It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

metamorphousthe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
μεταμορφοῦσθε (metamorphousthe), a form of the word μεταμορφόω (metamorpho'ow), from which we get our English word, metamorphosis; means simply, to be transformed into something else.

In Romans 12:2, metamorphousthe is used in the passive or middle voice.

In the passive voice it reads as follows:

Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

However, if read in the middle voice it might look like: "...transform yourself by the renewing of your mind".

I personally believe, it should be read as both: "transform yourself by choosing to be transformed". Most Christians understand that it is the Holy Spirit who transforms the individual, and most also believe that we have the ability to choose to allow such a transformation to take place.

As you can see, translating an ancient language into modern day English isn't always easy. There are often many nuanced meanings that get lost in the translation process.

Regardless of your spiritual beliefs, I do believe that Romans 12:2 is also a good philosophical principle for anyone to live by.

Think to yourself. What would your very own community look like if an extra 10-20% of people were more mindful of themselves. Mindful of their moment-by-moment thoughts, feelings, and reactions. What if more of us invested more energy into not being slaves to every emerging whim? When someone says something that pushes a button, simply step back, recognize what's happening, and break the cycle. We can't be perfect, but we can learn to recognize our responsibilities to even our most trivial decisions.

That's been my focus for a while now. It truly is an investment, with returns much more precious than gold. I don't believe I'll ever perfect myself, but that's good news, cuz there will always be more room for growth to look forward too.

A worthy New Year resolution, don't you think???
edit on 2-1-2019 by BELIEVERpriest because: changed title and fixed punctuation

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

S&F...
But you broke ATS..

Edit: title is missing👍😀😀

Happy New Year 🥂🎆🤗
Glad I caught it μεταμορφοῦσθε (metamorphousthe).
edit on 2-1-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
ATS titles can only display 0-9 A-Z chrs on the forum.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Excellent.

2nd Line.
S&F

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
I personally believe, it should be read as both: "transform yourself by choosing to be transformed".

Beautiful aphorism.

When someone says something that pushes a button, simply step back, recognize what's happening, and break the cycle. We can't be perfect, but we can learn to recognize our responsibilities to even our most trivial decisions.

Sometimes the hardest thing to say is nothing.

A worthy New Year resolution, don't you think???

Word. Nicely said all around.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Sometimes the hardest thing to say is nothing.

Too true. I think part of the challenge is that altercations tend to involve a transfer of energy from one or more individuals to another. So for most of us, our natural reaction is to release that tension in a sudden angry burst of energy. The trick would be to find a positive way to release it, or find a way to safely store it temporarily to discharge it later, perhaps through exercise or art.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
Altercations tend to involve a transfer of energy from one or more individuals to another.

I have rarely thought of it in such blunt terms, but you're right.

Another point germane to the discussion is the basic mindset toward conflict.

Lots of times in my own life I have viewed the desired outcome to be me, standing victoriously over my vanquished opponent, my foot on their sunken chest. (Rarely is this the literal case, but you see my point I'm sure.)

It's probably not hyperbole to say that in almost all instances, if I had the mindset only of restoring peace, not building my ego, and exploring a variety of options for doing so, I probably would have been better off.

I have a book, called (I think) "Aikido in Everyday Life". I only read it during contemplative tobacco-pipe smoking sessions, which are sadly few and far between these days, which explores the philosophy of conflict resolution via analogy to the martial art.
edit on 3/1/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   

'You' cannot transform 'yourself' (there isn' t two of you) ..... that is why it says 'be' transformed.
Nothing is solid and lasting.
A person is a concept.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

We have the ability to change our beliefs, which is fundamental to all of the decisions we make. An individual may be one being, but he's is dualistic in nature, possessing a conscious and subconscious mind.

All things are possible to him who believes.
edit on 3-1-2019 by BELIEVERpriest because: added comment

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   

An empty mind would be the ultimate renewing.
The problem with belief is that it is not true. Belief and doubt go hand in hand.
When the mind is empty of all things it is open to what is actual.
Be the ever present unconditioned space and you will be transformed.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

You believe that beliefs are untrue. That poses a paradox, since whether or not you're right, it's still your belief.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

It's probably not hyperbole to say that in almost all instances, if I had the mindset only of restoring peace, not building my ego, and exploring a variety of options for doing so, I probably would have been better off. 

That is an entropy problem. Whether physical or metaphysical, everything seems to tend towards disorder, but the tendency is probabilistic, not deterministic; so there is still room to stop, think, and break the cycle. The problem is remembering to do so. It must become a habit.

new topics

top topics

join