It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Could Lose Food Assistance If Government Shutdown Continues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

So now we are worried about the poor corporate groceries? LMFAO

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I edited my post.
in all fairness

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

As Mr. Trump began exploring a presidential run in 2014, his political advisers landed on the idea of a border wall as a mnemonic device of sorts, a way to make sure their candidate — who hated reading from a script but loved boasting about himself and his talents as a builder — would remember to talk about getting tough on immigration, which was to be a signature issue in his nascent campaign.

“How do we get him to continue to talk about immigration?” Sam Nunberg, one of Mr. Trump’s early political advisers, recalled telling Roger J. Stone Jr., another adviser. “We’re going to get him to talk about he’s going to build a wall.”

Talk Mr. Trump did, and the line drew rapturous cheers from conservative audiences, thrilling the candidate and soon becoming a staple of campaign speeches. Chants of “Build the wall!” echoed through arenas throughout the country.

LINK

the wall was just a memory gimmick. not one bit surprised..

i hate that food stamp recipients will be effected soon. i do think some republicans are waking up to the nonscence.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Ohhh yeah nice edit after you noticed that I was actually answering your questions.

Which makes your edit actually a bit stranger.

you said that...

It's easy to state your agenda I was hoping for a little intellectual honesty.

I don't have a agenda as such I have a political view point, in my view this Shutdown is the fault of Trump, just like you have a political viewpoint that its not all his fault. I do not question your intellectual honestly because you have a different opinion from me so I think it would be nice if you could do the same.

You failed.

At what, and I mean specifically how am I failing all I am doing is stating my opinion just like you are giving your opinion.

I don't see either of us "failing" although I would say that you don't seem to have really expanded on your opinion all that much so am not quite sure yet what your views are on the shutdown.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
How exactly, does a wall secure our border? a reply to: Aallanon

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

The funding is for everything the border authorities wanted /needed to complete their job.

People don't get it. It's not a comic book where some idiot is trying to lay a wall across our southern border.

You can't do that for many reasons. This is BORDER SECURITY funding. Surverilance drones., yes fencing and physical barriers , and stuff like buildings and facilities so agents can patrol less enormous swaths of land in between stations.

Our LEOS that we asked to do this job on our border ASKED us for tools to do that job.

This is that. Fund it.

This is hardball and I hope someone gets hurt so people stop playing. Yes it's serious. Take it seriously.

edit on 1 6 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
How exactly, does a wall secure our border? a reply to: Aallanon

The same way it has since the beginning of time. It’s gets in the way.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

the edit was simultaneous.

I am all for the shutdown. government is to big.

I see brinkmanship on both sides.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Well, if China refuses to buy the food that U.S. farmers grow and there is a shortage of funds to pay people to feed themselves and family, then wouldn't it be prudent to have the surplus of crops get distributed to those that are hungry?

At some point in time a generation is going to have to get resourceful and find ways to sacrifice a bit of their own comforts for the betterment of tomorrow's generations. I prefer the avenue of proposed solutions as opposed to the idle state of waiting for another source to provide for me.

Feed the hungry... just not Doritos please.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

From your NYT link (why did you hide it?)

It would be a presidential legacy that future generations could see and touch, an accomplishment that would last for ages.

Nutshell

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

the edit was simultaneous.

I am all for the shutdown. government is to big.

I see brinkmanship on both sides.

And so do I so why the accusation of "failing" and being "intellectually dishonest"

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

nope, trump said the other day a continuous wall is needed otherwise people will go through the gaps.

so, which is it.. cuz, democrats have ALWAYS been for border security.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

And I don't care. He is a president. Not ICE leadership.

The technical details we could misquote or take out of context don't change the underlying fact that our border enforcement agencies ASKED for things they NEED to do their job.

Fund that. Let the actual planners who live and breath this answer fine details about the project.

Wildlife for one, needs to be able to cross. Maintenance on physical barriers where not feasible on a regular schedule have to be augmented or swapped with electronic equipment and precision sensors. Etc.

No funding is wrong on so many levels. If you guys are reasonable then fund our border security NOW. not in other years. Do it NOW.

edit on 1 6 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

This is one of the wired things that you notice even on these boards.

Trump supporters are so inconsistent in what they think this wall actually is.

Some of them say its a metaphorical wall, its about using technology and increasing patrols then others talk about it like its a physical wall. Which is understandable because Trumps promise was a big tall concrete wall that Mexico would pay for. He broke that promise and now he is trying to get the taxpayer to pay for a fake-wall so he can keep his supporters happy. The very same supporters who don't seem to even know themselves what the wall actually is.

Its all very strange....

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

You ascribed a political reason for Trumps support of the wall

Trumps wall isn't really about boarder security is about pushing forward his nationalist and isolationist ideology,

You ascribed altruistic motivations for Nancy

I think Nancy is just playing a game of damage limitation.

ETA after typing and reading this I could be wrong about the Nancy part. sorry
edit on 6-1-2019 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Edited
edit on 6-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Then why oppose it so vehemently?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

I have said I think both are wrong.

Let me be very clear I was only giving a opinion on what I think their motivations are, you asked me what I thought Nancy's motivation was and I told you.

Honestly I think we might be debating this on different levels because you haven't really been posting anything other than trying to ascribe some kind of agenda to my views.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

Then why oppose it so vehemently?

I have explain this to you now several times I think.

Kind of starting to feel like your trolling me.

Do you realise actually that you just asked me why I oppose a inconsistent wall

edit on 6-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I've noticed the same thing.

blaming democrats has been consistent, tho. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join