It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear Arms or Wear Charms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

True. C Jung said. "Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism."

“Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.”

― George Carlin

But, where would we be without idealist? Goes back to whose happier, an optimist or a pessimist. Carlin also said something to the effect that he does not vote, so he has a right to complain; whereas those that do vote don't as they participated and he didn't.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Agreed. Turn the other cheek just allows us to be manipulated.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: davido
Today, I noticed a bumper sticker, that read, "Bear Arms or Wear Chains", Noticing the polarity in attitudes these days and the division and diversity of polar attitudes in today's climate, I wonder if the division itself is creating a hegelian distopia.

So, Bear Arms or Wear Charms?

Ghandi- Be the change you want to see in the world.

Just curious about the thoughts around here regarding this mantra. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like we are simply giving into the chaos when we take a hard stand on either side of the duality pair? Are we evolving or devolving? Do we be the change by polarizing and acting out, or do we be the change by setting an example that hopefully enough will learn from by being peaceful within and without of ourselves. Aggressive or meek?

Don't be so naive...

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It means either be throwing your own lead stones or wear lucky charms to hope mine don't make holes in you.
If you are afraid to die then you are afraid to live.....if you cannot take life you cannot protect life....everyone is not wired to protect life....Sheepdogs don't feel guilty they feel workmanlike...and they aren't afraid to throw lead stones.
edit on 31-12-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: davido

I think this guy was onto something...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
― Samuel Adams

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I think Ghandi was operating in a highly asymmetrical setting, where it was easier to rebel peacefully rather than with arms, because the British were superior in strength of arms.

On the other hand, the American Revolution had more access to knowledge and arms.

We are all giving in to the chaos to some extent, you just have more to win if the order favors you more.

I mean, sometimes chaos is better than order, for some people. We have to manage that element of chaos.
edit on 31-12-2018 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

That only applies if "wealth" coincides with "tranquility of servitude". Otherwise it is a recipe for chaos. And Samuel Adams chose chaos over order, much to his credit, in that context.

Edit: Well, wealth combined with tranquility of servitude is bad too. But I'd argue that a servant can't truly be as tranquil as a free man or woman.
edit on 31-12-2018 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I remember the words of an absolutely moronic ‘world leader’ who said, “if you kill your enemies, they win”.

To applause from other low-info morons.

Wear charms, yeah that’ll work.
edit on 31 12 2018 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cutepants

That only applies if "wealth" coincides with "tranquility of servitude". Otherwise it is a recipe for chaos. And Samuel Adams chose chaos over order, much to his credit, in that context.

Edit: Well, wealth combined with tranquility of servitude is bad too. But I'd argue that a servant can't truly be as tranquil as a free man or woman.

Sam was a troublemaker, no doubt.

However, he was one of those that was at the right time and place.

That quote was soon after the Declaration of Independence and he was talking to representatives of the colonies, if I remember correctly.

A solid 7% of America supported the war for independence. The rest were mostly Tory supporters.

So that speech to me was a real game changer, considering the outcome.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I agree most people are sheep or asleep or whatever, yes.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: LABTECH767

No bare arms means they aren't covered lol. To bear arms is to carry them.

Jaden

Sorry I was away for a while there but let's just assume you are correct on this one point.
However even our dictionary over here is being revised with an Americanized slant and to be quite frank while I do like the American's and feel we owe them a lot - or rather there grandfathers I REALLY I mean REALLY get annoyed at having to constantly use Americanized spelling's when in FACT they are actually WRONG.
en.wikipedia.org...
There are more people that use the English - or Anglo French spelling's for thing's like CENTRE which is the correct spelling despite the illiterate spell checker that the site uses for CENTER which is actually the incorrect spelling.
COLOUR which is wrongly spelled COLOR etc, etc and I could go on and on and on.
Let's just say even though I am definitely no English laureate it really annoy's me something wrotten.
These letters May have been silent for the majority of Modern English pronunciation but some more recent one's are more telling.
Aluminium - Al - YOU - MIN - EEEE - UM which is wrongly spelled Aluminum in the states pronounced Al - UH - MIN - UM also wrongly but correctly for the phonetic use of the alphabet which makes no consideration for the historical significance of the correct spelling's.
Another thing that get's up my nose is the constant use by yank's of ASK when they mean AXE (and YES that's the correct spelling for an AXE which the Yank's once again have abbreviated to AX and often annoyingly pronounce ASK).
Grumble, roar, groan.

But all languages evolve and even some of the spelling's I have used above have gone out of fashion here - BUT mostly due to Americanized influence in the form of mass media.

Remember this though most British commonwealth nation's were English is still spoken use the CORRECT spelling's.
Sometime's the Americanization is almost as bad as a translated Chinese technical manual for a PC chip's motherboard if you ever tried to read one of those.

edit on 1-1-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I prefer the bumper sticker that reads; " Bear Arms or Arm Bears " !

😎

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Oh boy is your tittle a bit on the erroneous side. The first thing that came to mind before I actually clicked your link on Bear Arms or Wear Charms? Was that family guy stint about the second amendment.

But to answer your question, aggressive or meek? Its not really a question that has any meaning given the overall different situation and possibilities one can find themselves in. So the answer is...It depends.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join