It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google search possibly racist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Found this out today and i find it disturbing to say the least.

When doing a Google search for the word "jew" it comes back with the message "offensive search results"

This is the explanation it gives.

www.google.com...

Try it for your selves.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I just typed it in and didn't get offenseive results, but what you are refering to is something called googlebombing. Basicaly its an act that gets a site to the top of a list by "bombing" the site with hits. Here is something from the site:

If you're visiting Jewschool to participate in our Googlebomb campaign to knock the antisemitic site Jew Watch out of the top spot on Google when searching for the word Jew, you can find the appropriate directions here.

www.jewschool.com...

The rest of the small piece is on the side bar near the bottom

[edit on 2/27/2005 by Huria86]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This is somewhere in the area of 2 years old.

Google explained it at this link: www.google.com...

It's a machine.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I wonder if theres any other offensive words?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Google is running into the problem of unsympathetic/unempathic computers that are ranking pages for them on the internet. It's not entirely their fault. When someone invents real intelligence for computers, then this would be an issue to wonder about. Of course, some people have tried to argue that Google's ridiculously large network of computers is "alive" somehow.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I find that fasinating, that a program could be alive. I see so ther is some vote for offensive words?

I will give three cheers for whoever finds another offensive word thats google disrupts with "offensive serch results"

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by fuggeisgod
I find that fasinating, that a program could be alive.
Well, hey, some people still want to believe that the earth is flat.

It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by fuggeisgod
I find that fasinating, that a program could be alive. I see so ther is some vote for offensive words?

I will give three cheers for whoever finds another offensive word thats google disrupts with "offensive serch results"

Trust me, I've been working with computers/servers for years. I've come to believe that they all have a mind of their own

On another note, Google is notorious for modifying search results. Not necessarily offensive words though, try these searches:

(use the I'm feeling lucky button, and keep the quotes)

"french military victories"
"Miserable Failure"
"go to hell" - No longer works, but used to bring you to Microsoft.com

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
A few months back there was a controversy involving the google search query of "black people." The return had sponsor Ebay displaying 'black people for sale on Ebay, discount prices' at the very top of the page.

Sick.. But google has since fixed the problem
So if you want my opinion, they're either oblivious towards these mishaps, or they're simply racists pranksters..

[edit on 3-3-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I always thought the one where you type "weapons of mass destruction" and I feel lucky was a funny one. Not sure if it still works though.

Edit: Nope does not work anymore, takes you to the treasury department now.

[edit on 3-3-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Google also states, "We're disturbed about these results as well. Please read our note here.

I remember that the WMD took you to a fake Google page that said something like, "Sorry, we cannot find any WMDs".

The site owner got his rank up in Google so that it was the first page listed.

top topics

join