It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strategic Command deletes and apologizes for gung-ho NYE tweet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Story

Here's the tweet in question:

It was accompanied by a video, which was released earlier this year, showing a B-2 dropping a pair of MOPs (Massive Ordnance Penetrators - a 30,000 pound bomb). The hashtags that accompanied the tweet made it clear it was not a threat and wasn't aimed at anyone in particular: #deterrence, #assurance, #CombatReadyForce - these are literally Strategic Command's mission. Our enemies knowing we have these capabilities and are ready to use them is a vital part of their mission.

Of course, uninformed, easily-offended numbskulls on Twitter wasted no time in condemning the innocuous tweet. One former government official, who apparently has no idea how the military works, responded

"What kind of maniacs are running this country?"

Someone should probably let him in on the fact that Strategic Command has no say whatsoever in running the country.

Another user responded

"Why is @US_Stratcom joking about nuclear war? #shameful,"

apparently unaware that the bombs shown are non-nuclear.

Do any of these people know what Strategic Command's is for? In war, it exists for one purpose only, to kill people. In peace, it exists to deter war. They succeeded at that for 40 years during the Cold War. They basically tweeted what their mission is. There was nothing wrong with it, no need to apologize. If there's one place political correctness does not belong, it's in our military. I saw this slowly creep in during my time in the Air Force, slowly trying to make us more sensitive and pussify us. It needs to stop. What's next? Do we need to change "Fly, fight and win" to just "Fly" because fighting is mean and winning is a construct of toxic masculinity? The military's mission isn't pretty folks. I once had a Captain who told us our mission was to "kill people and break their sh*t." Full stop. Newsflash, war is unpleasant. StratCom wasn't threatening war, the tweet wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it just said we're ready to carry out our mission, if it becomes necessary. They should re-tweet it and anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to read it.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's like people don't know that the military kills people and blows stuff up.

I like having a gung ho military.
edit on 1 1 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So is US Strategic Command NOT ready to drop something much, much bigger? /sarc

I dunno, that sounds like the bigger problem than a tweet made in jest.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
you sleep soundly in your bed . because rough men stand ready to .......

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hey let's celebrate a new year and a new hope and dropping big bombs and killing people

Pretty poor taste in reality
Well for normal humans

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
In my opinion on New Years eve it was in bad taste to post such a tweet.

I don't think they should have been made to remove the tweet (its my understanding that they weren't) although I personally agree with their own decision to remove the tweet because like I said I think its in bad taste at this time of the year. My personal interpretation of this tweet isn't so much a threat of dropping bombs but I still think its in poor taste and I can understand why some might view it as a indirect threat.

I also understand that STRATCOM might want to convey a message to the American people that they remain at a state of readiness at all times, even at new year, however I do think that there would be a better way of conveying that message.

edit on 1-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Hey let's celebrate a new year and a new hope and dropping big bombs and killing people

Well for normal humans

Except that's not what the tweet did. Try reading the OP, it explains what the tweet is about for the uninformed.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

So to sum up your OP: screw anyone who who finds it appalling that the USSC would tweet them dropping massive bombs — and gloating about it.

Bombs = death. Most the time, innocent death is involved.

Why tweet this during the ball dropping event? What was the purpose?

Should we all pull ours out too, like the USSC did? We can all compare who’s is bigger.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
AMERICUH FYEAH

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Maybe this year they are going to start WW3 so they wanted to bring in the new year with a early warning bang. They did say they are ready to drop something much much bigger. The loss of innocent civilian life would be enormus. Think of the children.

edit on 1-1-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Well for normal humans

Nobody talked about celebrating by dropping bombs or killing people. That was a product of your own sick mind.

EDIT TO ADD- "yeah let's celebrate Christmas by putting a dead body wearing a Santa Hat as my avatar!" The hypocrisy is Literally nauseating... 🤢🤮
edit on 1/1/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

So to sum up your OP: screw anyone who who finds it appalling that the USSC would tweet them dropping massive bombs — and gloating about it.

Should we all pull ours out too, like the USSC did? We can all compare who’s is bigger.

Your summary is completely off. You should try re-reading too, you completely missed the point of what the bombs are for, and it's not death. As for the timing, dropping a ball/dropping bombs, a New Year's themed message, would be kinda weird to tweet this on another day.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Maybe this year they are going to start WW3 so they wanted to bring in the new year with a early warning bang. They did say they are ready to drop something much much bigger. The loss of innocent civilian life would be enormus. Think of the children.

Yeah, people really ought to think of their children first before they try effing with us.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

To sum up your post: "Screw the military, they're not allowed to be proud of the sacrifices they make in order to keep us safe."

And don't kid yourself. The only reason you are as safe as you are right now is because people fear what our military men and women are capable of.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Yeah, people really ought to think of their children first before they try effing with us.

Wow really! Or else what? What about the kids huh?
edit on 1-1-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

What do you think the military is for?

spreading holiday cheer?

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Wow really! Or else what?

Or else:

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Or else:

Bombing kids is your go to reply?

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
OR ELSE

WERE GOING COME SAVE THE MOTHER#ING DAY YEAAAAAAAH AMERICUUUUHHHHHH

Maybe they could paint a smiley face on the side for feels.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Or else:

Bombing kids is your go to reply?

lol you do a ninja edit and then attempt to go for emotional appeal

CHILDREN THINK OF THE CHILDREN

you hacky.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join