It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STUDY - The Economy Would Barely Be Affected if this Government Shut-Down Lasted for 5 MONTHS.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The real issue is the fact that the Feds will delay tax refund checks over this shutdown. Amazing, that... If a tax payer is late getting something to the IRS, they will pay huge penalties and could even see their freedom robbed from them... but Uncle Sam can take his sweet ass time refunding money that is not theirs to the rightful owners and nothing will come of it.

Our government needs an ass kicking of royal magnitude.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I don't know if Congress is capable of delivering that "ass kicking". House GOP members are already losing their resolve to resist big bad Nancy Pelosi, according to this late-breaking article.

thehill.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The real issue is the fact that the Feds will delay tax refund checks over this shutdown. .

what the # sir?

can you link me something a moron can understand please?

i did not know this

didnt even think about it

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
got it

During a shutdown, the IRS can continue activities that protect government property, and the agency may bring in more workers soon to prepare for the income-tax filing season. Even during a shutdown, the agency still processes some tax returns that include payments, keeps computer systems running and continues criminal investigations. But the IRS generally doesn’t conduct audits, respond to taxpayer questions outside the filing season or — brace yourself — pay refunds.

i did not even think about this

how long do you think the shutdown would have to be to delay refunds

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

www.vox.com...

If the federal government shutdown doesn’t last too much longer (that is, if it ends in the next couple of weeks, before mid-January), there shouldn’t be a noticeable effect on getting your tax refund or any other processing. That’s because the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which handles federal taxes, wasn’t planning on tax season fully starting until later in January, anyway. And once the IRS begins accepting tax returns, you’ll still be able to mail them in or submit them online even if the government is still shut down.

But if the shutdown drags on longer, there could be delays and other serious problems at the IRS. For one, the IRS’s contingency plan only explained how the agency would handle the first five business days — through December 31 — of a shutdown. As a shutdown lasts longer, the agency will have to rework its plan, and head into more uncertain territory that could demand, for example, that agency employees show up to work without pay.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I have to believe you considering the source, the award-winning economists of the conservative tree house.

Lmao.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: generik

That's a good point. The Government Employee Union should have funds set aside for these relatively common shut-downs.

But then, the Unions would want the money back, when the employees receive their back-pay, don't you think?

i did include the point about it being a loan if the pay was given. as has apparently happened every time. but at least there would be far less strain on those affected by shutdowns where pay is concerned. (although i must say with the fact that most shutdowns haven't lasted long, and they have received back pay, i'm not sure why they seem to be in a panic about it as media has been reporting. like with that one person who supposedly returned the Christmas gifts to pay their mortgage. and yet at that point the shut down had only been on a few days.)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: generik

if so why has their unions not set up government shutdown pay funds, just as unions put aside money so that in the case of a strike they can give the affected employees at least a bit of pay to help them?

Probably because a shutdown isn't a strike. That's sort of the issue that most federal employees are having: they still have to show up at work but not get paid for being there until some as yet to be determined date at some point in the future.

i really don't see what the difference is. for example a strike fund also pays out when a company locks employees out. which is not technically a strike. that is the company basically laying the employees off (like happens to many during a government shutdown), until things are settled. this would pretty much be the same thing except instead of the issue being employees arguing with the company. it's the government fighting it's self. but with the same result to the workers.

and while there are workers expected to work and technically not guranteed pay, when has it ever happened that they have not been paid? i don't think that has ever happened. and truth be told if such a thing actually did happen, i can see them easily winning a lawsuit over being paid for their work. and to be honest this makes an even better reason to have a government shutdown pay fund.to help protect them against such an outcome. and not to mention also having a legal fund also set up to pay for a lawsuit in the case they don't get back pay. these are things that their unions should be doing as part of what a union is actually for. and that is to protect and help their workers. these shutdowns are a known and likely issue. as such their unions should be prpared and set up to help deal with that. but then again if they did so, that wouldn't make shutdowns so critical. and therefore they could not use the excuse of the poor unpaid, and layed off workers as bagoning chips in the government's fight against it's self.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
got it

During a shutdown, the IRS can continue activities that protect government property, and the agency may bring in more workers soon to prepare for the income-tax filing season. Even during a shutdown, the agency still processes some tax returns that include payments, keeps computer systems running and continues criminal investigations. But the IRS generally doesn’t conduct audits, respond to taxpayer questions outside the filing season or — brace yourself — pay refunds.

i did not even think about this

how long do you think the shutdown would have to be to delay refunds

There is a simple solution within each employees control. If you calculate that you are due, for example, a $1,000 refund, then reduce your withholding until you receive that $1,000 back thru no withholding. If when your refund does arrive simply adjust again your withholding to reflect that amount.

Folks will say that you can’t do that but you can.
edit on 3-1-2019 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
dp
edit on 3-1-2019 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

are you also going to campaign against the huge number of illegals that are illegal cause they stayed too long and didnt jump the border?

just the border your concern?

Illegal is illegal anyone would think, who cares if the jumped the border or came here from Sweden on a visa and over stayed.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

The relatives of Americans murdered by Illegal Aliens "feel it" too. And infinitely more than laid-off government employees.

Furloughed workers will get their pay eventually. Will Americans who lost loved-ones get that person back?

No comparison!

ok propaganda machine

Even the neighbors of the murdered people feel the loss. These folks were my neighbors---people who had come here legally because they were afraid of the gangs in their country. So it is indeed sad when an illegal comes in and kills an entire family to prove his loyalty to his gang. He killed his own family members. And just a note---the children died of smoke inhalation but both of their throats were cut first.

www.westkentuckystar.com...

You can call it propaganda all you wish but to those of us who knew Marisol and Balmaro and those two beautiful children, it's personal. This guy doesn't deserve to breathe the air of earth but we'll be feeding him, clothing him and providing medical care for him for a very long time because the prosecutor didn't want to try the case. On the bright side, child murders don't do well in prison so perhaps they'll do him in.

edit on 3-1-2019 by diggindirt because: correction

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
If this shutdown lasted 5 months, my family’s livelihood would be completely decimated.

My wife is a government employee; she’s not getting paid until this schoolyard bull#### is over. We have some savings, but 5 months is too much. 3 months is about it for us.

I would have to drop out of my last semester of college and work full time somewhere to try and keep the bills paid. I put off college after 9/11. I took online courses throughout my time in the military, but only finished my associates in a separate field. I put college off to support my son. I’m 37, I can’t keep putting it off. But I’d have to kick the can down the street once again.

All you lefties blaming righties and righties blaming lefties who both think this shutdown is good for “your side” or being dramatized are just as much a part of the problem as the traitorous politicians you vote into office every cycle. Your ignorance sours the state of this country.
edit on 3-1-2019 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here come the living testimonials 😂🚬

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Oh no, I want them gone too.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Pelosi got them to vote to reopen the government tonight.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

And ?

Oh another phony attempt to discredit America !! 🤣

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Wasting time and tax-dollars on a Dead-On-Arrival set of bills. McConnell said 2 days ago that the Senate wouldn't even consider them, unless Border Wall funding was included.

We're going to have 2 years of non-starter bills like this coming out of the House?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You cant even file your taxes until the end of this month and that only if you're filing electronically.
Otherwise you cant file till February. This isnt going to delay anyones refunds.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Your Mom can work in the private sector until the government reopens. She will only have to work outside of government for a few months. Her skills, combined with a booming job market, should make finding a quick temp position, very easy for her.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join