It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for January 2019 - GOING HOME [GH2019]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This is a Short Story Contest Thread!

It is open to all members of ATS.

There are prizes to be won in the form of ATS "Applause" and even the opportunity for entrants to acquire official ATS "writer" status!
But it is more about sharing our creative ideas, encouraging & developing new talent and having Fun!

This month's theme is "GOING HOME"
It was chosen by our current Contest Champion olaru12.
We're keeping the format quite "loose" this month.
Paraphrasing olaru's own words:

"I'd like to let the members decide what format they want to use; poetry, short story, experimental narrative, stream of conscienceless... whatever."

So, there you have it. You are tasked with writing a short story, poem, stream of thoughts or whatever writing format you prefer which contains (or relates to) the theme "GOING HOME"

Rules Of Entry:
Original written entries only please.

The contest will run from NOW to Thurs 24th January 2019.
(Any submissions after that date will be disqualified.)

A period of ONE WEEK after the closing of the contest will be provided for voting.

All T&C's Apply.

All entries MUST include [GH2019] in the title. (e.g. "I'm Going Home" [GH2019] )

All entries must be posted in their own thread within the SHORT STORIES forum, with a link (to your entry) added in this thread.

There is no specific word count this time around, but PLEASE bear in mind that it is a SHORT STORY contest.

Also, please END your submission with "THE END" so that everyone is clear that your entry is complete.

One entry per member please.

WINNERS:
There will be 3 winners among members who already have ATS "Writer" status, prizes as follows:

1st Place -- 5 Applause, and selection of the next contest theme (limited to one in a row)
2nd Place -- 3 Applause
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

There will also be 3 winners from the non-writer category who will receive the following:

1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

Scoring

Points are awarded by ATS members giving FLAGS to their favourite story threads and STARS to their favourite story posts.
(You can award a Flag and/or star(s) to any stories that you like, but please don't give flags or stars for any other reasons.)

Flags awarded will be worth 2 points each.
Stars will be worth 1 point each.
*Stars for subsequent posts (i.e. additions to the story after the initial story post) will be worth 0.5 points.

If the winner of the "Writers" section is the same person who chose the current theme, then the opportunity to choose the next theme will fall to the runner up.

Our theme creator olaru12 will be happy to answer any queries or questions relating to this months theme, and I'm happy to answer anything related to the general contest rules etc.

As always, Good Luck and Have Fun! - Now GO HOME story... you're drunk!

G
edit on 5-1-2019 by Gordi The Drummer because: fix spelling

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Back in the saddle mate.

Great theme, can't wait to see 2hat everyone comes up with.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm thinking about it. Great idea!

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Thanks Gordi and nice theme Olaru. Universal enough to encourage everyone to dive in and personal enough to accommodate deep dives; the amorphous medium requirement will let contributors come back with whatever they find on the ocean floor. I'll pull some strings, get some scuba gear and meet you all out there.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Looking forward to this months contributions from members.

Good luck and have fun everyone!

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
OH... for those voting, if you star someone's post and it doesn't look like it took, refresh the page. Sometimes you will see that it did take, but sometimes you have to give it star again before it takes. Just a heads up.
edit on 5-1-2019 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Here is my entry...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Super new contest, good theme.

I’ll think about this this evening!

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well done Olaru!! What a good theme for a story!

I'm going to have a good think about it and check out the quality submissions. I had a beginner's luck moment in the other comp and won't be posting again unless a good idea appears out of the blue.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Always looking at these but never written anything before, thought it might be fun, should have checked my spelling and such though Ha!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Here is my entry Long Flight Home

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I had not planned on writing anything but it happened. The story will not be popular as some things in life are better not thought about. God bless all those who have to endured and survived.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I have read some great stories so far.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Inspiring theme this month. My entry is here: The hard, easy trip back home

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This was a very theraputic write. Thank you olaru!

Also, incredible submissions so far. I know this theme is going to draw in lots of meaningful st (or maybe just fun!) stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This is your ONE WEEK WARNING! Folks
There is now less than ONE WEEK left to get your entries in for this month's contest.

Go on... You know you want to...!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Now They Have Both Gone Home - GH2019

The first part of this story got me writers status a few months ago. I thought I might finish it for this month's entry.

Now They Have Both Gone Home - GH2019
edit on 21-1-2019 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

A link to your story.

edit on 21-1-2019 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join