It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

quick Foldscope review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
First,

Thank you Dr UAE. i had never heard of this until your thread.
good tip

your thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am pretty happy with it. it does not function like i thought it would from watching the videos but that is more about me being stupid and not the scope sucking.

pretty easy to put together. probably would have been a lot harder if not following the video.

i got the kit on amazon for $30
comes with a lot of stuff. of course all the parts to put together the scope. an extra lens and coupler so you can view through a phone.
blank slides. slides with samples already on them. one of mine is a fern.
real nice case for it. all kinds of little stuff to help you collect and prepare slides. tweezers. bags. etc

you definitely have to be outside to use it. ambient light from in the house does not work.

what i dont like about it is you have to kind of smash it up against your eye. i mean you have to be right up on it pressing it to your face.

from sliding the parts around trying to focus the paper frame of it is already getting creased a little.

my daughter and i were able to see just fine though the fern sample and the sample i prepared.

in a little while we are going to go try to find some moss so we can try to capture a look at a tardigrade.

i would much rather pay say $100 and have it be made of something else so it would be more sturdy. printed plastic or something.

i dont see any reason why it wouldnt be. once it is all folded you do not need to unfold anything to remove slides or to change the lens.

would be real nice to have it be a bit more rigid.

i have not done this yet but you can stick a magnetic coupler over the camera lens of your phone and then attach the scope right to it so you can see the image on the screen and not smash it up to your face and also take a picture of what you are looking at.

that is probably the way to go. i just need to take my phone out of the case to try this.
probably will if we find a tardigrade.

if you have young kids i would recommend this just to see if it sparks their interest.

for 30 bucks what the hell? its worth it for sure even if it does not last a long time.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Thank you for the review ,we will be adding this to the supply list.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Thank you for the review ,we will be adding this to the supply list.

no problem

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
i am liking it more and more.

there is a little LED in there and i attached the magnetic coupler to it and then held the scope to it so we can use it in the house.

it works very well

my daughter and i looked at

my blood
my spit
a sample of a fern
her skin cells

very easy

definitely have to order more slides

i didnt realize it had the LED when i first used it

definitely cool

my daughter just scratched her arm like she had an itch
i put some scotch tape sticky side down on her arm then sticky side down on the middle of a slide

slid it into the scope and put the LED on the back and it was that simple

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
www.amazon.com...=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

100 slides and covers for $6.99 with free shipping

ordered them

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

i dont see any reason why it wouldnt be.

Because to be honest it wasnt made for just curious consumers, it was made to ship cheap to 3rd world countries, at least thats what their testimony video says.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

i dont see any reason why it wouldnt be.

Because to be honest it wasnt made for just curious consumers, it was made to ship cheap to 3rd world countries, at least thats what their testimony video says.

one of the uses sure

there is a whole community of people that do not live in 3rd world countries that are sharing what they find.

it just seems a bit flimsy.
it would be so much better if it were just a touch more sturdy

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Dr. UAE,

i want to say thanks again for your thread on the foldscope man

my daughter and i have been having a lot of fun and this seems to have really peaked her interest in microscopy.

i never even thought of looking into it.

i am already going to upgrayed(inside joke)

found a real nice legit scope for $130 that has a camera and you can hook up to your computer

comes with slides

i already ordered 100 slides and covers to make our own slides but i also found a set of 100 prepared slides that i am going to buy.
has samples of pig nerves and rabbit heart.

super cool

thank you sir

new topics

top topics

join