It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STUDY - The Economy Would Barely Be Affected if this Government Shut-Down Lasted for 5 MONTHS.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Its not going to delay any refunds because they will be back at work. Tax returns cant be filed electronically until Jan29th.
If it lasted that long it would delay refunds but it wont. They already voted for ending it tonight.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Jan 29th

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: burdman30ott6
You cant even file your taxes until the end of this month and that only if you're filing electronically.
Otherwise you cant file till February. This isnt going to delay anyones refunds.

People who set their exemptions properly, don't have worry about obtaining a refund of their own money from the IRS.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Assassin82

Your Mom can work in the private sector until the government reopens. She will only have to work outside of government for a few months. Her skills, combined with a booming job market, should make finding a quick temp position, very easy for her.

It’s my wife, not my mom. Reading is harder for some more than others.

She can’t work in the private sector because she still has to report to work 5 days a week....without pay. For someone who is so obsessed with politics I thought you’d have known that.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

what does that have to do with this discussion?
Is this a thread about taxes?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

Your Mom can work in the private sector until the government reopens. She will only have to work outside of government for a few months. Her skills, combined with a booming job market, should make finding a quick temp position, very easy for her.

She can’t work in the private sector because she still has to report to work 5 days a week....without pay. For someone who is so obsessed with politics I thought you’d have known that.

Since government shut-downs are a relatively common occurrence, your wife's union should have group income-replacement insurance available for when the furloughs happen. Does it not?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

what does that have to do with this discussion?
Is this a thread about taxes?

No..this is definitely not a thread about taxes. But since you and TinySickTears were discussing refunds, I threw in my 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I have to believe you considering the source, the award-winning economists of the conservative tree house.

Lmao.

It's a good thing conservative treehouse economists weren't the source.

Reading the OP: a lost art.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: underwerks

I have to believe you considering the source, the award-winning economists of the conservative tree house.

Lmao.

It's a good thing conservative treehouse economists weren't the source.
Reading the OP: a lost art.

Member "Underworks" always does that. You learn who to ignore after awhile, LOL.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
What ever you do, don't show this study to any Keynesian Economists. They would try to find their multiplicative government spending effect somewhere.

edit for more content.

I find it humorous that New Keynesian economists find imperfect competition to be the reason for "sticky" market reactions... when the reason for the imperfect competition is due to government interference.
edit on 3-1-2019 by dubiousatworst because: more content rather than 2nd post

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Since government shut-downs are a relatively common occurrence, your wife's union should have group income-replacement insurance available for when the furloughs happen. Does it not?

She’s employed by the Department of Justice. There’s no union.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

She’s employed by the Department of Justice. There’s no union.

At least you know that she'll be brought back on board, and receive back-pay. The DOJ is a critical/important department of Government.

FYI Unemployment money should be available for her: federalnewsnetwork.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

are you also going to campaign against the huge number of illegals that are illegal cause they stayed too long and didnt jump the border?

just the border your concern?

Why don't Murder laws stop drugs from coming into the country? (hint, one isn't the other, even though they are both crimes)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Government partially shut down, yet the economy marches on.

A stellar 312,000 new jobs in America, just in the month of December!

apnews.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: TinySickTears

are you also going to campaign against the huge number of illegals that are illegal cause they stayed too long and didnt jump the border?

just the border your concern?

Why don't Murder laws stop drugs from coming into the country? (hint, one isn't the other, even though they are both crimes)

That's not what I asked but since you deflected to it.

Are you worried about all the illegal drugs coming in through the mail?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thousands of people forced into bankruptcy. Thousands of small businesses relying on government contracts for sales shuttered.

The hospitality and airline industry suffer, since the U.S. government is the single largest customer for those industries.

I could go on.

AS long as you've got yours, I guess.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

well, it is the largest customer of a lot of things, as the US government is also the largest employer in the US. Frankly it is a broken window fallacy, as those people employed by the government have to produce something tangible or useful in the first place for that to be considered an actual loss. However in most cases the only thing they produce are forms in triplicate and red tape. Now those are markets that will definitely be held back

added a citation just so you don't have to go looking for the info.

www.bls.gov...
Federal government: 2,795,000 (in 2016)
fortune.com...
Walmart: 2,300,000
edit on 5-1-2019 by dubiousatworst because: added citations and numbers

Also if you include State and local government's 19,427,900 employees, you start to see a trend in government being way to large.
The US work-force (people who are classified as employed or unemployed and over the age of 18) is 157,833,000.
So that means the the Government in Federal, State, an Local forms employs 22,222,900 people which is 7.1% of the working age population

edit on 5-1-2019 by dubiousatworst because: kawalski: analysis

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Its not going to delay any refunds because they will be back at work. Tax returns cant be filed electronically until Jan29th.
If it lasted that long it would delay refunds but it wont. They already voted for ending it tonight.

i was under the impression that jan 19th was when the IRS announced when they would accept refunds.

didnt trump just give a speech saying the shutdown could go on for quite some time?

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Why can't she get a non government job during the shutdown?

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It very well may last that long. The economy is driven by jobs, and our government should stay out of Jobs, and the forming of Unions for that matter. Of course there will be state sponsored jobs, such as road repair and stuff, but that's not my point. Unions can be left up to employees to choose or not. Personally I think it's a good thing to have. If the government did not over regulate and over tax business at multiple levels for various schemes, business could afford to hire more people and make better quality parts. However it would depend on people choosing to boycott companies who do not comply with quality and employee treatment expectations. Our government had been killing business for decades.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join