It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Gates taking over US education policy? (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Recently Bill Gates spoke to a group of 45 of 50 state governors about the state of the US educational system. Improvements such as smaller class size and revamped material to be taught in schools are his way to combat the 68% of 9th graders who graduate on time and only 18% who graduate college on time.

asia.news.yahoo.com
The most blunt assessment came from Microsoft chief Bill Gates, who has put more than $700 million into reducing the size of high school classes through the foundation formed by him and his wife, Melinda. He said high schools must be redesigned to prepare every student for college, with classes that are rigorous and relevant to kids and with supportive relationships for children.

"America's high schools are obsolete," Gates said. "By obsolete, I don't just mean that they're broken, flawed or underfunded, though a case could be made for every one of those points. By obsolete, I mean our high schools _ even when they're working as designed _ cannot teach all our students what they need to know today."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree that an overhaul is required of the US educational system, however i disagree with Mr Gates on many points about the school system. I feel that there should be more responsibility on the students. If they don't want to go to school it should not be enforced by law. If students don't want to go to college that shouldn't have to. Not everyone is should goto college. We need mechanics and gardeners and other menial workers in this world. Hell plumbers can make more than the teachers that failed them in high school! Also i feel that the US school system should follow the rule of survival of the fittest: If a school cannot support itself then cut it off. No more state funded schools. These breed quotas and other evils that come from too much federal funding. Many schools go without so that other schools can have flight programs where kids will never use them. Privitize schools, give the tax payers a break, and not everyone needs to goto college...words to learn by.

join