It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Israel Says Will Strike Syria if Needed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
On the heels of a suicide bomb attack that left 4 dead, Israel has warned that it may attack Syria. Israel has blamed Syria for the Tel Aviv nightclub attack. Palestinian leader Abbas also blamed a third party for the attack but did not specify who that party was. Israel has attacked Syria before in retaliation for harboring terrorist groups including Islamic Jihad as well as Hezbollah

story.news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM - Israeli defense officials on Saturday blamed Syria and a Palestinian militant group based there for a suicide bombing that killed four Israelis outside a Tel Aviv nightclub — threatening to shatter an informal truce with the Palestinians — and Israel warned it may attack Syria in retaliation.

Syria denied the charges, saying the offices of Islamic Jihad, the militant group that claimed responsibility for the suicide strike, have been closed.

Israel has attacked Syrian targets in the past and will do so again if it deems necessary, a senior Israeli defense official said Sunday. Deputy Defense Minister Zeev Boim said an attack will "send a message to (Syrian President Bashar) Assad" that he must clamp down on Islamic groups based in Damascus, his capital city.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It would seem that Syria has way overplayed its hand. Both in Iraq, then the assassination of the former Prime Minister of Lebanon, and now perhaps direct or tacit involvement in this. Assad does not seem to have the same grip on power his father had and it is possible that his whole intelligence service has been bought out from under him by Iran or any other Jihadist group. If the ties to Syria are proven, no doubt Israel will attack. I was heartened to see that according to the article that Israel is going to cut the Palestinians some slack as this was clearly not thier op.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Palestinians Angry Over Tel Aviv Attack
WAR: Israel Blames Syria for Tel Aviv Blast and Freezes Transfer of Palestinian Towns
WAR: Abbas Vows Punishment for Tel Aviv Bombing
TOP STORY: Nightclub Bombing in Tel Aviv - Four Dead, Dozens Injured

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
so would you say that isreal has a rite to atack syrian first?

what about starting it with iran? is that justifyied?

seems like everyday there is something new about the us or isreal atacking iran or syrian.

if bush atacks them i am done with him. unless god told him to do it...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The suicide bombing aroused panic among PA leaders. The PA will have difficulty assuming responsibility anyway, as its security branches are still shaky and divided.

Less than two weeks after the assassination of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri, with evidence of Syrian involvement piling up, Damascus is getting into more trouble. It seems that those groups like Damascus-based Islamic Jihad do not care on a hudna. Even if Syrian President Bashar Assad did not know in advance of Jihad's plans, he has been ignoring the organization's activity, which means there are "guests" in Damascus getting Syria into trouble with the U.S.

Israeli police went on their highest state of alert

Deputy Defense Minister Ze'ev Boim said in an TV interview that Israel could attack the headquarters of the Islamic Jihad in Syria, which claimed responsibility for the attack. Israel bombed a Islamic Jihad trainingscamp near Damascus, following an attack of the Maxim restaurant in Haifa on Oct 4. 2003 when 21 people were killed (including three children and a baby girl) and 60 wounded.

Rebekka

[edit on 27-2-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
More sabre rattling by the US and it's 'partner' Israel to stir up the hornets nest in the middle east and the corporate media helps with their hostile and aggressive agenda.

This is what happens when you steal another mans land.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 27-2-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Well why arn't i surpirzed, it seems syria has just signed it's only death warrent.

This just the excuse the US is waiting for, syria has moved up the list to no1 thanks to it being unable or unwilling to stop the terrisot running back and forth to iraq and elsewhere. and having offices in syria.

If syria want to stop the inpending attack then it really has to shape up it act and start putting it's money where it's mouth is, otherwise syria will end up getting invade by a joint us/israel force.

If saddams half brother who has just been caputured decides to sing and he states he been happily living in syria for the past two years with the full knowlegde of the syrian goverment,then syria will have a lot a bridge building to do,

well we all know that israel is just icting to attack them, and bush will happily let them take the lead and support them in any way he can, that way he can't be accused of invading anthor country for oil.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Israel's people are being killed in their own Cities. It has been going on for along time and their retaliation techniques have not worked in that it has stopped the killing of its men, woman & children. I don't see the reason for the continual killing. So, ' if your going to shoot - shoot !, don't talk'.

Not saying I support bombing another country, but I am saying they have the right to declare war if a country is responsible beyond any doubt, not just an idividual or a rogue group action.

Of course the human costs would be taken into consideration first, its called 'measured response'.

Its the same thing as Bush did, only the deaths were much higher in a single attack and so was the measured response, except I feel he went a little beyond and still goes a little beyond to this day.

If Canada became an EU member and another country invaded its country or took control of its Air Space, there could be a measured response by the union.

Dallas

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Who is benefitting from all this, Syria? erhm...no! Are they really that stupid ??

possibly, possibly not, for all i know it could be the iranians, preferring to have syria "liberated" by the americans instead of their own country, or even the mossad throwing bricks inside own windows, hey, no dirty trick in the book is unthinkable these days...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Who is benefitting from all this, Syria? erhm...no! Are they really that stupid ??

Of course Syria benefits.
The main way that these despotic regimes keep their people occupied is by the use of a scapegoat. It takes the population's attention elsewhere and keeps them occupied instead of looking at where the blame really lies.
Poor economy? Blame Israel.
Poor living standard? Blame Israel.
Poor access to information? Blame Israel.
Poor rights of freedom? Blame Israel.

Anything but focus the blame where it really lies - with the Syrian government.

Some Middle East governments thrive on the insecurity that we see in the region. It gives them an excuse to stay in power. Peace would mean that there is no scapegoat to blame and this will lead to problems. People will wake up to see that they have been duped - that the responsibilty for their hardships is down to their own governments and not the scapegoat as they have been led to believe. Once that happens, those totalitarian regimes are in big trouble.

Blame everything on the Jew. The society in which they live is immersed in this culture. Once the Palestinians and the Jews have made peace, it will be harder to lay blame. If you screw up and you can't blame anyone else, people are soon going to be looking at you.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
hmmm...
im not sure if Israel would really strike first, i think this is probably down to "war of words".

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
While Bush was bringing democracy to the Kremlin, it seems Putin might have brokered that bush will not attack iran , giving some hard insurrances about the spent iranian fuel etc.. But SOMEBODY has to get sacrificed and that might be Syria....

I cerainly agree that Israel historically has been a great tool for arab rulers to divert tension building amongst their own populations and while I do believe that Syria has produced its share of Iraqi insurgents, the TIMING and the short re-occurence of these events seem no to be favourable for the syrian regime UNLESS they purposely would want to go to war, wich we can't rule out either...

About the war of words, it all boild down to , if Syria really has significant numerical chemical missile strike capabillity to threaten the israeli. In that case it could remain a war of words, if not well , get your flipflops and RPG...

[edit on 27-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I find hilarious that Israel now no only has told Iran that will bomb them now its going to do it to Syria too.

Well US does not need to do anything then, let's Israel take care of Iran and Syria for us.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Oh no, you guys will get dragged into this mess one way or another...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
im not sure if Israel would really strike first

FIRST?

Did you not notice the attack Friday night?

Israel has a right to self-defense.

While Islamic Jihad officially took responsibility for the attack, and Abdallah Badran, the suicid bomber belonged to the Islamic Jihad organisation; Palestinian security sources said Saturday that the main suspect behind the preparation of the suicide bombing was a Palestinian officer who previously had been a member of the "western sector," a Fatah-affiliated terrorist organization operating from Jordan that recently had begun to work for Hezbollah. The sources said the officer, who had returned to the territories following the Oslo agreements, left before the intifada and recently began to collaborate closely with Hezbollah. ( haaretz)

One interesting fact, Israel Radio Zahal reported: The village of the Friday suicide bomber is not far from Israeli-Arab township Taibeh which is the home of Qayis Obeid, a drug dealer who became an very active Hezbollah member in Lebanon. He has very good connections in Tul Karm. Maybe he is behind the suicide bombing.

Regarding the planned release of 400 additional Palestinian prisoners, the defense minister said he would recommend that no Islamic Jihad operatives be released.

Rebekka

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It appears that Israel cannot buy a break thesedays. I think they need to put the maximun amount of manpower in the building of their"Great Wall" Maybe this will have an effect of deterrence on the Syrians, and any others who want to get in and do harm to Israel. I feel that even once the wall is compleated their adversaries will find a weakness and exploit it to their fullest. I wish Israel all the luck in the world because they are going to need it if this current atmosphere continues. How would you or I feel if a bunch of goons came into your hometown and started blowing up the 7-11 or the local store on the corner? I know how I would feel to protect my family and friends. I would do whatever it took to deal with 'em and if that meant taking them out before they could strike again, so be it.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I don't know Flynhigh, I even though for a while that a wall will be better, but then it will just become target to more attacks just to see who can take the wall down faster.

Remember the biblical story of Jericho

I feel that the Israel been the people of god by bible stories, should just ask the God of Abraham to protect them with miracles like in the old good days.

What you think.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
How would you or I feel if a bunch of goons came into your hometown and started blowing up the 7-11 or the local store on the corner? I know how I would feel to protect my family and friends. I would do whatever it took to deal with 'em and if that meant taking them out before they could strike again, so be it.

I hear what your saying, Flyin High, but the problem is that the Palestinians feel the same way. This is a problem that is never going to go away until one side decides that they want peace at all costs. If it means that they essentially "lose" out then so be it. Of course, this will never happen due to the fact that both sides feel the other are essentially heathens due to thier religious beliefs. Throw a very powerful body guard on the side of one of the players and you have the current mess that is the middle east.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I feel that the Israel been the people of god by bible stories, should just ask the God of Abraham to protect them with miracles like in the old good days.

Marg,

would that be your suggestion to the families of the dead ones?

e.g.: Yael Orbach,28, was set to marry her boyfriend of four years, Ofir Gonen, in three weeks, and had started to hand out invitations to the wedding just Thursday.
The couple went to the Stage club on Friday night for a night out, and Yael was killed in the suicide attack. Ofir was moderately wounded and is currently hospitalized.
Yael had studied acting, and was working at a Tel Aviv law firm.
She is survived by her parents and two brothers.
She was buried today in Kfar Sava.

Yehi zichram baruch

Rebekka

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Syria is a nation that knows no self-defense.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The only thing hysterical here is that if Israel sent delusional social pariahs into Damascus to blow up a nightclub, you would all cry for justice to be swift and harsh on the Israelis.

Does it bother you when you realize how inconsistent your thoughts on life are?

Oh and Asia Minor, not sure what you mean by that but if you're trying to portray Syria as being weak and defenseless, tell that to the Lebanese folks they treat so well

Riwka, according to marg and drfunk those 4 had no right to live anyways. Marg believe that the 4 of them should have thrown a staff on the floor and hoped for a sea to split (isn't it funny mocking the dead marg?) and drfunk believes they are fair game to be murdered due to them "stealing another man's land".

Just clarifying.

[edit on 2-27-2005 by Djarums]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Israel is tired and impatient. If they find concrete evidence that the Syrian government was behind the latest bombing in Tel Aviv(and I believe Mossad will), Damascus will burn.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join