It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch New Horizons Flyby Live Stream

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
You can watch the New Horizons probe flyby of Ultima Thule at around midnight eastern time tonight. Here is a live PBS/NASA feed that is streaming now.

edit on 31-12-2018 by LookingAtMars because: clarity

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

You know it's not really live. Right?

Damn lightspeed. Damn it to hell!

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It is a live stream. The title does not say: live action happening now as you watch it

But as usual, you are correct there is of course a time delay because of the distance.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

6 hours?
Damn that's a long way away! Inverse squared rule says that is one tiny signal.

edit on 12/31/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Sure is, Pluto was only a 4 hour plus delay. It has covered a quite of bit of space since then.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

You know it's not really live. Right?

Damn lightspeed. Damn it to hell!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I mentioned in This Post from a few days ago, I think the 12:33 AM U.S. EST (05:33 UTC) is in fact the real-time live time that the fly-by will be happening. The spacecraft will spend 3+ hours after that taking pictures an gathering data, then it will turn around to face its antenna to earth and send the signal. That signal will take about 6 hours to reach us.

Add it all together and that means it wont be until 9+ hours later (about 10:00 AM EST, or 15:00 UTC) for the signal to reach us that the flyby was successful.

I'm not sure if NASA TV is affected by the government shut-down (although it's on at the moment), but there is an alternate viewing option, which is Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab (APL) YouTube channel. Johns Hopkins APL designed and operates the spacecraft.

Johns Hopkins "Where to Watch" page

Johns Hopkins APL YouTube Channel

NASA TV (if not affected by the shutdown)

edit on 12/31/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I guess you're right.

I have trouble with the International Date Line. Is it tomorrow, or yesterday?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Yes.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I guess you're right.

Funny story, because I know you live in Hawaii (don't you??).

I was in Guam for work a couple of years ago, staying at a Hilton in Hagatna on a Tuesday night. Early Wednesday morning, I flew from Guam to Hawaii (I had additional work there for the rest of the week). We crossed the dateline, so it was Tuesday again when we landed in Hawaii. I again stayed at a Hilton in Waikiki for the rest of the week -- racking up my Hilton Honors points....

....At least I thought I was getting all my points, until I got back to my Pennsylvania home and noticed that Hilton didn't give me credit for the Tuesday night in Waikiki because their records showed me in both Guam Tuesday night and Waikiki on Tuesday night, and their computers (I suppose) said I couldn't be in both hotels at once -- so they only gave me credit for the one. Me and my other two co-workers all had the same issue.

Thankfully, we got it worked out, but I told Hilton I couldn't believe their system didn't make allowances for crossing the dateline, which I bet is a common thing for people arriving in Hawaii from points west (from Guam, in my case). I wonder how many people that happened to in the past that didn't notice or follow up?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

6 hours?

6 hours; the time difference between New York and London, coincidence?? Wasn't the Apollo 11 set also out on Apple Road?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

6 hours?

6 hours; the time difference between New York and London, coincidence?? Wasn't the Apollo 11 set also out on Apple Road?

The speed-of-light radio signal delay between the Earth and Moon during Apollo 11 was about 2 seconds.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Hmmm...One of the researchers just said that they don't know exactly where Ultima Thule is, so it's possible that it may not be captured in all of the highest resolution pictures. Then again, that camera will be taking 900 images covering a large swath of sky, so they are optimistic it will be captured in some or most of those images.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
"Left turn ahead."
There is no left turn ahead. Stupid GPS. Doesn't know where we're going.

edit on 12/31/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
12:33 AM EST: New Horizons closest approach has happened. Now we need to wait for it to finish doing its data gathering then turn its antenna to send the data back.

The first of that data won't be here for 10 hours (6 hours of that due to the speed-of-light signal delay), and the last of the data won't be back for 2 months (mostly due to low bandwidth).

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

But what it it's an alien base and they captured the probe? We'll never know.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The

But what it it's an alien base and they captured the probe? We'll never know.

This might be the first and only picture we get from Ultima Thule:

Billy Meier was a prophet.

edit on 1/1/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Or so we are told

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In less than an hour from now (10:15 am U.S. EST, 15:15 UTC) the mission team from NASA and Johns Hopkins Apllied Physics Lab (APL) should get signal acquisition from New Horizons -- and I'm wondering if maybe we get a teaser image (I'm just speculating on the image).

The Flyby actually happened at 12:33 AM last night, but because the spacecraft had to be turned a certain way to take the pictures and gather other data, it was not the correct way to send signals back to Earth. It didn't turn and send the signal/data to Earth until three hours after the flyby, and then it takes 6.5 hours for that signal to reach earth -- So sometime between 10:15 and 10:45 EST, they will get the "I'm OK" signal from New Horizons.

Then at 11:30 am EST today (16:30 UTC) there will be a press briefing where I expect they will have images and other data. At 2:00 pm EST tomorrow and Thursday will be additional press briefings with additional info. The data comes slowly because of a very low bandwidth connection, so data will continue trickling down for about 2 months.

Today's New Horizons TV schedule:

Jan. 1: 10:15 – 10:45 am EST (15:15 - 15:45 UTC)
Live coverage of New Horizons signal-acquisition activities in the Mission Operations Center, confirming spacecraft status and flyby success

Jan. 1: 11:30 am– 12:30 pm EST (16:30 - 17:30 UTC)
Press briefing: Spacecraft status, latest images and data download schedule. Panelists include Alan Stern, New Horizons principal investigator, Southwest Research Institute; Alice Bowman, New Horizons mission operations manager, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory; Hal Weaver, New Horizons project scientist, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory; Chris Hersman, New Horizons mission systems engineer, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory.

NASA TV (Doesn't yet seem to be affected by gov't shutdown)

Johns Hopkins APL YouTube Channel (alternate channel if NASA TV is shut down)

Johns Hopkins APL Schedule and "Where to Watch" page

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Signal Acquisition coverage starting now -- Jan 1, 15:20 UTC (10:20 am EST)
There will also be a press briefing at 16:30 UTC (11:30 am EST).

Watch here:
www.nasa.gov...

or here:
www.nasa.gov...

Also here:

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Live Update:

Signal acquisition successful. That means that New Horizons is OK and was not destroyed by a piece of space debris.

Next up: hopefully get some data from the flyby.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join