It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should people be allowed to smoke on a public beach?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: DBCowboy

a reply to: JAGStorm

Great.

"Lets ban something because I don't like it."

SMGDH

Smoke is a little more than just "I don't like it". It has been proven second hand smoke is dangerous.

So is walking across a street without looking both ways.

Should we ban streets?

Nobody forces you to walk across the street without looking both ways.
If I'm at the beach and tons of people are smoking, I'm going to have to breath it.
So they are basically taking away my rights of others that don't want to breath it.

When are tons of people smoking at the beach to the point it contaminates all the air at the beach? I've never been to a beach so crowded, with so many people smoking at once, that there is nowhere to go to avoid it. You might smell smoke with a few of your breaths, like 1-3 times the whole time your there. The beach is usually big enough that you can just move. The beach is usually windy too so I cant really see the smoke drifting to you steadily unless you just got in an unlucky spot so in most cases you could just deal with it until they put it out and they probably wont have another one for at least 2 hrs unless they're a chain smoker but most people who smoke are not chain smokers, or they might be drinking or drugging, and if they're drinking or drugging esp at a public beach which is illegal, then you have other good reasons why you would not want to be anywhere near them that have nothing to do with their cigarette smoke.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, it just sounds unreal to me. I can't relate to it. But I've never been to that beach or any real famous beach really, except in Washington, but our beaches are not so packed full of people since it's not a very sunny place.

I'm a smoker but I am in the process of weaning myself down so I can quit. I am personally as courteous as I can reasonably be expected to be. If I pass someone on a sidewalk I hold it out to the side so the smoke doesnt hit them directly, if they have a baby stroller I'll walk way over to the edge and do the same. At a beach, I would first walk to a relatively isolated area before lighting up.

I did successfully quit for a little over a year once, a long time ago. I couldn't stand the smell when I was eating and l hated the taste of kissing my girlfriend after she smoked, so, I'm very sympathetic of nonsmokers. But some of them are just being nitpicky.
edit on 1/3/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
In my apartment complex there are always the same people hanging out in the parking lot almost every time you arrive or leave and they are hacking away on smokes. All day long, all year long just smoke, smoke, smoke.! Cough cough cough!

Quit the habit in 1987. Lungs fully restored.

Banned outdoors? That seems Orwellian. But things are heading that direction because the people making the laws are being allowed to live without punishment for their pompousness and hypocrisy.
edit on 3-1-2019 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Only if they don't smoke in close proximity to others, and have an ashtray. I hate seeing butts on the beach.
(Especially those of cigarettes.)

Somebody should start selling those portable ashtrays with a lid, on the beach.

heh.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Right. Stop the smokers on the beach and soon they will take away the beaches.
And after taking away the beach, they will come and take away the freedom to be a stupid moron. Smokers are stupid addicted morons with almost now will power at all. It's always amusing and sad at the same time when I hear smokers defending their rights. "I choose to smoke'', I want to smoke. Talk about denial. ''It's my right'', ''It's my freedom''. ''It's my body''. What a crock from addicted fools.

Everybody in this country now knows how harmful smoking is to their health. It was a questionable habit in the 1930s but the industry still promoted it as cool. In the 40s they basically gave away cigarettes free to soldiers just to get them addicted.

So I say soon they will be coming for all the stupid morons and going after smokers is just the first step.

Smokers suffer from depression and the cigarettes work to lower their MOA, the same thing that many anti depressants target. That's why people can't quit. It literally keeps them sane. And its the smoke, not the nicotine that has the effect.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have no problem with smokers on the beach or anywhere else as long as they police their butts.

On the other hand, I would like to see all fat people banned from beaches. They just mess up the beauty of the beach. It offends my sense of elegance to see rolls of fat on display.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Why not?

Some here find smoking offensive and eligible for banning.

Why not fatty-fats?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

www.wesh.com...

"Bill would make smoking on Florida beaches illegal"

I really really hate cigarette smoke and do just about everything to avoid it, but is this reaching? I know these things can be
a very slippery slope. Cigarettes today, french fries or soda tomorrow...
I guess they passed something similar in New Jersey already.

For those that think this is just about smoke, it isn't, it's about litter and pollution. Having lived in Florida it was always
devastating to go to the beach after spring break. The amount of trash left behind was sickening, but to be fair it wasn't just
cigarettes.

Your linked article doesn't specify why they would be banned, but you mention personal aversion to smoke then acknowledge the slippery slope to pollution, french fries and soda.

Is it the cigarette smoke, or the butts? Is it the french fries, or the boat? Is it the Soda, or the can? I hate seeing pollution: cigarette butts, cans, bottles, etc.

As a nonsmoker, do I want to sit next to a smoker on a beach, or a park? Not really. As a former smoker, I smoked on the beach, park, etc. Does your right to smoke overrule my right to non-smoked air?

Where is the compromise?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Why not?

Why not fatty-fats?

DB, just know I'd never vote you off the beach. For smoking or for being a fatty fat. These leftists don't know a twig from a tree. It's astonishing in a way.

BTW, just know you're beautiful.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

I'm sexy. Big sexy.

Smokin' sexy.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Why not?

Why not fatty-fats?

My Dad always told me that as soon as THey had gotten rid of the smokers THey would go for the fat people next. The same argument that was made FOR seat belts can be made against the fatties. They cost us a lot of money when we have to treat all the problems that lugging around an extra 50 or 100 pounds cause. So I say ban and tax the peedoddle out of them. Two problems solved right there. Next.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

floridapolitics.com...

"Gruters, a Sarasota Republican, said it makes sense in Florida’s tourism-based economy to keep sands pristine: “It’s for the enjoyment of everybody attending our beaches so they don’t have to sit next to cigarette butts.”

As a nonsmoker, do I want to sit next to a smoker on a beach, or a park? Not really. As a former smoker, I smoked on the beach, park, etc. Does your right to smoke overrule my right to non-smoked air? Where is the compromise?

This group in NJ shows how bad the littering aspect was:
A 2017 beach sweep organized by Clean Ocean Action turned up 29,008 cigarette butts, 7,172 plastic cigar tips, 1,870 empty cigarette packs, and 1,155 lighters.

Here is their compromise:

"The law, signed in July by Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy, will allow smoking in parking lots and up to 15 percent of a park or beach if the municipality authorizes it."

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

Why not?

Why not fatty-fats?

DB, just know I'd never vote you off the beach. For smoking or for being a fatty fat. These leftists don't know a twig from a tree. It's astonishing in a way.

Do you consider a Republican a Leftist? That is who is driving this!

Senate Republican on Wednesday filed a proposal that would make it illegal for people to smoke on public beaches.
www.sun-sentinel.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Cool.

That would have been an appropriate addition to the OP, had the OP wanted it to be honest.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

Why not?

Why not fatty-fats?

Do you consider a Republican a Leftist? That is who is driving this!

Senate Republican on Wednesday filed a proposal that would make it illegal for people to smoke on public beaches.
www.sun-sentinel.com...

That ain't no Republican. That's a RINO. Big difference. But I didn't realize that about the article, so thanks just the same.
edit on 3-1-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
That's what I love about the UK. I want to have the option of a vote of no confidence. Screw these a-holes who don't have the public interest at heart.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:30 AM
link   
There are better options than banning things you don't like.

I'm smoker. I was littering butts as any other smoker. I didn't like it but didn't care much.
In 2012 I was at festival and they were giving these for cigarettes butts to everyone at the gate.

It is a PET bottle preform. It's indestructible and costs about ~0.
I have it in my pocket till now and I didn't litter a single cig butt since then.
All my smoker friends, except one dumb guy, started using these too.

If these were easily available or even given free to smokers it would change cig. butts problem a lot.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   
What's even worse than the butts on the beach is cig butts that people at a party put out in a beer can that you later take a drink from thinking it's your beer can. It is one of the worst experiences available on the planet.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   

I'm a smoker and I agree there should not be smoking on the actual beach itself. Down to the litter and other families with kids passing by. . Don't want kids picking up ends of cigs to put on their sand castles.

Even though I smoke I show curtosy where I go. I tend to hide away and smoke away from the public

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Great.

SMGDH

Smoke is a little more than just "I don't like it". It has been proven second hand smoke is dangerous.

Ahhh...post the proof.

Multiple recent studies have shown this a lie.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

Great.

SMGDH

Ahhh...post the proof.

Multiple recent studies have shown this a lie.

www.cdc.gov...
"There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke."

You can believe whatever you want, I know when I am around smoke it give me a headache, so it is obviously doing something.
Some children have asthma attacks when around smoke, Maybe they are just imagining it?

"There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke."

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join