "crappy" cake of yours first!!", I say.

Well, it turns out this is the BEST cake I've ever eaten in my life!!!! Hand's down! Okay, sure it's broken, but it's AWESOME!!!

I practically have to fight this girl to keep her from throwing this thing in the trash can. Finally, I say...."Look, I'll eat it, and I don't care how ugly it looks; this thing is a MASTERPIECE!!!!!

So I've spent the past two days taking this broken cake out, cutting slices, and putting this wonderful (World class) white butter-creme frosting on it! and then MUNCHING it down with delight!

Ugly??? Who the F# cares!!! ...this S# is the best cake I've ever tasted! The depth of the cocoa and the butter-creme is off the freaking charts!~!!!

....and she's still mad over the whole thing!!

(just wants to know when she's getting her new oven...and it's still 5 weeks out on order (all 60" of it)!!)

Bottom line..."let them eat cake", some say....I'm all good with that....provided it's THIS cake!~!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My little sis is a culinary chef. San Francisco. Im chef trained 1 on one in a French restaurant, Maui.
Im very glad your wife came up with a winner, and you didn't let her toss it. Now let her get it right. She has OCD, and that can be a good thing. Good for you. You are going to trip on her final product. Id love to have a slice, Shall I snd you my addy?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I got an older vulcan similar to this with the two even sized natural convection ovens and the griddle like shown. It's sitting in my garage, I bought it used and it is in good shape, but now we got the Wood cookstove and the standard electric range so the kids have been bugging me to give it to them. My granddaughter is buying a house with a walk out basement, I will have to give it to her. www.consolidatedfoodservice.com... 5678&adgroup=57242983375&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOqOneTa3wIVm7rACh34IgPgEAAYASAAEgI2-fD_BwE

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

This is the oven / stove...

Oven / stove

And the hood...

Hood

...and then there's abour $10k of exhaust mechanical work to go with it also.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

This is the oven / stove...

Oven / stove

And the hood...

Hood

...and then there's abour $10k of exhaust mechanical work to go with it also.

That's a nice stove.

My wife saw one on line that some people we know bought I don't think I want to start remodeling the kitchen anymore though, on top of that, we do not have natural gas here yet and this stove runs 24/7, it would cost quite a bit with propane. www.agaliving.com...

That one is seventeen grand too, but she likes it because there are always hot ovens. We tossed our microwave after it caught fire and never bought another one because I did research and testing myself as to the ions it emits. In the winter, our woodstove is usually hot and all we need to do is to close the oven.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Hmm....I love bakers...and cooks...do both myself. But you made me want to taste your wife's baking! Feel privileged. My wife hates anything to do with the kitchen. She loves cleaning, but she hates cooking/baking. I balances that out because I'm just the opposite.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I thought this was a thread about the yellow coats in Paris and their Ruler, Macron.

Wrong thread, sorry.
edit on 7-1-2019 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I've always heard the best cakes fall apart! I totally get that your wife is still pissed though.
Even if she didn't plan on eating it she wanted it to be perfect. LOL!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Well, that Vulcan you posted is going to have the gas on all the time too. Those pilots on the Vulcans are so big you can hear them. They also give off a fair amount of heat in the summer time too. That's one of the reasons we picked the stove we did. The burners are piezo lit, so no pilots on all the time. We're on propane here (no NG), hence the stove selection.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I am just wondering if the cake split because she tried to remove it from the pan before it was totally cooled down. Anyway, I would have just used the icing to glue it back together lol. I have just started baking again and love it.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Here's what I say if a cake breaks....
You're gonna chew it anyway.
Now I would not present a broken cake to company but if an everyday cake turns out cracked we do as you have...
let them eat broken cake. You're gonna chew it anyway....
🍰

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Well, that Vulcan you posted is going to have the gas on all the time too. Those pilots on the Vulcans are so big you can hear them. They also give off a fair amount of heat in the summer time too. That's one of the reasons we picked the stove we did. The burners are piezo lit, so no pilots on all the time. We're on propane here (no NG), hence the stove selection.

The viking I have is electric with six burners and a two foot griddle. The ovens are natural convection, the heating coils are under the bottom and the air comes out into the oven from the bottom, middle, and top. It is a decent stove and in really good shape, I paid six hundred for it from an agency I was contracting with. But, it is too big for my kitchen and my daughters kitchens unless a lot of remodeling was done. I guess the ovens on it are really good for baking breads and stuff and the burners are not intermittent, they are two twenty burners with special expensive controlers, the controlers cost about three hundred fifty bucks apiece if you need to buy one. It isn't as good as gas burners from what I have been told by people who have worked with both but they said that the electric vulcans are way up there with producing a good result.

I probably should have turned it down because it has just been in my way for ten years but we tried it and everything still works so I am going to give it to the grandaughter after I take off the back and make sure no mice got into it.

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 05:40 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:57 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

It just occurred to me that when your wife replaced chocolate pieces with powdered cocoa she may have forgotten to add more liquid to compensate for the difference in the two ingredients.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

top topics

join