It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple and Amazon Believe Their Gay Customers Are Not Too Bright.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
December 30, 2018

This week, Apple removed an application from its online store, because it was designed to help teach gay people to stop being gay, if that is their goal.

A Christian group has had its app removed from Apple’s online store after a gay rights group objected to it.

“We thank Apple for exemplifying corporate responsibility and taking swift action to remove a dangerous app that stigmatizes and demeans LGBT people,” Truth Wins Out Executive Director Wayne Besen told NBC. “Ex-gay programs are consumer fraud and cause significant harm to the people they purport to help.”

The group had started an online petition to have the app banned. The petition drew 356 supporters.

“The app falsely portrays being gay as an ‘addiction’, ‘sickness’, and ‘sin,'” the Change.org petition read.

“The American Psychiatric Association warns that attempts to change one’s sexual orientation can lead to ‘anxiety, depression, and self-destructive behavior,’ including suicide. Why would Apple allow its online store to be used as a platform to promote such dangerous, homophobic garbage?” the petition asked.
Excerpted from: www.westernjournal.com...

Two weeks ago, this meager 356-signature petition caused Amazon to pull the "Ex-Gay" app from it's store. The pressure is now on Google to follow Amazon and Apple's lead, by removing the app from Google Play store.

Google Under Pressure: thinkprogress.org...

IMO, Apple and Amazon have a very low opinion of their Gay customer's intelligence, and ability to think for themselves. It's quite the insult for these companies to believe that Gay people can't decide for themselves to NOT DOWNLOAD and USE the Ex-Gay program.

-CareWeMust

edit on 12/30/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

So in short, feelings are being hurted, and someone's content is banned.

Please mark your score cards those of you playing at home.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Something "strange" about that app eh 😲

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Apple is depriving its customers of a product that's in demand. I've never understood the appeal of that company to so many people..including my wifey. They've treated customers like idiots for 20 years, yet they keep coming back.

Oh well..

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
In my opinion this was a stupid app in the fist place and as such I agree with it being removed. In my view it was removed because of the offence it causes rather that Amazon thinking it’s gay customers are stupid.

It’s their platform so it’s their rules.

I understand why they have done this

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
If some confused kid downloaded that app and killed themselves because of it, that would be bad. I see no reason for any app to exist solely to make a person feel like damaged goods.
edit on 12302018 by oriondc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I think that Apple's demeaning opinion is the same for all of its customer base. Probably the same for Amazon.

The clever ones must obviously not purchase Apple products or use Amazon.

edit on 30/12/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Prob go over like the app "Straight-out"

"It will help you end your straight marriage and become gay"

Dude, you should totally make that and see if it get's axed..lol

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If a gay person decides he does not want to be gay anymore, they should have access to help to transition back. So the gays don't think that they should be allowed to? I think that is typical liberal thinking, you are not allowed to change your mind unless it is in their direction.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Something "strange" about that app eh 😲

It's not "politically correct", but that's no excuse for not giving customers credit for having a brain.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
In my opinion this was a stupid app in the fist place and as such I agree with it being removed. In my view it was removed because of the offence it causes rather that Amazon thinking it’s gay customers are stupid.
It’s their platform so it’s their rules.

352 people felt as you do about the "Ex-gay" app. But I bet more than 352 global customers used it. Apple/Amazon are protecting gay people from themselves because 352 people complained.

And you're right about Amazon/Apple having the right to pull any app they don't like from their store, just as Twitter, Facebook, ATS has the right to ban any member from their social media platforms.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc
If some confused kid downloaded that app and killed themselves because of it, that would be bad. I see no reason for any app to exist solely to make a person feel like damaged goods.

I wonder if any "confused kids" have committed suicide because they couldn't win in the online competition games that are popular today?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I bet there's an "Ex-Hillary" app to help people forget her, lol.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If a gay person decides he does not want to be gay anymore, they should have access to help to transition back. So the gays don't think that they should be allowed to? I think that is typical liberal thinking, you are not allowed to change your mind unless it is in their direction.

Now that you mention it, taking away freedom of choice is somewhat immoral in itself, is it not?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
They believe their great customers are not too bright?

Hell, they believe that none of their customers are bright. Sad thing is, they're not far from wrong.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

What difference is it to someone if I want to download a app that you think is stupid? I don’t have a right to download because Apple and you are Authoritarians. I can’t deal with you ant-freedom people.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   
You can’t „untrain“ yourself of being gay, that’s a myth told by ultra-religious groups.

Just imagine a training for you to become gay - feels stupid for a heterosexual, right?
Same goes the other way around.

This kind of app is made to break people.
I appreciate the decision to stop offering it.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
You can’t „untrain“ yourself of being gay, that’s a myth told by ultra-religious groups.

Just imagine a training for you to become gay - feels stupid for a heterosexual, right?
Same goes the other way around.

This kind of app is made to break people.
I appreciate the decision to stop offering it.

All manner of training exists in the world.

Libtards for instance learn much of their nonsense by being trained.

And no proof actually exists that you cant untrain being gay.

ALL things are possible.

XL5

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I wonder how many fat people feel shame about fitness apps knowing they will never be buff or if people with an IQ of 70 get offended about IQ booster apps. Maybe all media should virtue signal by including ugly people so no one feels body shamed.

What about vegans freaking out over cooking app's that feature meat, since eating meat is a choice.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: XL5
What about vegans freaking out over cooking app's that feature meat, since eating meat is a choice.

Being attracted to the opposite sex is not a choice though. I'm attracted to blonde haired blue eyed women, it is not a choice it's just how I am, I can't change that.
The app sounds lame as # but pulling it from the store was equally lame...amusing story though.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join