It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant eaters - a product, and a question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Maybe not a new product but new to me!

Nasoya has extra firm Tofu plus - the plus is that it's fortified with vitamins B2, B6, B12, D and calcium

Also - anyone have a good recipe for vegan eggs? I've done the scrambled tofu with nutritional yeast and spices. I have also used chickpea flour with the aquafaba, that's pretty good too. Does anyone have any other recipes? ideas?

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

They say tofu takes on the flavor of whatever you mix it with. Is that true? I've always said, "Eeeew!", but never tried it, so I can't knock it. Maybe I'll get brave and daring and try a product made with it. Maybe. LOL

I'll see what recipes people come in and share.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

Nasoya has extra firm Tofu plus - the plus is that it's fortified with vitamins B2, B6, B12, D and calcium

Also - anyone have a good recipe for vegan eggs? I've done the scrambled tofu with nutritional yeast and spices. I have also used chickpea flour with the aquafaba, that's pretty good too. Does anyone have any other recipes? ideas?

Thanks!

So here's a weird thing. I'm Asian and growing up we were taught that tofu was used to gain weight.
It was so bizarre to me when I realized my white friends were eating it to lose weight, and most of them hated it. It was absolutely my favorite food as a child! There are many different levels of tofu, from extra soft that you squeeze out of a tube, to ultra firm like the one you mentioned. In Asian cooking, they are used for specific dishes. The extra soft tofu has a texture similar to egg whites and might work for your egg recipe.

The extra firm tofu can be fried hard, to remove most of the moisture and make it crispy. You then add seasoning and pepper and scallions. It is quite delicious! Here is the recipe:

www.maangchi.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yes it does take on the flavor, you should give it a try. But make sure you look up some recipes and cook it appropriately! I wouldn't want your first time to be a bad one lol! I love the stuff and even eat it right out of the package

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Isn't that funny

So the thing is... the tofu isn't what causes weight gain, the amount of tofu is what causes weight gain lol! Can say that with any food. Also - the problem isn't the tofu itself, it's how it's cooked... usually fried and covered with honey or other sweet sauces that cause a huge increase in calories and saturated fat. Tofu itself is extremely low in calories

Thanks for the recipe!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yuck.....Tofu

I gave it a try many times and it sucks. I attempted to get used to it when I had a nice looking girlfriend that liked it, it was much better to give up the girlfriend than to have to eat that crap.

It has some negative effects on thyroid function so a person could gain weight eating tofu. It didn't make the old girlfriend gain weight though, but she was a vegetarian and ate all the time like a rabbit.

edit on 3-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Please don't post bad information.

Tofu does not have a negative effect on the Thyroid. Soy does. Soy is found in many items, including tofu and not all Tofu contains soy, like almond tofu for example.

The type of food does not make a person fat. The amount of food does.

Also evidence regarding the impact of soy on thyroid health is limited at best, and some studies do not show a link between soy and TSH or thyroid function. At the current time, there is no clear consensus regarding how much or how little soy is safe for thyroid function.

To further complicate matters, it has also been shown that soy can improve your risk of heart disease, and can help optimize your glucose, cholesterol, and fat levels if you have subclinical (not yet symptomatic) hypothyroidism. The importance of this is that thyroid disease increases the risk of heart disease, and reducing that risk at early stages can prevent the development of serious cardiac complications.

With all of this said, some thyroid experts recommend that you eat soy products sparingly if you are at risk of thyroid disease or if you already have thyroid disease.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Does anyone have any other recipes? ideas?

Slice one package of extra-firm tofu in 1/2" slices. Press out as much water as possible using paper towels or smooth cotton hand-towels. Marinate 1-4 hours with 1/4 cup tamari, two -four tablespoons of very thinly sliced fresh ginger (think sushi style), and two-four large cloves of garlic, again, thinly sliced, plus (optional) 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne, plus (optionally) 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil. Prepare a cast-iron skillet (or other non-stick surface) by wiping with a small amount of olive oil and then heating on medium heat until it smokes. Remove from heat until smoke stops. (This makes the pan non-sticky with the addition of different oils.)

Add two tablespoons of refined coconut oil (or peanut, or grapeseed, etc.). Place on medium-high heat for a minute or two, then carefully add sliced tofu, garlic, and ginger. Save any liquid in the marinade bowl for later. The tofu should sizzle a minute or two, then reduce heat to medium or medium-low. Cover and cook slowly, carefully turning the tofu once with a metal spatula.

It may stick, in which case, don't be shy, be aggressive. Turn that metal spatula upside-down, scrape tofu slab off the cooking surface, then turn the spatula right-side up and flip that sucker like a dogie.

Tofu slices should be dark brown and chewy on the outside on both sides. Add remaining liquid and cook it off at medium-high heat.

Serve alone or with rice, etc.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Oh yum! This sounds wonderful.... thank you!

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I like tofu and was talking about this yesterday with a friend.
I avoid tofu because of Monsanto.

www.reuters.com...

Monsanto wants to control the soybean market so no more tofu for me unless I know its the good stuff.
Since its too hard to tell...I don't bother.

Bunch of bastards..even when people think they are eating healthy,they still find a way to screw with you!!!

Even the hippies aren't safe anymore.

edit on 3-1-2019 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2019 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Monsanto wants to control the soybean market so no more tofu for me unless I know its the good stuff.

I'm pretty sure you can tell the good stuff because it will say non-gmo on it.
The non-gmo soybeans can't take dicamba (round up) either so most are probably organically grown even if not labeled as such.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

It does.

One of my favorite things to do with it is let it sit with seasonings and then crispy fry it after it has absorbed that flavor especially if you get a good combo with a dipping sauce.

Sometimes, you can find it on the menu like that at some Japanese or other Asian restaurants, but they won't always have let it marinate enough.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Hey Skorpiogurl, I don't have a recipe for vegan eggs, but I am looking forward to trying Veggie Grill's breakfast burrito with "Just Egg" made from bean protein. What part of the Earth do you currently occupy? There's only a few Veggie Grills in the US, mainly West Coast, but if you get a chance, try them out. It's basically fast food for vegans, but even my carnivore friends love it. A couple didn't even realize they were eating vegan until after they had devoured the food and I informed them. JUST EGG
edit on 132019 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Why wouldn't Tofu have a negative effect on the thyroid if Soy does? even naturally aged soy sauce still has some effects on the thyroid, not as much as the stuff made with soy protein isolate does though.

I have tried many Tofu dishes throughout the years and have not found any I like. I do not think I have not tried anything like the almond ones yet though. Soy has been promoted as healthy yet I see some predominant chemistries in it that are actually unhealthy. Anything that is promoted as a superfood either seems to lessen reason or takes away your energy or stamina. If you sit in an office all day, maybe it is good, if you work construction stay away from these superfoods.

I did eat some soup one time containing organic soy beans and that wasn't bad. I did not notice any difference in my health but have a problem if I eat too much soy sauce or soy chemistry in foods like liquid amines containing soy products. That could be to do with the amines, particularly tyramine chemistry that they contained.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Trader joes has a great "baked tofu" that is infused with siracha or teriyaki. I love both of them. Add a little liquid smoke when you stir fry, and once crispy it tastes better than bacon. Besides that it has a really nice texture, almost like spam tbh.

As for vegan eggs...I know nothing.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Slice it into strips
Drain the tofu and marinade it with 1 cup soy sauce, one cup vinegar

Slice up onions, peppers, fry them, cut two tomatoes up and add them to the onions and peppers. One table spoon garlic, add the tofu with the sauce.

Bake some French fries, and make some rice. Once done, put down bed of rice, add the potatoes, and put the mix on top, pour some juice on the rice. I add some pepper cause I like a little spice.

this is actually a south american dish made with either chicken or steak, lomito santalo. i think thats the name.

Camain

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

Thanks!

edit on 3-1-2019 by camain because: added

new topics

top topics

join