It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake early warning app now available for LA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Los Angeles has become the first city in the U.S. to deploy an earthquake early warning app for the public. The app, called ShakeAlertLA, uses a network of seismic sensors distributed throughout the region to detect earthquakes and dispatch a warning to smartphones when shaking is expected in Los Angeles County.

It was developed by Mayor Eric Garcetti’s office in partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey, AT&T, and the Annenberg Foundation. “Angelenos should have every chance to protect themselves and their families when there’s a major earthquake,” said Garcetti in a statement.

“We created the ShakeAlertLA app because getting a few seconds’ heads-up can make a big difference if you need to pull to the side of the road, get out of an elevator, or drop, cover, and hold on.”

Earthquake early warning app now available for LA

A few seconds isn't much but It could save lives. When I saw the headline I thought it might use the machine learning earthquake prediction that there was a thread about on here awhile ago. Instead it uses a sensor network.

Other countries like Mexico use apps like this already and they are said to have saved lives.

edit on 3-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

That’s great news. How useful? Well seems like it saves lives, and saving on person is enough.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Why not just check planet alignment you will get better results,more of an indicator then sesmic instruments,can forsee them

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Thats great. In fifty years that Trump wall you guys keep talking about may also be exonerated.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I need to download that today! I meant to do it yesterday. 3 seconds gives you a chance to at least check your surroundings, and start moving accordingly. The thing is, I do not check my phone constantly, when I am home. When I am at work I do.

new topics

top topics

join