It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump is reconsidering Syria's Withdrawal On Thin Ice After Lunch With Lindsey Graham

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
President Trump is "reconsidering" his strategy to pull US forces out of Syria following an "eye-opening trip to Iraq" the day after Christmas, Bloomberg reports.

Source 1
Source 2

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) who sits on the Senate Armed Forces Committee - a harsh critic of Trump's announced pullout, said earlier Sunday that he would try to change Trump's mind during a private lunch since the Islamic state isn't quite defeated in the region as the President had previously stated. "I feel better about Syria than I felt before I had lunch," said Graham after he left the White House. "I think the president is taking this really seriously, and the trip to Iraq was well timed." Trump has apparently devised a strategy with his generals in the field that "makes sense" according to the Senator.

On Sunday morning, Graham told CNN's "State of the Union" that Trump had spoken with General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. "I got a call from General Dunford," said Graham. "The president is reconsidering how we do this."

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
very interested to see if all those who thought that pulling out of Syria is a great idea will change their mind.

its still a good idea and we still should right?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 31-12-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
He is reconsidering HOW to do it, not IF.

From your source :

think we're in a pause situation where we are re-evaluating what's the best way to achieve the president's objective of having people pay more and do more," Mr. Graham said.

He did not explain this, but The New York Times reportsthat he may be referring to assurances given to military officials that they can have longer than 30 days to ensure an orderly withdrawal of troops.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Is President Trump already caving to the Pressure created by the Mainstream News Media and Deep State Politicians the Militarily Industry complex? the same ones who don't want to see a withdrawal from Syria at all.

What the Militarily Industry complex wants to see is more chaos and wars.

The Notion of Iran.
The concept that somehow Iran should leave Syria is nonsense. Syria and Iran are allies in the region also known as the
resistance agaisnt Imperialists and that is a thing that America and politicians like Graham will never understand. Iranians will not be withdrawing from Syria anytime soon.

Americans real reason for standing in Syria now is not about ISIS nor Iran but Russia. As i said about Iran, Russians are also not withdrawing. American War mongering Machine must be believing that somehow Iran has a massive army in Syria which that isn't case at all.

I believe that politicians like Sen. Lindsey Graham need a dose of a reality check and wake up call.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Look at Sen. Lindsey Graham tweet.

He wants Trump to push for unrealistic goals in Syria for a withdrawal.
1.Removal of Russians
2.Removal of Iranians.
3.American/UN Puppet selected into office. Assad removed.

I am not making this up.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes, it's still a good idea and we still should.

As I've said before, there's never really a "good time" to pull our troops out of a perpetually war-torn area of the world (I would argue THE perpetually war-torn area of the world), but at some point, we have to admit to ourselves that we are not going to be the police and babysitters to sovereign nations forever.

Yes, it sucks that innocent people just wanting to live their lives will lose protection.

Yes, it sucks that we have spent so much time, money, and lives over there attempting to "help."

Yes, it's highly probable that we will watch those nations return to dangerous and corrupt rule and continue with their perpetual culture of war.

But I want my brothers- and sisters-in-arms home, a sit is readily apparent by what we know of that region of the world that many of their lives are being destroyed, both physically and mentally, chasing a pipe dream of stabilizing that area of the world.

So, I will repeat: Yes, it's still a good idea and we still should--and should have a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This literally just reads to me and "Trump says what he wants, base roars, someone with a brain provides information, everyone backtracks."

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
very interested to see if all those who thought that pulling out of Syria is a great idea will change their mind.

its still a good idea and we still should right?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, I still support it. Take a picture/screenshot and you can call me out all you want for not wanting to be a warmonger. Makes no difference to me.

ETA: I believe the OP's story is out of date or misleading. Lindsey Graham already stated he changed his position after talking to Trump over lunch. Only time will tell what is really going to happen.
edit on 31-12-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtlasHawk

1.Removal of Russians
2.Removal of Iranians.

I am not making this up.

Considering he said he felt better about Syria after lunch means all of the above and more will most likely be done in another way that keeps our troops out of harms way. Just a guess I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

don't get your hopes to high though. But the removal of Russia or Iran wont be happening ever. However if Trump doesn't achieve this withdrawal in Syria in two years from now it would seriously damage Trumps credibility. If he doesn't make his push happen.

AIPAC/Military industry complex seem to have put more pressure or even threats to Trump's family members.

"You will be the next JFK if you withdrawal from Syria"

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtlasHawk

1.Removal of Russians
2.Removal of Iranians.

I am not making this up.

So this means war...

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

I think the withdrawal will be modified. New parameters set for a definite reduction in our footprint abroad. A smarter deployment.

A less "profitable" but also less costly deployment. One that focuses on achieving goals instead of greasing the funding train.

It will be in the same spirit as when Trump changed the rules of engagement to end the stalemate with ISIS. The "problem" can't get as much money thrown at it when solved, but it also no longer drains your resources.

It's a good thing Trump is flexible. Most strong-minded leaders don't stay honest and reconsider their choices.

I would like to see our full withdrawal. If it's a slow process so as to not create a power void like the one that created ISIS in Iraq then so be it.

But we DO have to go.

(post by odzeandennz removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Lindsey and lobbyists probably have a lot of stock investments in the MIC and energy and a desire to kept thrill of warring alive in the ME.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The problem with that is majority of Americans and people in the world and middle east don't want more Americans occupying Syria nor Iraq. The longer occupation in Middle East is the longer that resistance grows agaisnt.

America's defeat in middle east and Afghanistan would be far worse and embarrassing on the world stage should America decide to stay for more.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It's really sad seeing how many fellow ATS members are all for continuing to drop bombs, killing innocents, creating more terrorists, destroying other countries, exploding our national debt. But hey, I guess it's easy to sit behind your keyboards acting like tough guys.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

We've needed to pull out of the ME in general for years.

This is a generational fight. Its time to end it.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Yep and the average American has no say in the matter. It's the leader's call and they have an agenda which isn't human rights or such.

edit on 12/31/2018 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

BS. They won't pull out that easily. This is a fkin political stunt.
edit on 31-12-2018 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hell…

Israel “practically a U.S military base in disguise” been created there because of “proximity” to Russia; all their nukes are targeting Russian’s military/railroad/energy and nuclear bases since the cold war.

There are “tons of evidence/documents/proofs” showing ISIS is creation of the U.S along with all the other terrorist groups in that area. Once I heard about “the FAKE NEWS of the US withdrawal from Syria” couldn’t help myself not laughing my arse off for hours!!

The U.S. government is “caught with pants down again” and still haven’t realise what kind of super embarrassing position they’ve put themselves internationally in yet.

Now this “Sen. Graham” wants to do what..? The damage is already done and irreparable..!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join