It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who is your favorite historical figure?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hopefully i will learn about someone i have never heard of or thought much about

for me it has to be Leonardo da Vinci

an OG polymath

painter
scientist
musician
inventor
mathemetician

the Mona LIsa
Last Supper
Vitruvian Man

i have a book of his anatomical drawings. they are amazing

he invented war machines and flying machines.
he could write in mirror image

who is your favorite?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I kind of admire JFK. If the stories are correct, he went against the oligarchs and sacrificed his life for morals and righteousness. He possessed a strength of character I can only dream of having. (if the stories aren't true, lie to me please)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The first person that comes to mind for me is Benjamin Franklin.

- polymath
- inventor
- statesman
- scientist
- businessman
- printer
- philosopher
- author
- humorist
- musician

Instrumental in getting France involved in the American Revolution, thus turning the tide of the war.
Assisted in drafting both the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution
Invented the Lightening Rod, Bifocal glasses, and the Franklin Stove.

And for me his most important attribute: He was a lecherous old dog until the day he died.

-dex

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I'm totally with you on Leonardo.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I'm totally with you on Leonardo.

Albert Einstein for me.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I would have to say you have good taste!

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

As much as I admire all the founding fathers and early political giants of early US history, they all seem to have their odd quirks and strange history as well.

He also had syphilis, and like 5 mistresses. He was quite the promiscuous lady's man.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

He also had syphilis, and like 5 mistresses. He was quite the promiscuous lady's man.

So besides the STD part, would men put that in the negative column?

Asking seriously... I've never figured out men.

To the OP... I thought about it for about twenty minutes and couldn't top Da Vinci.

Although I profess a weakness for Voltaire.

edit on 5-1-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

As much as I admire all the founding fathers and early political giants of early US history, they all seem to have their odd quirks and strange history as well.

I’ve got the t-shirt, “The Original Pimp” with Ben’s portrait on it.

Ben gets my vote, too.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

To the OP... I thought about it for about twenty minutes and couldn't top Da Vinci.

its hard to for sure

he was a bad ass

Archimedes is up there too

en.wikipedia.org...

was a Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer.[3] Although few details of his life are known, he is regarded as one of the leading scientists in classical antiquity. Generally considered the greatest mathematician of antiquity and one of the greatest of all time,[4][5]
Archimedes anticipated modern calculus and analysis by applying concepts of infinitesimals and the method of exhaustion to derive and rigorously prove a range of geometrical theorems, including the area of a circle, the surface area and volume of a sphere, and the area under a parabola

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Nikolai Tesla.

AINEC.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Jesus Christ.

Now, I already know what you're going to say to that:

"REEEEEEEEEE!!! I said historical figures not fictional characters!!!"

Don't care. Going with JC for the win.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
There are so many fascinating figures throughout that I don't know that I could signal out just one. How could you?

Sure there's Leonardo, but there are so many others who lived such interesting lives during interesting times. Even if they weren't the genius Leonardo was, their lives are still fascinating and they'd be fascinating too.

Julius Caesar
a lot of the Civil War generals
several authors
Winston Churchill
several scientists ...

Just too many to list.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
There are so many fascinating figures throughout that I don't know that I could signal out just one. How could you?

Sure there's Leonardo, but there are so many others who lived such interesting lives during interesting times. Even if they weren't the genius Leonardo was, their lives are still fascinating and they'd be fascinating too.

Julius Caesar
a lot of the Civil War generals
several authors
Winston Churchill
several scientists ...

Just too many to list.

That's where I got stuck thinking about just one... I mean, there are some amazing people listed so far, but there have been so many fascinating and interesting people that it's virtually impossible to single out just one, unless you have to pick one by their overall merit.

Most of the people I am interested about historically didn't have Da Vinci's resume, but the story of their lives is just as captivating to me as their accomplishments. Sometimes more.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I'd have to say Captain James Cook.

Navigator, explorer and discoverer with few equals.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

That's very true. Many, if not most, of our substantive historical characters had strange quirks and a checkered past. While I'm sure there are other figures that lead more chaste lives, none of them come to mind for me right now.

-dex

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain.

I think he would be someone to grab a beer with and then just sit back and listen to him. I have also thought that Ben Franklin or Thomas Jefferson would be fun to have dinner with as I appreciate their contributions to our nation’s history.

ETA. Someone mentioned Tesla which I also think would be amazing.
edit on 2019/1/5 by Metallicus because: Eta

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Thats to tough to limit to one person.

I'd love to have a long talk with several historical figures.

Martin Luther king
Eleanor Roosevelt
Lincoln

But if I could have some time with anyone from the past it would have to be my mother.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

So besides the STD part, would men put that in the negative column?

Asking seriously... I've never figured out men.

I'm sure I'm vastly more confused about women that you are about men. The human female is, to some extent, more evolved. Men are, by their very nature, more like dogs.

Some men can actually rise above their carnal nature. I applaud their efforts and wish them great success in their continued endeavors.

However, a lot of men are quite simply defined by their sexual needs. I have personally accepted my lasciviousness and embraced it; while simultaneously eschewing the more evolved approach typical of most women.

At least give me some credit for being honest about it.

-dex

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Thats to tough to limit to one person.

I'd love to have a long talk with several historical figures.

Martin Luther king
Eleanor Roosevelt
Lincoln

But if I could have some time with anyone from the past it would have to be my mother.

we can go with that too

not just who is our favorite but who would we like to chill with for a while.

thats a mind bender right there

imagine hanging out with Rasputin for a couple hours?
wtf right

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join