It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi wants 54 BILLION for "foreign aid" but can't find 5 billion to defend our sovereignty

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sure it would. Trump can do whatever he wants. What is Congress going to do? Impeach him? We all know that won't happen. Castrado Dems have no cards to play, other than slightly obnoxious subpoena power which can also be dutifully ignored by Trump without recourse. Arrest him? Yeah, that's not happening either. Nothing stops him from taking money Congress allocated elsewhere. Besides, there are plenty of discretionary funds sitting in black books I'm sure.

54 billion will certainly build the wall. AKA money we don't need to be throwing away on foreigners when our own needs are 100% met.

That is America first. I personally don't give a rats ass about the foreign aid. I say cut it off 100%, possibly with the exception of military aid to Israel but ONLY because Israel contributes to our defend by undertaking military action on our behalf against radical Islamic terrorists (the only problematic form of terrorism, next to eco-terrorist nut jobs)

With all due respect, an appropriation refers to an authorization made by law or legislative enactment directing payment out of government funds under specified conditions or for specific purposes. Under our Federal constitution, when congress appropriates funds for a specific purpose, to use these funds for other purposes is a serious crime. I goes beyond fraud if done intentionally.

So if the President were to use funds appropriated for HHS for, say Section 8 housing, and reallocate them to DHS to build a wall, he would be committing a felony.

Source For Definitions

Source for the Budget Process

Just clearing up some terms and possible misconceptions.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

Fair enough, if its all the same, how about education, health care, etc? Would be better than finance foreign war criminals?

foreign aid my a$$...

That $54billion is chump change compared to what the real spending issues are and that neither party will address.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Sure it would. Trump can do whatever he wants.

No, he can't, but you can fap all day about what you think he can do. Congress controls spending, it's in the Constitution, only a treasonous dog goes against the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

that's why I don't understand the dems. Destroyed by whom? unless they can magically produce a candidate in the next 15 minutes who has a remote chance for 2020, that boat sailed away already...

It doesn't matter, Trump is already the most unpopular candidate of modern times, he becomes more and more unpopular as time goes by and I think thats the Dems game. They are going to be going all out over the next two years, public hearings, investigations, litigation, blocking bills they whole lot, just so that when the voters next go to the ballot box they could reanimate Bin laden corpse and put that up against him in 2020 and Trump would still lose.

Wishful thinking again. If anything he is gaining support with every extra $$$ people make

Trump is massively unpopular this is a fact.

Now I am sure in your little bubble of the cyberwebs he is everyones best buddy but in reality he is a hugely unpopular president.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I get it, its coins in the budget, still the principal, wasted 54B opposed to give it to Americans in need. Am I weird to say this?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The dems have turned their guiding principles, if they had any to begin with, into obstruction and anti-trumpism. Trump was elected on campaigning for a wall, and the opposition has no other recourse but to deny the will of the people.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

that's why I don't understand the dems. Destroyed by whom? unless they can magically produce a candidate in the next 15 minutes who has a remote chance for 2020, that boat sailed away already...

It doesn't matter, Trump is already the most unpopular candidate of modern times, he becomes more and more unpopular as time goes by and I think thats the Dems game. They are going to be going all out over the next two years, public hearings, investigations, litigation, blocking bills they whole lot, just so that when the voters next go to the ballot box they could reanimate Bin laden corpse and put that up against him in 2020 and Trump would still lose.

Wishful thinking again. If anything he is gaining support with every extra $$$ people make

Now I am sure in your little bubble of the cyberwebs he is everyones best buddy but in reality he is a hugely unpopular president.

LOl

No that is just what you want to believe.

this from the MSM just yesterday.

Trump's approval rating is in line with those of Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama at similar points in their presidencies. All three men were re-elected

www.cnbc.com...

But keep believing those lies and spreading that BS propaganda

link   

That isn't fact, that's your opinion, based off liberal media views.

Now, in that delusional echo chamber, you believe that, here in reality, Trump is loved by the people.

Remember, you're a European, you mean nothing to us or the US and definitely not the POTUS. You views, as thus, are skewed in that respect.

There isn't any reason to take your post seriously, it means nothing and your credibility as a hardline Anti-Trumper and Anti-American will always be your downfall in these discussions.

Live it, you earned that title 😌

link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

The will of the people? This wall is pure politics and a spoiled brat who always gets his way being told no. He campaigned on Mexico paying for it not the USA right? So why do I want to pay for it now? I don't, we have many other things that need attention that are much more important than this petulant child getting a wall.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Pelosi and her open-borders anti-law enforcement democrats want to authorize a whopping (and ridiculous) 54 BILLION dollars in foreign aid to non-Americans. You heard that right, she wants to throw our hard earned money away on foreigners instead of defending this great nation's sovereign borders.

The $54 billion number was in the budget released by the GOP-controlled Congress in March.

Congress again rejects steep cuts to US foreign assistance in new budget

WASHINGTON — Congress released a budget on Wednesday night that largely maintained U.S. foreign aid funding at fiscal year 2017 levels, and once again rejected the steep cuts proposed by the Trump administration.

The bill provides $54 billion in funding for state and foreign operations, which is $3.4 billion, or about 6 percent, below the fiscal year 2017 levels.

That's with the Republicans controlling all the budget & appropriations committees/subcommittees. Also, I'll point out that the Republican chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee bemoaned the modest 6% decrease:

Rep. Ed Royce, a Republican from California, and the chairman of the committee, said the cuts were regrettable and would impact U.S. priorities from combating terrorists, poachers, and human traffickers, to addressing global health threats, supporting electoral processes and democracy, and responding to the dramatic humanitarian needs.

“These efforts should not be shorted,” he said. “Everyone agrees that these overseas programs can be improved, both USAID and the Department of State need to better align U.S. assistance with our most pressing national security objectives. They also need to eliminate duplication and waste and promote a capable and adjustable workforce. A workforce that's adaptable. However, I worry this budget request will hamstring USAID’s efforts on these fronts.”

President Trump should re-allocate money from Congress (ie: defund as many federal agencies and especially democrat-benefiting "programs") in order to pay for a wall twice as large as previously decided upon.

That's not how anything works (thankfully). Also, what are "democrat-benefiting 'programs'" exactly?

If the Dems keep their nonsense up, make it 3 times as big. Just to satisfy their goofy diversity BS, lets write "Stay the hell out of our country" in 200 different languages on the illegal side of the wall.

Sounds like your support for this stupid vanity wall would be boondoggle really doesn't have all that much to do with border security.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Weren't we promised Mexico was paying for the stupid wall?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Don't really want to derail this thread getting into a debate about how unpopular Trump is, I have a thread I wrote on that subject a while back so feel free to head over there and try to tell me how every wrong I am.

I only make mention of his unpopularity to articulate that I believe that the Dems are going to take advantage of this unpopularity and their position in Congress to make him look even worse and make him even more unpopular paving the way to them winning in 2020.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

hot news for you trumpitrumps: there a not only trump-sexpuppets to buy, now there is a huge plasticwall with three holes in it for only 150 bucks!

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

At least not for 5 Billion.

Anyone familiar with construction, things are rarely done on time and the quote rarely matches the bill.

I was referring more to trying to defund an agency and using that money elsewhere, the President cannot do that, only Congress controls spending.

Gotchya, that might come down to who breaks though in this shutdown stand off.

I'm not going to lie, I'm super curious, me and my best friend have a bet down on it. Winner gets to name his new kid.

And the name if you win?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

At least not for 5 Billion.

Anyone familiar with construction, things are rarely done on time and the quote rarely matches the bill.

I was referring more to trying to defund an agency and using that money elsewhere, the President cannot do that, only Congress controls spending.

Gotchya, that might come down to who breaks though in this shutdown stand off.

I'm not going to lie, I'm super curious, me and my best friend have a bet down on it. Winner gets to name his new kid.

And the name if you win?

Richard Cheese, bonus points if the kid is a girl.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

did she also say where that 54B out of the window will come from? I am curious...

She doesn't care. She's as clueless as Cortez is when Cortez talks about giving Millennials everything for free.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Don't really want to derail this thread getting into a debate about how unpopular Trump is, I have a thread I wrote on that subject a while back so feel free to head over there and try to tell me how every wrong I am.

I only make mention of his unpopularity to articulate that I believe that the Dems are going to take advantage of this unpopularity and their position in Congress to make him look even worse and make him even more unpopular paving the way to them winning in 2020.

Except you were WRONG about his unpopularity.

Wrong Wrong wrong

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
These morons want you to believe he is unpopular but he still fills up stadiums at his rallies.

get a clue

link   
These morons want you to believe he is unpopular but he still fills up stadiums at his rallies.

get a clue

link   

This isn't about $5 Billion, thats peanuts really to the American government, probably about what they spend on the military in a few days. Hell its less than a ford class Aircraft carrier.

I don't think the issue is the money the issue is the political optics of this situation.

Trump made a promise to build a wall and Mexico would pay for it, it was going to be his flagship policy, the big one, taking such a extreme hardline on immigration is a big part of why his voters voted for him. Turns out though that actually no Mexico aren't going to pay for his wall and actually he can't actually build a physical wall as he promised. So now the best he can do to appease his base of support is to build this metaphorical wall and for that he needs $5 Billion. Thats basically what he's asking for $5 Billion so he can turn round to his supporters and say he is still "winning", this is just to score political points.

So when you look at it like this you realise something very important, the government is in shut down not over $5 Billion but basically as a big F you to Trump and because Trump can't handle failing on his pledge to build his big stupid wall. So from my perspective then its both Trump and the Dems fault they are both playing quite a petty game really and the government is shut down as a result.

Now as much as I might not be a fan of Trump if I where him I would spin this, I would let it go on just a little longer then he admits that he's not going to get his $5 Billion because the Dems are so corrupt that its all their fault the wall can't built because they support open boarder (or whatever other nonsense he wants too spin). That way he looks like the good guy because he has gave in for the good of the country all because of the big bad Dems playing political games. Then any time anyone asks him what happened to his big stupid wall he just puts all the blame for his failure to build it and have Mexico pay for it on the Dems.

Just be clear though this nonsense about the Dems wanting open boarders is quickly turning into the biggest strawman ever, thats not the the issue the issue is a disagreement over how to best manage the boarder but over that its about a political game being played as both Trump and the Dems try to appease their base. This is the real Trump vs the Dems battle, Trump wants his wall he gets his $5 Billion he gets some semblance of a win, the Dems force him down they win.

So yeah in short like I said I don't think the money is the issue.

That's right, it's not about the money. It's about doing everything you can to make Trump look bad. Ironically it backfires on the left every time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join