It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's New Pet law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008
a reply to: Phage

If memory serves, a person can sell to the public without a license up to 20 companion animals a year.

No longer true. It is state based and in some cases even goes down to the city.
In my city you have to have a pet fanciers license.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

What if the pet isn't fancy?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I've been out of the field for many years. I have strong personal feelings about the subject and would love to see more responsibility all around. With that said however, I think that California tends to go off the deep end way too much. I think that the pet industry needs to do a better job of policing itself, and that includes the shelters.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

I think that the pet industry needs to do a better job of policing itself,
What's the incentive?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

It is state based right now

consumer.findlaw.com...
"Regulations governing the purchase of pets typically focus on professional breeders and retail sales at pet shops. However, anyone selling puppies or kittens out of their home also may be subject to such disclosure rules. Depending on your city and/or state of residence, you may need to obtain a breeder's license if you plan to sell even just one puppy or kitten"

Nothing against giving them away, however.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Puppies are not free. Immunizations and whatnot.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

There really isn't any incentive other than love of a particular breed or respect for all of our furry friends. Pure Bred Rescue teams all over the U.S help to uncover abuses, as do many other organizations. They are often frustrated by the regulators.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

There really isn't any incentive other than love of a particular breed or respect for all of our furry friends.
Legislation would seem to be a viable disincentive though. Unless you think that private purchasers are primary to puppy mill operators. I don't. I think puppy mills won't want to have anything to do with private purchases. I think this law may serve as a good model.

edit on 12/31/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You often get what you pay for.

For me? I got a ripped open face and then putting down a dog with bone cancer early while it stared at me with it's tail wagging, wondering why it's legs wouldn't work.

Only purebred dogs with medical/breeding history and pups bought at 6-8 weeks so I know how they are raised.

Rescue pets are ok, but understand the risk as well as the rewards.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I agree. I think that most responsible breeders would also agree. Mills never want eyes on their operation, so rely on pet shops. Been reading the "Pet Fancier" regs. They seem to be reasonable.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I bought a puppy from a guy. Beautiful. Papers and everything. Pup died from a staph infection a week after I brought him home.

It wasn't a puppy mill. Just a guy with a golden retriever bitch. I met him. I met her.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Females are often times bred with their own grown male litter because the breeder takes the cheap easy route. Some breeders breed for certain traits which calls for more inbreeding. Some pretty sad results with that practice.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Did you get another pup, or reimbursed?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

That's one of the few good things about the AKC. Registered animals cannot be inbred within four generations.
While it helps, it does not preclude genetic disease.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I was too sad to get back to the guy.

Got another golden a year or so later. That one was the best dog ever. From a pet shop, the owner of which was the breeder. Same with current critter, Tucker. Who is great, but not all goldens are the same.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Good for you. My heart has been broken so often that I have decided to go it alone for a while, but not forever.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I tried for over a year to adopt a small breed puppy. I wanted no less than two and no more than four.

I have a little over 5 acres and lost my 20 year old Rhodesian RIdgeland, 3 years ago and my and my 13 y/o Ridgeback followed 6 months later from a broken heart.

ACC had no small dogs. They were quickly snatched up by the rescue organizations that charge more for some dogs than a breeder.

I ended up with 5 dual registered pure breed Siberian Huskies, that I rescued from a breeder that had to shut down her business and find good homes for her dogs in a short amount of time. She charged me nothing, and they were driven over 1200 miles and delivered to my home on Christmas Day, one year ago.

She had a family emergency and had to move quickly, she just wanted good homes for her dogs.

I am not painting all rescues with the same brush but from my experience, some rescue organizations are bigger rackets than pet stores. Many are in it just for the money.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I went three years dogless. My daughter (who was 10 at the time) schooled me.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Good Girl. I have an adult son that keeps at me. In a couple of years I may just do what I have never done and go for a responsibly bred German Shepherd. Need to get myself psyched for those 3 or 4 ADD years I need to go through before I have the most loyal and stoic friend.

You don't seem like the Golden Retriever type.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Best dogs in the world.

Seriously. Fine watchdogs. Hell of a bark.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join