It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Sitcoms for Political Turmoil

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: StallionDuck

Stay up to watch Stephen Colbert’s opening skits. Let me know if you see anything enough to smirk let alone laugh. And keep in mind that CBS drops a cool $15 million a year on him.

I watch Colbert also. Sometimes I see good points and sometimes it's total BS but he still makes me laugh. Like the others, when I watch it, I know what I'm going in for. It's a different mindset and they've always been that way. It's understood since it's political at birth. I don't see them as the rest because with or without Trump, they would still be the same. They aren't going militant on us as the rest appear to be.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. You talk about freedom but someone elses freedom of speech causes you to rant a few hundred words long.
To then go on and claim you're upset about the double standard of the other side without seeing your own is pretty pathetic, don't you think?

But they never said that other persons freedom of speech should be outlawed. They merely used THEIR freedom of speech to disagree.

The "other side" regularly tries to outlaw or otherwise physically force others not to be able to use their rights.

Heck, they just entered a bill to abolish the electoral college! How retarded could you be to defend "the other side" after all they've done?

This ATS member merely complains and you try to compare it to what the Lefists have done? Sorry not gonna work here. Go find someone more gullible, maybe down at the elementary school.

So what's your problem? There is no double standard HERE...

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Yeah and that's kind of the problem you have, Calling me retarded for something I never said.
Great discussion skills

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: 3n19m470

Yeah and that's kind of the problem you have, Calling me retarded for something I never said.
Great discussion skills

Great way to turn it around and play the victim.

It was a question, perhaps rhetorical but still a question nonetheless. I took "you" as a general reference, not as YOU personally.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Thank you for getting back to me after my relatively terse response to your OP.
I understand your revulsion to the manipulation you now see going on in that particular program. And I agree. This is why I only watched one episode, years ago. Only one.

For one, that laugh track that I mentioned in my first reply. That alone is one of the worst manipulative tools used in sitcmos and is used not only your in show, but the majority of popular culture sit coms. And this is not a recent innovation. It goes all the way back to the inception of sit coms.

Some can stand on their own, without that laugh track, but the majority depend upon it to manipulate how viewers think on a subconscious level, that they are laughing at the same things that others laugh at. This is the illusion of the wisdom of the crowd. That if everyone else thinks it funny, it must be funny rather than relying upon ones own discrimination of that is and what is not, funny.

An interesting observation of that laugh track is one I found. There seems to be a pattern to the manner in which it is used. I forget now exactly how it went because I did it so long ago, but generally it goes something like, this.

Chuckle pause, chuckle again, short chuckle, then major laugh out loud guffaws. Over and over again, Patterned responses though out the show, week after week it is the same pattern. From one specific show to another, the same patterned responses.

Again, I understand the attraction to this show. The stupid things they do. The idiotic interplay and all. I myself am now an old man, a child of the tube. I was raised on Laurel and Hardy, as stupid a pair as there ever was. Abbot and Costello, two more great stupids. And of course Dump and Dumber. Real dumb. But I for one will not have with anyone telling me just what to find funny and what not to.

As a sidelite to this is comedy in the movies. I have noticed now that the trailers shown on tv and in previews of comedies, they choose what they think will be the draw moments, those bits that will attract people to come to the comedy movie.
I get that sure. But what I noticed was more interesting. In going to some of the movie comedies, I noticed that for the most part, most of the audience would laugh ONLY AT THE PLAYING OF THE BIT THAT THE TRAILERS TOLD THEM WOULD BE FUNNY. Much of the rest of the humor is not got, is not found to be funny. But when one of the trailer moments arrive, its laughter through out the crowd.

As well, there is the juvenilezation of culture happening there. The aiming of not only laughter but serious moments as well. Keeping people laughing at things that would seem funny only to children and immature people.
If this were limited to only that particular program it would not really be a threat. However it is pervasive. It spans the majority of comedy programs and into many of the more dramatic programs as well.

Look at commercials. INfreeking sipid. The bastardization of males and females alike is harmful. Using characters of people acting like 5 year olds to sell us their products is ludicrous. But it works. How do I know? Because they keep using that template to sell product. Now THAT is scary indeed.

So yea Duck, I agree with you. The only other thing I have to offer is the suggestion that you not just accept these manipulations because they transgressed your belief in Trump. These manipulations are used against us all, liberal and conservative alike.

yours

T

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thanks for the response. I do see the wisdom in your stance. I was also raised on the old black and whites as well, though I can't say I'm an 'old man', even if I were, I would refuse! Though being mid 40s, I did live and grow up in a time when TV shows were leaps and bounds more quality than now. I still watch B&W movies and TV shows from time to time and I enjoy them. Though, I do get more of the subtle adult humor that never hit me when I was a kid. They did it in a way I just wasn't supposed to get but adults did, thus making those shows fit and enjoyable for all audiences. They weren't so politically and racially motivated as they are today. The only lessons you got out of it were the right lessons but they were enjoyment and suspense first.

I'm very happy that my early role models (aside from my parents and grandparents) were John Wayne (no matter how racist people see him today), Clint Eastwood (both western and any which way but lose), Buck Owens and Hee Haw, AnnnnnnDeeeeey!, Stooges, rascals and so many more. I like to think that because of this, I am a Man's Man, the real kind, not these social hippies of today with facial hair. Granted, I'm not as rough and tumble and old fashioned like my dad where the man is the head of the house and makes the rules and gets gruff and stern when a woman says something to show that he's wrong. Fun times

With the big bang theory, I enjoyed the characters and the nerdy humor. I enjoyed it because I 'got it'. I understood the jargon and the situations they found themselves in and even the stereotypes that I also lived with as a teen who enjoyed tech, especially back when the Commie 64 was an amazing advance in technology.

I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for drama and all the crying going on these days. Though even a garbage disposal can be overfilled and grind to a halt now and then. I think that's where I am now. It's so common, so constant, so abrupt and pushey. I just want a little peace and quiet with my TV show but even that form of entertainment is being ruined. It makes a person want to find new hobbies. Hopefully not one that includes throwing bowling balls off interstate overpasses.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

And that wasn't an answer to you.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Doesn't matter. Open forum. I saw it as I did and decided to add my 2 cents

<< 1   >>

join