It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Significant’ Fire on Vehicle Carrier in Pacific Ocean; Master Reported Intent to Abandon Ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

The U.S. Coast Guard and several commercial vessels are responding to a reported ‘significant’ vessel fire on the vehicle carrier Sincerity Ace approximately 1,800 nautical miles northwest of Oahu in high seas, Monday.

The Coast Guard said it was also launching a second Hercules from Air Station Barbers Point. Both aircraft are equipped with self locating datum marker buoys

Of the responding commercial vessels, the Green Lake is a 655-foot U.S.-flagged car carrier traveling from Japan to the U.S. mainland. The second vessel is a Panamanian-flagged LNG tanker, the 968-foot SM Eagle on a voyage from the U.S. mainland to Korea. Two additional vessels, a car carrier, and a tanker were also en route.

“We are thankful no injuries have been reported but are cognizant a lot is happening, and that may change at any time,” said Elliott.

USCG, Multiple Vessels Responding to ‘Significant’ Fire on Vehicle Carrier in Pacific Ocean; Master Reported Intent to Abandon Ship

The fire started yesterday in the sea 1,800 nautical miles from Hawaii. Glad no one was hurt and hope it stays that way. At least two aircraft respond to help out. Many other commercial ships also responded.

There are 21 crew members and 4 had to abandoned ship into the water. Life rafts were also launched.

edit on 1-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Geez that's a scary scary thing. Having been on ship for over 18 months, I can't imagine what it's like to have an uncontrollable fire. Glad no one was was reported hurt. Hope everyone makes it home safely.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Lots of ships out there.

Ship Locator

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

I have never been on a ship that has left the dock but I can see how fire would be a very scary thing.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Thanks for that great link. There still are a lot of ships there. I hope everyone is OK.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The fire appears to have been in the cargo area. Wonder if it was electric vehicles?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
A balancing act between pumping water in and pumping water out.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Latest report I heard is 16 crewmembers have been rescued, 3 were seen floating unresponsive (probably dead) but hadn't been recovered, and 2 were still missing.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Ive seen these ships on the bay. Big big boats that are completely enclosed. Not a window in site except on the bridge level.
Smoke alone could kill them. Burning cars are toxic.

when I first saw one I didnt know what it was and I worked in the freight forwarding industry for thirteen years. I had t o google a description of what I saw.

goo.gl...
looked kinda like this.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Thanks for the first hand info Silly and thanks to all the others above that have supplied info and links.

I just can't imagine being 1800N miles from shore on a ship on fire. On Deadliest Catch fire and going overboard always seems to be the captain and crews biggest fear.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I fought a ship board fire on a wood hulled minesweep back in 1973.

No fun
102msos.8m.net...

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Glad you won the battle.

Military ships sure have come a long way since then.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Minesweepers were wood because that was non magnetic. I imagine they are something else by now.

edit on 2-1-2019 by mikell because: (no reason given)

top topics

join