It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women on the view imply we are bigots if we discuss certain facts on marriage

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You are right dawnstar and what you and sillyolme were saying/implying or asking is very important and needs to be discussed
Women in some churches and denominations are oppressed and abused
Jesus teachings were and will always remain love

These issues still need to be discussed openly and clearly and men held accountable before each other
Your point is not lost and explaining the teachings of the bible is very important

Women in the New Testament are equal to men, women become sons of God
www.desiringgod.org...

If you are interested

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

That's fine, I was just wondering. I don't see the problem with men and women marrying peers who make the same as each other. And that shouldn't be a problem, because, with gender equality, there would theoretically be an EQUAL number of men and women at each level.

But right now, women are still getting paid less and are still under-represented in leadership positions. So there is not a problem with women getting paid more and being represented more in leadership.

I've never seen a mature woman turn down a guy just because they had the same income level. I could understand turning down a guy with a lower income level, or a guy turning down a girl with a lower income level, but it's not a requirement. Some women (yes, I know some) and some men prefer to be the ones with the most income in the relationship. There is nothing wrong with both parties bringing equal amounts to the table, either.

The thing is, the biggest problem I see here is for the men who like to make more than their wife so that they have more power in the relationship. These men might have a harder time because of women becoming independent. I did not get that from the post, I arrived at the conclusion through critical thinking and reading between the lines.

I don't see how this is a problem for anyone else.
edit on 07pmMon, 07 Jan 2019 21:52:25 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

That sounds like some cool stuff, thanks.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That would be the Mormons, Redneck... they don't allow their women in leadership positions in the church, and they have special sessions just for men only. Also, the Jehova's Witnesses - I dated one, and she was not allowed to disobey her man.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler
Its nature, its the same as why men always go for the women that are better looking, though in women case i would say money is a second as that is not a given as in not a sure thing. As such given the nature of it, the first they look for is control, which is why in the whole history of the world and humans, untold millions and millions of years, there has never been a woman who got with a guy she did not understand or know his ways. ie if the ball is thrown she wants to know the probability of were it will land. If there is no such thing as a sure bet, then you bet on what you know and can understand, and what you can influence.

That has been pretty much in a nutshell the mating game for the past thousands and thousands of years.

Also your video does not link. But I don't think we can exactly expect words of wisdom from day time soap opera talk shows.

And also on marriage, I would not worry about it, given the trend and statistics. In a generation or two marriage will go the way of the dodo. And in a few more generation, the kids of the future if they hear the word, they will need to log on to wiki or google up the meaning word.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   

as far as I know, this "context" was recently interpreted by the baptist church rather recently to this:

This may come as a shock to you, but the Baptists did not write the Bible. They actually are descended from a heretic group that was originally called the Anabaptists.

I know this well, because I was raised Southern Baptist. I converted to Christianity later.

(You won't get that joke, so don't strain yourself trying.)

Jesus promoted peace. Many of His instructions were aimed specifically at the Jews, and concerned themselves with Jewish custom in order to maintain peace. Yes, it was Jewish custom at that time for women to not speak in the church. The Epistles quoted are actually letters that were written to various groups by the early followers of Jesus. In them, these followers followed Jesus' example and recommended not going against the local customs, to prevent offense that could have torn the church apart.

There's your context... I have cast my pearls among swine. No, that's not an insult... read the Bible and you might understand why.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

That would be the Mormons, Redneck... they don't allow their women in leadership positions in the church, and they have special sessions just for men only. Also, the Jehova's Witnesses - I dated one, and she was not allowed to disobey her man.

Well, that would be a good reason why I have never heard of the practice. Thanks for the info.

I have known only one very nice couple who were Mormons. I tutored their son in math to get him through high school. My experience was that they were very devout and very humble, two qualities I admire. I did not get into deep religious discussions, however; the most the happened along those lines was they offered me a copy of the Book of Mormon, and I graciously accepted.

As for Jehovah's Witnesses, I don't think they like me very much. They quit coming to my door after I invited a group in for a talk about Jesus and apparently converted some of them.

If anyone is interested in stopping the visits, that's the best way to do it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Women don't want to marry men that make less then them. They know the racket they've pulled on men for decades in divorce court with alimony and half of his assets. Its all fine and dandy when the woman didn't earn any of it and they they take everything the man has worked his whole life for. Now if they are the primary earner, they will be the one getting robbed. They invented that trick and dont want to fall victim to there own hustle.
edit on 8-1-2019 by Traveler101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

But right now, women are still getting paid less and are still under-represented in leadership positions. So there is not a problem with women getting paid more and being represented more in leadership.

Where is the proof of this? It has been discussed by so many outlets, yet no actual proof has ever been given. The $0.77 number they usually use is based on median household income between men and women, which is completely ridiculous. There are so many factors why someone gets paid more than someone else (experience, time in service, qualifications, overtime, more commissions, shift differential, etc...).

I really would like PROOF that Company X has hired MAN X and LADY Y to do the same job (EXACT SAME JOB) and that both employees were hired close to the same date and their resumes were identical, yet come pay day LADY Y made $0.77 and MAN X made $1.00 (taxes and all deductions being exactly the same as well). Not one person has ever proved this...but as usual per society these days we go with emotional drivel rather than actual fact.

If anything the pay gap or inequality favors women in some fields. Police, Fire, Military especially. These positions pay exactly the same to both men and women, yet the requirements for the women are far less then the men, so, how is that equality and fair to men? Notice, you never hear them screaming to up standards to reflect earning the same pay as the males. So this argument isn't rooted in emotion, it is fact unlike the pay gap argument.

My point is, these days sex, race, and now social beliefs dictate so much crap. If you are a progressive and just go with what society says is "good" you are ok. If you in any way don't agree with that angle or have proof to the contrary, oh boy! Oh and just so the bases are covered, yeah I am sure somewhere out there a woman IS being paid less then a man because the company is deciding to do so, but I bet a man is also out there getting the shaft too, so we are back too this really having never been proven true.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Traveler101

but, if they had been married for years and he has consistently insisted that she stay home, to clean HIS house, to take care of HIS kids, cook HIS food, to wash HIS CLOTHES, because well, you know why should he have to come home from a hard days work and have to do any of that stuff so she can work....
then, ya, he might have earned the money to buy all this stuff, but she was the one putting in the energy and time to prepare it and maintain it.
so ya, alimony, because his insistence that she be his maid, cook, nanny to HIS kids, ect has interfered with her current ability to earn a decent living, c hild support because he has left the bulk of those duties in her hands, and a portion of the assets that were accumulated through their marriage.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I've spent years in a southern pentecostal church in texas. We used to go out after church services to the nearest waffle shop or if sunday maybe the mexican resturant or catfish house all together. I've listened to plenty of debates as to what was wrong with the southern baptists beliefs and how they weren't true christians. What came to my mind and still does are those saducees and pharisees in christ's times standing around in the public places showing off the intellectual "wisdom" trying to out do one another. funny thing is, I also see a resemblance of those saducess and pharisees in today's political debates between the republicans and democrats. like it's been the same argument going round and round throughout history.

Jesus promoted peace. Many of His instructions were aimed specifically at the Jews, and concerned themselves with Jewish custom in order to maintain peace. Yes, it was Jewish custom at that time for women to not speak in the church. The Epistles quoted are actually letters that were written to various groups by the early followers of Jesus. In them, these followers followed Jesus' example and recommended not going against the local customs, to prevent offense that could have torn the church apart.

and, that is about the position I take when it comes to the position of women not only in marriage, but when it comes to positions of leadership, in the workforce, ect. but, I didn't come to that position because of anything I heard in the churches I've been to. not that pentecostal church where I heard that "well if her husband doesn't want her coming to church, maybe she shouldn't" which gave me the impression that hey, maybe I need hubby's permission to go to church. Which led me to hey, maybe I need his permission to even accept salvation? which led to the idea that hey, it's just a two for one special deal for satan, since God gave the man complete domain over his wife in all things..
which led me to find another diety!!!
it only took one church service, and I wanted to walk out within the first few minutes of that, to know that the methodist church was preaching the same bit.
another northern protestant church??? nope!!
knew better than to try the catholics. protestant maybe?? nope!!!

okay....wiccan, shamanism, nature goddesses?? oh ya!!!

but for this thread, all I am saying is that the position that the churches have taken, which has changed quite a bit even in my lifetime, has served to cause some of the chaos we are seeing today! and you are not gonna be able to persuade me otherwise with the experiences that I've had in my lifetime! insinuating that I don't know what I am talking about because I haven't really read the bible ain't gonna work when I've read the book thru many times, searching for an answer I never really found, or if I did, I refused to accept because quite frankly it didn't matter if I accepted or not I was still stuck waiting for a husband to decide to grant me the freedom to follow my heart in the matter.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I see two issues:

I've spent years in a southern pentecostal church in texas. We used to go out after church services to the nearest waffle shop or if sunday maybe the mexican resturant or catfish house all together. I've listened to plenty of debates as to what was wrong with the southern baptists beliefs and how they weren't true christians.

What people call a "church" is not a church. A church is not a building, nor is it a social club. Jesus defined the Church as the entirety of His followers in fellowship; what we tend to call a church today is not the entirety of His followers, and they are most certainly not in fellowship when they are having debates over how "un-Christian" others among them are.

Before Jesus, there were many rules in the Jewish community as to who could speak for God, who could visit Temple, who could make prayers, etc. These were in full operation in Jesus' time as a man. The single greatest gift He gave to mankind was to allow us to all have an open, honest, sincere relationship with God. That's where the disconnect comes from: that preacher is not a prophet (usually). He is only there as a leader, not as a supreme judge. Many denominations call their preachers "ministers"; a minister is one who ministers, i.e. helps and serves others. You are not there to comply with the wishes and teachings of the preacher. He is there to assist, guide, and serve you.

and, that is about the position I take when it comes to the position of women not only in marriage, but when it comes to positions of leadership, in the workforce, ect. but, I didn't come to that position because of anything I heard in the churches I've been to. not that pentecostal church where I heard that "well if her husband doesn't want her coming to church, maybe she shouldn't" which gave me the impression that hey, maybe I need hubby's permission to go to church. Which led me to hey, maybe I need his permission to even accept salvation? which led to the idea that hey, it's just a two for one special deal for satan, since God gave the man complete domain over his wife in all things..
which led me to find another diety!!!

It is not possible to accurately understand the Bible without some amount of divine inspiration. That was the whole point behind restrictions on who could do what. Only certain people, oftentimes certain people from certain tribes, could understand the Holy writings, and thus only they could actually conduct the business of the Temple. That tenet is based on the fact that mankind had sinned before God and was unable to pay for his sins as the price was death. Thus, it was up to God to get His message to the people without being able to have a true relationship with His people.

How many times have you heard the phrase at Christmastime, "Peace on earth; good will towards men"? It makes no sense in a world that seems to hate everyone in it. That's because it is not talking about the world making peace; it is talking about God making peace with the world. It is talking about allowing people to once again, as in the days of Eden, come to God for an actual relationship. The day Jesus died hanging on that cross, God paid that price man could not pay, and the Temple veil, the barrier that prevented ordinary people from being able to experience God personally, was ripped in two.

Quit listening to other people telling you what you can and cannot do with and for God. He wrote a book; why listen to interpreters when you can read the book? That's where the religion resides... not with a select group of people, but with every person having a relationship directly with God. You will find that those scribes and Pharisees have even more wrong than you originally thought.

Incidentally... I do not understand the whole concept of finding another deity. A deity is not something you pick up at the corner market. If a deity is unacceptable to you, then either you have missed the mark or there was no deity to start with. It ain't mix-n-match.

"Attention, K-Mart shoppers! We have a bluelight special on deities in aisle 12. Save up to 50% on deities for the next 15 minutes! Limited supplies available, so first come, first served!"

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'd like to know who actually believe women are capable or running a world built by men, so I could avoid those people.
edit on 8-1-2019 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:39 AM
link   

it's just a matter of shifting your focus onto another facet of the original creator.

no human created deity can fully reflect the full essence of the creator since they are created and defined by men according to their understanding and gaining that understanding is like studying the sun via a microscope. you only can see a small portion of the whole.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:07 AM
link   

no human created deity can fully reflect the full essence of the creator since they are created and defined by men according to their understanding and gaining that understanding is like studying the sun via a microscope. you only can see a small portion of the whole.

That I can understand and agree with.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I think it was Chris rock who said , when women ask about their female friends new man

the first question they ask is " what do they do for a living "

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Some women don't want to date/marry men who make less than them...who cares? That's personal preference.

Some men don't want to date women they find unattractive...again, personal preference.

The institution of marriage is beginning to fail/crumble/whatever because it's a pretty ridiculous notion in general. It's so ingrained in our society that people feel obligated to get married, marry the wrong person, and then decide to divorce. But without a doubt, people can be completely happy throughout their entire lives without marrying. I have an aunt on my mom's side that never married, and an uncle on my dad's side that married at 18 and divorced at 22, never married again. I remember him being one of the kindest, most sincerely happy people I've ever met. Rode a motorcycle everywhere, had remote work so he went from city to city whenever he wanted. Vegas for a couple years, Dallas for a bit, Portland ME, etc. No one to answer to, did whatever he wanted, was happy. My aunt, she's still alive and kickin, living in Thailand. I believe she's lived in 11 countries at this point, and visited about 50 others. Elderly, but is very involved in a thriving expat community. Never had the urge to marry, would rather see the world on her own dime, and is doing a great job of it.

Marriage isn't a thing that has to be done by someone in order to be happy, and if you believe that a person isn't complete until they marry, then maybe you should re-examine your life, maybe get a new hobby. People can be complete without a significant other in their lives.

And if someone does decide to get married...it's up to them and only them who they marry (arranged marriages aside). Personal preferences mean something, and shouldn't be pushed aside. Some women want to marry men that are the breadwinners...so be it. Some women would rather be the breadwinner...so be it. Gotta marry a tall guy? Good for you for knowing what you want. Don't want to marry an overweight girl? Same idea, good for you for knowing what you want.

Bottom line, women marrying or not marrying someone based on their income is NOT a reason for the downfall of marriage, or of anything else negative for that matter. It's just personal preference.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

If your post is to say people are flawed then we all agree, not just Christians. Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
LMAO
Ok, I only read the OP.
First of all, the View SUCKS. Really. Don't watch that show.
Second, as a woman, that made a LOT more, than her husband for several years, REAL MEN DON"T CARE!!!
My hubby works at a job he loved.
After working many years at a job he hated, but made good money.

Thank god he was secure enough in his manhood, to actually talk to me as an adult, and have us make a decision together.

I feel bad for the men of today. Women have beat them down so far, they are no longer men.
I am ASHAMED of what SOME women today have become.
Men hating monsters.
Good luck with that.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   
No they are just nuts - they will run around saying women don't need a man - till it comes time for a divorce and alimony, suddenly they can;t live without them.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join