It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China has built a giant experimental radio antenna five times the size of New York City

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Ok so China has built an antenna 5 times the size of New York City and is a great technological achievement in my opinion. I had no idea such megastructures were being built. It is a mystery to me how such a large megastructure works and I am facinated with its possible uses. I wonder if it could have a variety of functions other than what is being told.

Questions come to mind like:

Is this a one of a kind megastructure or are more of these going to start popping up?

Will the huge antenna have an effect on the environment or on humans and animal life?

What changes to society with such megastructures as these have on society?

What are some of the hypothetical military uses for this megastructure? Eletronic warfare?

Why do we only hear about this type of stuff after its already finished? I had no idea such a structure was being built and I think this is big news!

I am curious and facinated by this find.

What say you ATS?

www.scmp.com...
China has built a giant experimental radio antenna on a piece of land almost five times the size of New York City, according to researchers involved in the highly controversial project.

The Wireless Electromagnetic Method (WEM) project took 13 years to build but researchers said it was finally ready to emit extremely low frequency radio waves, also known as ELF waves.

Although the project has civilian uses – officially it will be used for earthquake and mineral detection and forms part of China’s 11th five-year plan – it could also play a crucial role in military communications.

Scientists said its transmissions could be picked up by a submarine lurking hundreds of metres below the sea, thereby reducing the risk of having to resurface to pick up transmissions.

edit on 31-12-2018 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord
Wow, it's hard for me to comprehend how big that is. Thanks for posting, interesting read, maybe it is Chinese mind control lol, cue spooky music.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

The US has been using ELF communications for a very long time now and there's at least one such base in West Australia I know of so no doubt there's already a considerable number operating globally. I don't think the environmental/humanitarian aspects are a factor for China if they decide to build something for military or scientific purposes.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum
China doesn't give a # if it wants to build something, from water dams flooding valleys, to massive radio tech.
Chinese people just do as they are told.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   

So its about this big!

I was looking for pictures of the thing but I havent found any, its supposed to be about 5 times the size of New York City which a land area of about 302.6 square miles (784 km2)

So if we multiply that times 5 it is a megastructure antenna 1513 miles 2434.937 kilometers in size.
edit on 31-12-2018 by FormOfTheLord because:
edit on 31-12-2018 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   

There are radiotelescope arrays planned that will have an effective radius larger than the Earth.

The Allen Array in the US, the Square Kilometer Array, Chilean and South African Arrays are linked and are already producing results.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

So this is saying it's 4000km squared, how come i've never heard of it.

I don't think it's going to cause cancer, waves that low in frequency shouldn't affect us.
Must take a lot of effort to maintain something this big
edit on 31-12-2018 by SpaghettiHero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaghettiHero

That amounts to an area only 63km square so maybe not so 'mega' if you have enough land to dedicate to a project like this. Makes me wonder how it compares to other large radar / comms / radio telescope projects around the globe.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum

The US has been using ELF communications for a very long time now and there's at least one such base in West Australia I know of so no doubt there's already a considerable number operating globally. I don't think the environmental/humanitarian aspects are a factor for China if they decide to build something for military or scientific purposes.

I think you should have gone and done some research before posting. China is leaving us sitting environmentally.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaghettiHero

I don't think it's going to cause cancer, waves that low in frequency shouldn't affect us.
Must take a lot of effort to maintain something this big

Thats the same thing I have been wondering! If some country builds some technological object 5 times the size of New York City why was there no news of this? This is bigger than alot of countries! I am like OMFG what?!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

The thing just sounds like HAARP of steroids. This source (9newsAu) had this to say about ELF;

...Previously the the International Agency for Research on Cancer has warned that ELF waves are “possibly carcinogenic to humans”.

In a report regularly updated from 2007, the World Health Organisation recorded many academic studies linking ELF radiation to illnesses such as depression, sleep deprivation, breast and brain tumours and suicide.

Source

I've also been unable to find any images of the facility. I'll have a look-see in GE in its suspected region, but I'm on mobile so it might be a struggle.

ETA, maybe not then;

The radar will be difficult for spy satellites to detect because it will appear no different to an ordinary power grid, although a radar expert said it might be possible to detect its emissions and use those to determine the location.

edit on 31/12/2018 by MerkabaTribeEntity because: ETA

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity

The thing just sounds like HAARP of steroids. This source (9newsAu) had this to say about ELF;

...Previously the the International Agency for Research on Cancer has warned that ELF waves are “possibly carcinogenic to humans”.

In a report regularly updated from 2007, the World Health Organisation recorded many academic studies linking ELF radiation to illnesses such as depression, sleep deprivation, breast and brain tumours and suicide.

Source

I've also been unable to find any images of the facility. I'll have a look-see in GE in its suspected region, but I'm on mobile so it might be a struggle.

ETA, maybe not then;

The radar will be difficult for spy satellites to detect because it will appear no different to an ordinary power grid, although a radar expert said it might be possible to detect its emissions and use those to determine the location.

Funny that you mention it just a few weeks ago China and Russia did a joint public test of HAARP technology for the first time.
www.scmp.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Something tells me the size of this thing is wrong in that report.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The one in Michigan is rather large too.

ELF Michigans UP

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

You've taken a measure of area and used it to figure a simple measure of length.

The article states that the antenna occupies 1,400 sq. miles of land, not that it is 1,500 miles in length.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Not to be all doomy, but that's a super weapon.

LoL.

Happy new year conspiracy people!

Edit to add:
HARP tech. Yeah. I guess our archives got raided pretty hard.

edit on 12 31 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
The one in Michigan is rather large too.

ELF Michigans UP

Seems like that ones purpose was to communicate post nuclear war however it was shut down in 2004.

Considering what the USA version was an older version and the bandwidth of the transmission is very small, so the system could only send short coded text messages at a very low data rate I can see why it was canceled. Perhaps there is another secret version somewhere in the USA.

Also the project was very controversial in the USA I doubt Chinas population will utter a peep about theirs.
Ours was attacked by politicians, antiwar and environmental groups worried about of high ground currents and electromagnetic fields on the environment and probably the population itself.

The size of it was supposed to be bigger than the new one built in China with a 6000 mile antenna of buried cables in a rectangular grid covering 22,500 square miles but was nerfed by the navy to 84 miles.

Also the scaled down system wasnt underground or designed to survive a nuclear attack.
Considering they shut it down there must be a better instalation somewhere I would guess. . .

I would guess that this system was not sending a secure message and enemies could also recieve the message or even decode it. Recently I was reading about quantum computers being able to send unhackable transmissions, and would guess this may be the new system if there is one would be a signifigant upgrade.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

You've taken a measure of area and used it to figure a simple measure of length.

The article states that the antenna occupies 1,400 sq. miles of land, not that it is 1,500 miles in length.

It says the antenna is twice the size of New York City. Which would be 1,500 miles.
So is it not twice the size of New York?
How big is the antenna then?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Probably need to make sure the air is as toxic as the ocean.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Good thread, going to borrow some of the information for a thread I'm working on.

Thanks Op

<<   2 >>

join