It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizonians Are Physically Attacking Self-Driving Cars to Protect Themselves and Loved Ones

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
link

Let’s get real: haven’t self-driving vehicles always seemed like they’re more trouble than they’re worth?
Activist Post doesn’t endorse vandalism or violence. However, this New York Times article, “Wielding Rocks and Knives, Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars,” seems too important not to share.
Automated vehicles are being introduced throughout the U.S. despite all their reported issues and accidents (including one fatality).

CHANDLER, Ariz. — The assailant slipped out of a park around noon one day in October, zeroing in on his target, which was idling at a nearby intersection — a self-driving van operated by Waymo, the driverless-car company spun out of Google. He carried out his attack with an unidentified sharp object, swiftly slashing one of the tires. The suspect, identified as a white man in his 20s, then melted into the neighborhood on foot.
link

I personally believe self-driving cars will be very challenging to work in a real-world situation.

Maybe I’m wrong but intuitively I doubt they will be practical and work. Safety and job security are in question.

It’s just too many variables in driving that I don’t think they can master.
Though they claim otherwise...And in the technology apparently, at present, Google is way ahead of Uber...

The truck makers admit it's not remotely ready. And when they are it will eliminate millions of jobs. I don’t think it’s worth it.

www.activistpost.com...

Of course, as usual, greed will win in the end in this civilization.

edit on 3-1-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Maybe I’m wrong but intuitively I doubt they will be practical and work. Safety and job security are in question.

Instead of relying on intuition read a white paper published by one of these companies on their technologies some time. Way more illuminating than gut judgments.

From your initial source:

Automated vehicles are being introduced throughout the U.S. despite all their reported issues and accidents (including one fatality).

There are roughly 30-35,000 fatalities on the road each year with fully NON automated cars.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I am aware of their claims. But when and if they clutter the roads with these vehicles, believe me, the statistics will change.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I am aware of their claims.

White papers aren't "claims". They are technical papers, often published studies.

But when and if they clutter the roads with these vehicles, believe me, the statistics will change.

They absolutely will.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Automated cars without drivers and non automated car will never be able to share the road. People will troll the crap out of them. Like switching lanes too close to them and making them slam on the brakes.

I think when they have automated cars to the level that they are better than non automated cars, the non automated cars will be outlawed. That will be a sad day.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

You think people will willfully put their own lives in danger to "troll" a car?

Why don't people do that to Teslas now? Everyone knows they CAN drive themselves.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I'm watching a series on Amazon Prime called Victoria.

There is quite the scene as Albert and Queen Victoria ride a train for the first time.

Many people of the time were completely against it. They thought it was too fast, too much too soon.

I think that's been the sentiment anytime we change our mode of transportation..

Progress can be scary

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Are automated car going to make us all better drivers? ... especially those of us that wont upgrade to driverless?

Imagine getting into an accident against one of these driverless cars.

Your going to loose every time in court against the Automated car .... especially if the automated car was 100% at fault.

As a result the human driver is going to drive much more defensively.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Your going to loose every time in court against the Automated car .... especially if the automated car was 100% at fault.

As a result the human driver is going to drive much more defensively.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Why would the autonomous car's owner win if it was at fault?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The issue with AI is that just before accident when it will have to chose who to save it most likely will chose to go with option that will allow it to save itself not some human that is about to crash.
It might be taught to do otherwise but we already saw how tricky and cheaty AI can be.
Unless I'm wrong and self driving cars don't employ neural/learning networks.
edit on 3-1-2019 by KiwiNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Am I the only one who finds this funny?

Rocks and knives VS cars?

So they break the windows and stab the tires?

In packs. Hunting and preying on unsuspecting driverless cars.....

OMFG.I am tearing up.

edit on 1 3 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
So some punk just vandalized a self driving car because no driver was present to kick his ass.
I’d trust a cold calculated machine over the better half of humanity anyway.

Let’s be real the people you see at Walmart drove there.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

You don't put your life in danger by switching lanes too close in front of a car. If you are going 70 down the interstate and switch lanes in front of a car doing 70, where is the danger?

Tesla's have people in them, your could get shot and that is putting your life in danger

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
One fatality from self driving cars compared to the millions that happen daily by idiot drivers

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

You said making it slam on its brakes. Is your life the only one of the highway? Or can we expect you to be the first to troll a car, make it slam on its brakes at 70 and hope to god the person behind them is far away enough?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

You think people will willfully put their own lives in danger to "troll" a car?

Most people will not put their lives in danger but they will put others in danger. I see it every day on the road.

I am just saying automated cars and non automated cars will not mesh and for that and other reasons non automated cars will be outlawed at some point.

edit on 3-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The future is here. The Probots vs Robophobes.

I wonder if they dream of electric sheep.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

It's going to be quite some time before non-automated cars are outlawed. Especially in the US.
edit on 3 1 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

You don't put your life in danger by switching lanes too close in front of a car. If you are going 70 down the interstate and switch lanes in front of a car doing 70, where is the danger?

People do. I've seen it the last two times I've been driving home from work.
A self important A-hole weaving in between tight traffic to the point of cars needing to break to keep from colliding, and the car moving so quickly between all 4 lanes (twice) that; one ended up on the unpaved shoulder and fishtailed passed 3 additional cars before being able to cut off another car to right itself on the road, and the other narrowly missing the center divide as it fought to keep itself in the fast lane.
It's not just that driver's life that's being put into danger.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Technophobes have always existed.

I've had mechanical engineers tell me that electronics is black magic and they hate it.

The truth is that this stuff isn't really that hard.
edit on 3 1 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join