It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google may now be more free to use facial recognition technology without your consent.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

After weeks of notoriety and backlash, Google has scored a legal victory allowing it to keep a close watch on users of Google products.

On Saturday, a U.S. District Judge in Chicago dismissed a lawsuit filled against the internet giant which alleged that Google violated users’ right to privacy by using facial recognition technology without their consent.

The lawsuit, originally filed in 2016, was the result of the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, one of the strictest biometric security laws in the nation. It requires tech companies to obtain explicit permission from Illinois citizens in order to make any biometric scans of their bodies.

Facebook and Snapchat are facing similar challenges from the law, but Google’s victory could signal a new era in the use and development of facial recognition technology.

Google Wins Lawsuit Over Facial Recognition Technology

Facial recognition is also used publicly at places like airports and privately at events like concerts. This ruling and others to come will expand the use of facial recognition and other biometric Information like the way you walk or the shape of your hands.

It is bad now the information that is complied on us and it is going to get a whole lot worst.

edit on 1-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: link and words

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This sounds cool. I'm not doing anything illegal so I have nothing to hide.

My Pixel phone does wonders with AI and a lot of the interactive features. Feels like it's trying to tailor to my life in order to make it better and easier. Can't wait to see what facial recognition can offer.

In terms of security, now it'll be easier to capture criminals and those who are a threat to society. Will help monitor and keep the streets clean.
edit on 1-1-2019 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say,"

"You can't give away the rights of others because they're not useful to you,"
Snowden.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Even though Franklin was talking about taxes, I think it applies here.

It should be updated to to say:

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety and convenience, deserve neither liberty, safety nor convenience.

Most of us are guilty of this unless we live off the grid and have a flip phone

edit on 1-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

The sad reality is that this is, has been and will always be a thing. I've said before and maybe even on ats that I think we're only now finding out about something that has been used for a few years now. With the amount of pictures we put on social media, the information we have to give when we sign up to things online, heck even when you go for a job nowadays you have to give them half your life story just on the application tells me that we're having second lives build in VR and in the near future we're going to see the social score system that is now running in China celebrated as a great idea and a wonderful thing before long it'll then begin to have "test" areas in the EU they'll ignore all the bad stuff about privacy etc and soon after the EU it'll reach other countries.

America will be next. I know they (I'm a Brit) like to celebrate the fact that they are land of the free, the last place of true freedom but as we all know they are spied on just as much if not more than most western countries and I honestly think that this is going to be the way of the future. My next big prediction will be the Alexa House, it'll be a cheap to buy/rent housing project that'll have Alexa integrated into the very building (so if the door bell rings you can say "Alexa who is at the door?" She'll check your contacts see photos connected to them and then say "Mum is at the door" and you can tell it to open the door or not) so it'll be the future and the worst part is the Alexa house (can't think of another name for it) will be held up as the thing that'll save housing crisis, the poor and homeless will be the first to get in and it'll just go from there.

Freedom is becoming an illusion and if it continues they'll eventually become a generation of people who'll say "Privacy? What's that?" and please don't tell me you have to protest, governments will pretend they're listening but then do it anyway look at France and how the EU have said that the French pres has to push through with his new tax plan...well the EU's tax plan.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I find all of this spying on us to be infuriating. This is one of my biggest pet peeves along with the authoritarian Government entities and the NWO.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

Cool post Dwoodward and dire prediction. You are right about the Alexa House, I am sure we will see something like that soon.

we're having second lives build in VR

With all the info they gather I would not doubt it. I like your ideas

I think freedom has always been an illusion and most people really don't want it.

edit on 1-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prisoner60863

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say,"

"You can't give away the rights of others because they're not useful to you,"
Snowden.

And they had nothing to say

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Awww, how cute. Another fake fight for our freedom.

Big brother is fighting to protect us from the spy companies they started.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Good thing nobody is being forced to use google product.

*NWO averted* phew, that was close

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I don't see any fight here. Just lamenting over how bad it is and how it will be getting even worst.

Facebook, Google and a lot of the others like them are all part of big brother.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

It is not just using Google products, all are being tracked. It is really hard to avoid. In today's society a smart phone is a requirement for many. You pretty much have to live off the grid with no smart phone and internet if you want to advert your "NWO*

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Of course there's not a big fight. Why would they limit their power?

Look at that fake cogressional grilling with zuckerturd. Bla,bla,bla, bs.

They left out the small detail of fb messenger using your microphone, or possibly camera too on any device you install it in and made it about sharing contact, or some other bs.

It's still operating today..

If you have messenger on your devices, better 86 it fast.

He was acting, and sucks at it. His fake tail between the legs skit.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

So true. Don't forget Microsoft that fake congressional grilling was not covered as much.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Goggle has been using it without your consent anyway. Google is run by communists/pedophiles.a reply to: LookingAtMars

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   

This is legacy of the war on terror, and we should all be terrified...

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Ok every camera getting some tape.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
One way or another, if you have a government and general establishment that is intent upon playing big brother, they'll do what the please and most people won't care.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You havn't done that yet! I did it years ago after seeing that pic/video of a tech CEO with his laptop camera taped over. Forget who it was maybe Zuck? But what to do about the mic?

edit on 2-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Time to get some lcd lights fitted to the baseball hat just to mess with them back

B/ who in their right mind still uses Google

new topics

top topics

join