It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The failure to crowd-fund the wall

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It is now day 20 of the gofundme being in progress and more than anything, it weeded out the worst among us and showed us just how few truly belong among the so-called deplorables... loud as they may be. People may think the group is larger, and they definitely appear that way on the internet, but when push comes to shove, a very small minority.

In 20 days, the crowd-fund raised $19.3 million by 321,040 people, at the time of this post. That is 1.93% of the expected $1 billion. It is also 0.084% of the money actually needed for the wall, the estimated $23 billion.

It's also interesting to point out that the USA population is listed as 329,093,110 and the people that did donate make up less than 1% of the population. Well, less than a tenth of a percent, really. To be accurate, the people that donated make up 0.0976% of the population. A very, very small and vocal minority that contrary to what they attempted to do, illustrated just how little support and backing The Wall really has.

What it did show, is that with a true purpose and not a hateful one, we could get some real money going for things that are actually needed in America. I'm sure you've all seen posts and threads about what this money could really be used on. That shelters could be opened to cover and home all 40-50,000 homeless veterans. That all the water problems in Flint, Michigan could be fixed - with crowd funding. We could pay for countless cancer treatments for people without insurance who are dying and in need.

Imagine if we had a truly worthy cause. Imagine if we could get 10 times more people, or one percent, to donate to something people would actually give money for, such as the homeless or the children in need. Imagine what donations from 3 million people could do? 200 million dollars? A Billion? For hope and love and helping each other?

I bet we could think of a good one and get it started. And something positive can come out of ATS, instead of constant negativity and hatred.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

First you say:

It is now day 20 of the gofundme being in progress and more than anything, it weeded out the worst among us and showed us just how few truly belong among the so-called deplorables... loud as they may be.

Then you say:

I bet we could think of a good one and get it started. And something positive can come out of ATS, instead of constant negativity and hatred.

Good luck with that.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Reading this in reverse order paragraph by paragraph was a treat!

However it left me confused. Crowd funding already is a good idea, or it's only a good idea when it's something you agree with?

I'm sure out of the varying models of crowd funding out there, you can find a cause that you'd like to support.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

If only the U.S. congress was worried about illegal rapists, murderers and gang-members pouring into the country, then the voters wouldn't have to pay for the solution themselves.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
If only the U.S. congress was worried about illegal rapists, murderers and gang-members pouring into the country, then the voters wouldn't have to pay for the solution themselves.

The voters pay for the 'solution' regardless of crowd funding or government project.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Imagine if we had a truly worthy cause. Imagine if we could get 10 times more people, or one percent, to donate to something people would actually give money for, such as the homeless or the children in need. Imagine what donations from 3 million people could do? 200 million dollars? A Billion? For hope and love and helping each other?

tell that to Nancy who is against the wall and in the same time wants 54 Billion Dollar for foreign aid, go figure

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

First you say:

It is now day 20 of the gofundme being in progress and more than anything, it weeded out the worst among us and showed us just how few truly belong among the so-called deplorables... loud as they may be.

Then you say:

Good luck with that.

You're assuming ATS is filled with deplorables. I am not.

Do you know something I don't? Failed cause to look for hope here?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Your level of obtuseness is truly remarkable.

It sucks when you get shown to be a hypocrite within one post, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
However it left me confused. Crowd funding already is a good idea, or it's only a good idea when it's something you agree with?

What I meant was, what if we found something that was popular with Americans? The wall is obviously liked by too few and the support for it keeps waning.

I know there are some people here an ATS that probably donated to the wall fund, but they also make a very, very small minority in this country.

What if we started a worthy cause?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Your level of obtuseness is truly remarkable.

It sucks when you get shown to be a hypocrite within one post, doesn't it?

Kid, you keep attacking me every time I post and you never say anything that brings intelligence to the conversation. Which is confusing because I've seen your threads and you are more intelligent than your replies to my threads would allude.

Do I just bring out the id in you?

Please, if you can do no better, go pop a zit and find someone else to taunt. I don't take you seriously enough for another reply.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Kid, you keep attacking me every time I post and you never say anything that brings intelligence to the conversation. Which is confusing because I've seen your threads and you are more intelligent than your replies to my threads would allude.

You're a hypocrite who talks out of both sides of his mouth and expects everyone to what? Pat you on the back for it?

Your threads aren't particularly thought provoking.

It's political hackery disguised as intelligent discourse.

And you want to talk down to people?

edit on 6 1 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

In 20 days, the crowd-fund raised $19.3 million by 321,040 people,

I’m actually surprised there was only that many people donating. I figured there was a far larger number of idiots chomping at the bit to get fleeced.

Go America, I guess.

Maybe there is hope.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

originally posted by: JinMI

What I meant was, what if we found something that was popular with Americans? The wall is obviously liked by too few and the support for it keeps waning.

I know there are some people here an ATS that probably donated to the wall fund, but they also make a very, very small minority in this country.

What if we started a worthy cause?

Americans or ATS?

Regardless, not a thing stopping you from starting one or contributing.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

It's utter foolishness.

Even if the got every cent needed to build the entire wall, that money would be taxed and a cut to the platform.. Then it would be up to the house on where that money would go.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Dude... They raised nearly 20 MILLION DOLLARS. How is that not enough to take notice? Does everyone who wants the wall have to put money up on kickstarter for this to look like an issue that we're for? I'm for the wall and I didn't spend a cent to that go fund me. I shouldn't have to. My taxes are already paid so I contributed the way we're MADE to contribute.

Hell, Obama only needed 100k signatures on a website to take notice. How is this not important with 3 X that amount?

Now shut up and build the wall already. I don't care who pays for it. Us, Mexico... Don't care. Just do it! That's something I'm happy to have MY taxes go towards.

edit on 6-1-2019 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

wait, are you really of the mindset that the only ones who contributed to that fund were the only ones who want the wall?

Please tell me you have a better thought process than that.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

There is so much stupid in your OP that it actually spilled out of my computer and stained the carpet.

So I get that you hate border security and mock those who do like border security. That's all I got from your OP.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Now shut up and build the wall already. I don't care who pays for it. Us, Mexico... Don't care. Just do it! That's something I'm happy to have MY taxes go towards.

The majority of America doesn't want Trump's pointless monument. The majority never did. I think it's you that needs to quit the basement ranting and go build it if you want it. It's totally ok, you don't even have to admit that Trump lied to you about having it paid for by Mexico. But don't be surprised when Trump takes credit for your wall though, even if you only get a few angry bricks laid down.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: StallionDuck

The majority of America doesn't want Trump's pointless monument. The majority never did. I think it's you that needs to quit the basement ranting and go build it if you want it. It's totally ok, you don't even have to admit that Trump lied to you about having it paid for by Mexico. But don't be surprised when Trump takes credit for your wall though, even if you only get a few angry bricks laid down.

what are the numbers?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
www.oann.com...

Kansas Secy Of State Kris Kobach Touts Wall GoFundMe Page
OAN Newsroom
7:32 PM PT – Sat. January 5, 2019

he GoFundMe page made in support of President Trump’s proposed border wall is garnering attention from a high-profile figure. In an op-ed on Breitbart News on Saturday, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach praised the success of the campaign. He also noted the crowd-funding effort has raised an astronomical $19 million. It’s on pace to become the most successful GoFundMe campaign ever, coming close to passing-up the current record-holder — the “Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund” made for for victims of sexual assault. Kobach also said the page for the legal defense fund has been up far longer than the page for the wall, which is expected to take the top spot in the coming days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join