It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad Times at the El Royale . . . . a Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Quirky movie, rich, complex, reminded me a bit of a really dark Cohen Brothers film.

The acting was insane and unlike most movies, you could not chart the direction of the plot.

It kept you guessing.

I highly enjoyed it as did my bride who watched it with me.

I would recommend this film to anyone, but there is language and violence for those who are sensitive and prefer something tamer.

I give it a 9/10

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I got to agree with your use of the word "Quirky" That was spot on!

I liked it, I felt drawn into it. When it was over I wanted even more.

Jeff Bridges is by far one of my favorite actors.

And not because he's the "Dude" either. lol

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

First, I've past over this a few times, was a bit unsure based on the description. Maybe I'll have to check it out after all.

Second......BRIDE?.......Didn't know it was mating season at the zoo. Assumed they had you locked away in a special cage to keep you from damaging the other exhibits.
edit on 2-1-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shockerking
I got to agree with your use of the word "Quirky" That was spot on!

I liked it, I felt drawn into it. When it was over I wanted even more.

Jeff Bridges is by far one of my favorite actors.

And not because he's the "Dude" either. lol

Jeff is great, honestly didnt know he was in this. Makes it an automatic watch for the most part.

I'll have to watch it this weekend.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock
I can Guarantee you'll love this movie then.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I'll hold you to that guarantee, I'll watch it and if it's a dud, you'll owe me compensation on that guarantee.

I have a crack legal team.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Second......BRIDE?.......Didn't know it was mating season at the zoo. Assumed they had you locked away in a special cage to keep you from damaging the other exhibits.

She lost a bet and owed the Chinese triad some money.

It was either indentured servitude to the notorious Chinese opium gangs, or marry me.

A move she often regrets.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I'll hold you to that guarantee, I'll watch it and if it's a dud, you'll owe me compensation on that guarantee.

OK bet! If I loose I will recommend a rare odd movie of another of my fav actors. Kurt Russel.
How's that?

edit on 1 2 2019 by Shockerking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

OK bet! If I loose I will recommend a rare odd movie of another of my fav actors. Kurt Russel.
How's that?

Kurt, probably seen it already, I'm an 80s/90s boy. So kurt is one of my favorites. Sounds like I win either way.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Saw it last week.
Very Tarantinoesque.
I, too, recommend this film.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

How's that?

Kurt, probably seen it already, I'm an 80s/90s boy. So Kurt is one of my favorites. Sounds like I win either way.
Naw it's older than the 80's. Hint it's a true story and highly controversial. Don't look for it, wait.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Yeah, they were going for Tarantino-esque and got close, but an ultimately empty and completely forgettable film experience for me. Not bad, just not anything. I liked the actors and the plot had possibilities... but it just left me feeling "blah."

Meh, maybe it was me, not the flick... but i suspect it was the flick, as I'm usually forgiving. Maybe it's better on the small screen?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   

We watched it a few weeks ago. Very entertaining- the hubs didn't even fall asleep, which is unusual.
Enjoyed seeing Chris Hemsworth playing a bad guy for a change and he should definitely do it more often!

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I looked forward with great expectations to this one and saw it opening week. The staging was superb and the characters as you say were quirky and fun. I liked it a lot and will watch it again for free sometime though some how the plot, the story line kinda went flat for me towards the end. The wrap up, the ending was a let down for me,

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I just want to thank you for reminding me of this movie, I saw the trailer a while back, but I had forgotten all about it. My wife and I just watched it, we loved it. They don't make many good movies like this anymore, and the best part is that they were always ahead of me in the movie and I didn't guess the plot.

Really, thank you for this late Christmas present!

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Yeah, they were going for Tarantino-esque and got close, but an ultimately empty and completely forgettable film experience for me. Not bad, just not anything. I liked the actors and the plot had possibilities... but it just left me feeling "blah."

Meh, maybe it was me, not the flick... but i suspect it was the flick, as I'm usually forgiving. Maybe it's better on the small screen?

That about sums up my views of it as well. Had plenty of potential but looks like they got lazy with the writing 3/4 of the way in.
Not horrible , not great , just watchable

top topics

join