It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Democrats Introduce Bill To Eliminate Electoral College

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

"A dictatorship of the majority"

LOL.

Yes a dictatorship of the majority. Only the most ignorant of people would laugh at something like this.

You need to avail yourself of a dictionary.

Next you'll be telling me I'm triggered or crying "REEEEEEEEEEE", or some other inane non-think.

link   
Republicans are trying to use every technique in the book to try and rule with a minority even when the majority is against it. They know they are losing out in the long run demographically. Look at how much REPUBLICAN voter fraud and corruption there was this year in the elections, and look at the REPUBLICAN effort to gerrymander to manipulate votes and suppress the majority. It reeks of desperation.

That being said, I can see the value in the electoral college. I'm just asking you to look at the other side of the coin and ask yourself how moral is it for Republicans to try and control the majority in a democracy even though they are beginning to become the minority?

In a democracy, the MAJORITY rules, not the minority. I know, you will say we are a republic. But that is just an excuse to be corrupt and get your way and not take responsibility for your failures and update your policies to get more votes.

I don't agree with abolishing the electoral college, but I certainly don't agree with how the Republicans are engaging in corrupt practices like gerrymandering and voter fraud and working to rig elections, either.
edit on 04pmFri, 04 Jan 2019 15:46:10 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

LOL.

You laugh, but certain minority groups would disagree with you.

In some countries, you get tossed off of rooftops (or stoned) for being in a minority. The majority thinks that's fine though. The problem with the idea of majority rule is that people who think it's awesome can't ever conceive of what it might be like to not be in that majority and forever compelled to go along against their needs and inclinations.

Are any of those countries where minorities are criminally oppressed, actually democracies? Because I don't think the true majority is ever cool with such things.

Go to Syria and ask them.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

How effing stupid are these idiots that the left elected?

Do they not have important things to do?

Aren't these the same people who think bullying is an impeachable offense? Meanwhile, they want to take any amount of equality and power from the smaller states, or in other words, the little guy.

#ing democrats. They're mirror images of the people they claim to hate and are too ignorant to know it.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Why don't you just stick with leaning to port, sir, and let the flapping-of-hands and gnashing of teeth carry on.

Fine. I need to go to Planned Parenthood and get my third abortion of the day.

Take two, they’re small.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm gonna go start drinking, it's Beer:30 here. Have fun storming the castle.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yes, the dictatorship of the majority.

Look at history before you scoff. I'll leave it to you to find examples that exemplifies that very concept.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

No mirrors, just projections.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Ummm, you don't gerrymander the Senate.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks to Kali, I have my tassled jackboots ready to rock, sir

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm gonna go start drinking, it's Beer:30 here. Have fun storming the castle.

It's zero dark Bourbon here, so have at it. Watching America die is a sad thing to watch.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No, perhaps not. I agree in so far as the odds go. Slim to very little.

All three of my grands all thought Prohibition wouldn't pass. Oops.

I'm not so gone to reality that I don't know the odds are long in the extreme, but they aren't none. That's quite aside from the time the House is going to waste by pursuing what is virtually impossible.

As many have already said, this is merely the opening salvo of Campaign 2020--Orange man bad.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

LOL.

Yes... it's called being a Democracy.

Which we most certainly are not... in fact the founding fathers stated many times that becoming a Democracy was what they feared the most.

History is fun!

Yet a state with about 500,000 people has the same power as a state with 35 million. And if you analyze the whole Electoral College system, the votes of only 270 actual people decide the President in a country of 320 million.

While those numbers might have worked for a new confederacy, it is totally out of whack for a modern nation with such a vast population.

The current system also gave you a choice between two really bad candidates for the Presidency at the last election.

Perhaps it IS time for revision?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Why are you even concerned with this? Neither has any chance of becoming a new amendment to the Constitution.

My concern is over the fact that this could even be a thought. That reeks of an unfit mentality. It tells me that they're not concerned about the interests of this country or its citizens.

link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

It will only die if you let it.

link   
Trump won more popular votes than Clinton—state and district popular votes—not to mention the only ones that count. I don't think the electoral college is something they can't come to terms with.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think you are correct, although there is plenty of gerrymandering going on in the House of Representatives. The Senate would be hard to gerrymander with only two senators per state. I don't think the setup we have now with the electoral college and Senate the way they are is corrupt, as it is working as intended.

I am just pointing out the trend of Republicans trying to rule as if they had a majority. When you are in the minority, you still have a say, but you don't get to be in charge!

In the long run, it seems to me as if this is a time of desperation for Republicans as they try to hang on to whatever they can to stay afloat. They might be able to use corrupt tactics to remain in charge for a while longer, but it won't last. They have to adapt to the times in order to stay culturally relevant.
edit on 04pmFri, 04 Jan 2019 15:54:47 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

link   

No. How about we remove Democrats from the government.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
We should all be okay with this. It takes out all the shady things that can happen and reduces it to what the people want.

If you look back historically only 3 elections have ever differed from Electoral and popular vote.

Two of them were clinton and Gore and there was some shadiness going down in Florida, but florida always has issues with elections. And everyone thought Clinton was going to win anyways.

You're argument will be that the electoral college makes is fair so that liberal strongholds don't decide presidents and without the electoral college we'll only get liberal presidents. That's not true. For proof I give you Ronald Reagon, George Bush sr and Jr.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

LOL.

Yes... it's called being a Democracy.

Which we most certainly are not... in fact the founding fathers stated many times that becoming a Democracy was what they feared the most.

History is fun!

Yet a state with about 500,000 people has the same power as a state with 35 million. And if you analyze the whole Electoral College system, the votes of only 270 actual people decide the President in a country of 320 million.

While those numbers might have worked for a new confederacy, it is totally out of whack for a modern nation with such a vast population.

The current system also gave you a choice between two really bad candidates for the Presidency at the last election.

Perhaps it IS time for revision?

It lasted fine for over two centuries.

You don't like Orange Man, We get it.

edit on 412019 by Wide-Eyes because: Accidentally smiled

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join