It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada increasing its military budget!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Well...

The federal budget promises $12.8 billion in defense spending over five years, to the cheers of many. Critics say, however, that the amount still won't stop the 'hemorrhaging' of the military.

Source

This seems like nice start to increasing the overall readiness and effectiveness of the Canadian armed forces, however, like the article mentions, it seems that the Canadian armed forces are is serious trouble and without a large lump some of money at their disposal immediately things could get even worse

What do you guys think about this? Is it a good step in the right direction for Canada and its armed forces or is it to late to save it's army, also, what types of new equipment would like to see Canada bring into it's armed forces?

Holt

[edit on 27/2/05 by holt_allen]

[edit on 27/2/05 by holt_allen]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I say it's about F-&$ time. Why horde the money and let our boys and girls go into situations with little more than hockey sticks. Spend that surplus! Oh, wait. Can we buy another obsolute piece of # cheap? Might only cost one life. But hey, that's what they get payed for.

We need a TOTAL revamp of the millitary. Status quo won't do.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
from 9 billion to 13 billion, thats a ok increase, but maybe now canada can keep up with the rest of the west.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by namehere]

jra

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'm for more military spending. I think the Canadian forces are quite good at what they do. I'd like to keep the army small the way it is, just need more up to date equipment.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
from 9 billion to 13 billion, thats a ok increase, but maybe now canada can keep up with the rest of the west.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by namehere]

You can't keep up to the west. No one runs a deficiet like the US. Jesus if they call in those markers, your economy will collapse like an accordian.

We make good cheddar, you may need some.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Unfortunately the majority of money is for pay increases to cover the cost of living, not actually for any new equipment. Plus Canada has an abnormally high number of Generals yet hardly any troops. Canadian Generals are extremely over paid and yes they got a pay raise as well. How about some stinkin desert fatigues for over in the middle east eh? Maybe some bullets for our guns so a contingent of German/Belgian soldiers don't have to accompany us on missions!

new topics

top topics

join