It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool Space junk or Long Meteorite seen in NZ in the daytime breaking up watch video!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Cool vids : wonder if it landed anywhere.... will post more vids as found....Breaking up and shredding as it goes....

www.nzherald.co.nz...

www.facebook.com...
edit on 5-1-2019 by TheJesuit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

I would have thought it was moving too slow to be a meteor.

It looks more like space junk reentering.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Different footage over on this site.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The cricket game footage is good.

Perfect cameras for it.

Space junk for me.

(Not expert opinion)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Could be. It's a hell of a sight on the cricket footage though.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

Many people captured it on video. I agree with Chad looks like space junk but it could be a meteor or maybe a UFO with a defective heat shield

We never get good video like this of UFO's, must be a reason for that.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It could be either, some meteorites seem to come in slower, I suppose it is either because of their initial speed entering the atmosphere or their weight. I have seen videos of slower and faster meteorites. The actual angle it is traveling is also involved in our perception of it's speed.
edit on 5-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It was a satellite!!! Russian early warning satellite cosmos!!!

Cosmos 2430 Missile Early Warning Satellite re-entry recorded over New Zealand

watchers.news...

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I am not sure how i insert the image, says insert from my library ? where is that lol

So here is a link

Cosmos 2430

edit on 5119 by Quadlink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Yes, it was the reentry of a COSMOS satellite: www.facebook.com...

www.satflare.com...

For the record, meteors from space travel much faster and burn up much faster too. If you see something travelling through the sky as slow as that "meteor" in the footage, it's actually a man-made object reentering from orbit.
edit on 7-1-2019 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Well, I am not an expert but the clip worth of 36 seconds is too long to be meteorite, most meteorites I have seen lasts no longer than few seconds at top perhaps 10 seconds before disintegrating into atmosphere.

I could be wrong but “space junk or satellite” makes more sense to me.

Nice post and thank you….

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Almost certainly a Zombie Satellite or other space debris either following a collision, or simply falling out of decaying orbit.

Over 20,000 'dead' pieces of space debris - a major traffic problem in LEO as more countries and private enterprise intend to to put thousands more up there - all with limited life spans (and frequent 'technical suicides').

What goes up, must come down. Usually, for now, there is enough open, undeveloped space (plus 72% ocean surface) to absorb it with relatively few mishaps (or even awareness) on the surface.

But that will change... Let's hope TPTB figure out an internationally agreeable and enforceable solution. Yah. Good luck with that. Politicians and CEO's rarely will do much to protect the masses -until the "oops" moment, after a Zombie satellite augers into a cruise ship, national monument, crowded event/venue, city-center, or politician/CEO's house, etc.

Until then - just keep your fingers crossed the stuff doesn't rain on you...

Zombie Satellites

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
For the record, meteors from space travel much faster and burn up much faster too. If you see something travelling through the sky as slow as that "meteor" in the footage, it's actually a man-made object reentering from orbit.

Careful wildespace - what you said there is inaccurate!

While it is true that MOST natural objects will be faster than man-made objects that are in orbit/reentering, that is NOT always the case!

In some rare cases, when a meteoroid/asteroid which is already relatively slow moving in it's orbit has to "catch up" with Earth, the relative velocity can actually be slower than many man-made objects in orbit. So we can't assume, just because an object is slow, that it is man-made.

This subject has been tackled on ATS before, for example in 2012 (you should remember this since you were actively involved in the discussion at the time), when a very slow event occurred over the UK (scroll down a bit).

The event was so slow, and at just the right angle/timing, so that the meteoroid (quite a large one) was actually captured by Earth's gravity and became a temporary satellite/moon of Earth. The same object was also observed over Canada!

Later analysis showed that the object eventually slowed to 9.2 km/s!

Of course, the classic example of this type of event occurred in 1913: Wikipedia - The Great Meteor Procession

Not only that, but the slowest natural meteors can be "not much faster" (even without having to catch up with Earth) than the fastest man-made objects which orbit at around 10-11km/s Max. For example, meteoroids belonging to the tau-Herculids meteor shower (which may produce storm level activity in 2022 - but that's another story!) enter the atmosphere at an average velocity of 15km/s.

That's really not a great deal of difference, and I think most observers would have a hard time telling them apart from man-made meteors!

new topics

top topics

join