It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seasonal UPS Workers Had Almost Entire Paychecks Handed Over To Union

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: justdust

Then, I was caught working by the right person. I was offered a job in management even before I had finished my degree.
I never looked back, got pension from both my hourly time and my years in management. Unions would be ok if they actually represented skilled workers and purged the deadwood from the ranks. But what I saw was anyone who can pay dues is all that union cared about.

They're a for profit organization. They don't care if you're efficient or carry your weight.

A company that rewards its good employees will never even hear talks of unionization.

Once it happens, it's a grind for anyone with ambition.

This is most situations IMO, I'm sure someone could give an example of how unions are still useful.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I remember a few years ago at the Philadelphia Car Show, union carpenters wanted the work to set up the displays and were denied. During the show they keyed and damaged dozens of cars on display.

You wonder why jobs went overseas...

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: justdust

Then, I was caught working by the right person. I was offered a job in management even before I had finished my degree.
I never looked back, got pension from both my hourly time and my years in management. Unions would be ok if they actually represented skilled workers and purged the deadwood from the ranks. But what I saw was anyone who can pay dues is all that union cared about.

They're a for profit organization. They don't care if you're efficient or carry your weight.

A company that rewards its good employees will never even hear talks of unionization.

Once it happens, it's a grind for anyone with ambition.

This is most situations IMO, I'm sure someone could give an example of how unions are still useful.

Yea, I will give you a few. Look how non-union corporate American workers that get MS, ALS, Alzheimer's... are treated,
and then look at workers afflicted with disease like that that are in unions.
I am not saying the unions are great, it is just that if you have a problem like this, you would thank your lucky stars that you are in a union.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Aallanon

unions.,... great pay, great, no killer, benefits, great representation when there is a problem..... small fee to pay to belong...
oh and some even add to your retirement through a pension plan.

Yeah, just be prepared to be blackballed if you can't afford to go on strike for a week.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

i was a temp employee once at a union shop. they treated me well. it was a good union with good members.
union dues were reasonable and explained to me before i signed any documents.

i have not worked in a union shop in almost 25 years. where i am now we don't need a union.
but i support my brothers and sisters out there trying to earn a living.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I don't see that happening to any of these temp workers though.

As I said in the first page though, I know there are situations unions can be needed.

But why a profiting entity to represent the working man?

Why not private unions with the head who is a worker too.

Edit: I work for a corporation now, non union, long term disability is paid by my employer.
edit on 31-12-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

My mom's family is Italian. Some of our family members were connected in minor ways to the mafia. Keep in mind this is upstate New York, so mainly gambling and victimless crimes.

Punching people in the dark?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

My mom's family is Italian. Some of our family members were connected in minor ways to the mafia. Keep in mind this is upstate New York, so mainly gambling and victimless crimes.

Punching people in the dark?

Long time no see Augustus, I hope your absence was holiday related and positive.

But..... That went completely over my head, perhaps you could help me out on that one lol.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

a reply to: SprocketUK

Unions were an important development for the coal days when they paid you in company currency you had to use at the company store (where they jacked up prices on living essentials).

But I'd say regulation and worker rights reform have made most instances of unions obsolete.

There are still companies that desperately could stand to be unionized. Most everything you hear about Amazon or Tesla suggests that they're a hideous place to work that abuses the hell out of their rank-and-file employees. But in companies that treat their employees well, unions tend to be parasites that do more harm than good. The auto industry is a perfect example. Excessive union demands drove both Chrysler and General Motors into bankruptcy: Worker compensation was so high that the companies were just barely profitable in good times, and lost tons of money in bad times. Both companies only survived due to government intervention that included major changes to employee compensation. (Ford only avoided the same fate because the UAW had to grant them the same concessions that were given to GM and Chrysler.)

In the end, it's a balance. To much unionization hurts both the workers and the company, but there are still companies out there that could really use a good union.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

That's why I put most in bold to highlight the fact there are still industries/companies I could understand the need.

However, something tells me Amazon specifically has special privileges or protections.

Too many stories I've read where employees get hurt and they try to settle out of paying for the injury with workmans comp.

Those are internet stories, so I can't speak to the validity of them, but I know that is a huge infraction on workers' rights.

I can tell you thought that they nickle and dime their sellers. The system works like this.

You can either sell and ship yourself, or ship all your inventory to Amazon and they do the fulfillment for you (for a price).

Either route you take, they pay you for your sales every two weeks. Depending on complaints and their nature, you have a certain amount that you can receive in a given time period before your account is suspended. Should it be suspended, they hold all your money (and inventory if you entrust them to the fuffilment) until your case is resolved. If for whatever reason it is not resolved, they keep all the money (and inventory unless you pay 50 cents and item + shipping).

My guess is they're in bed with the government and it will only get worse. They currently host the CIA cloud and are favored to win the Pentagon cloud bid.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
I'm pretty sure I know what those
special protections are: The Silicon Valley masters are major Democratic donors, and almost certainly they pay well to make sure the unions STFU and stay away.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I think it might have something to do with a back door to Alexa too.

There have been some cases solved via Alexa already, and we all know how hungry the NSA is for new channels of information.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Punching people in the dark is a victimless crime.

And my absence was bail-related.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Punching people in the dark is a victimless crime.

And my absence was bail-related.

The lawyer you have on retainer should refund you for taking so long.

You should also get this year's Mason dues refunded as well.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yeah, I think there's a bit of a difference between US and UK ones too.
He'll, even in the UK there's a spread from the do nothing unions to the dinosaur commie ones like mine

I loved it though, real brotherhood, some great times and even a yearly garden party to raise money for Cuban unionists! Good times all round
edit on 54pMon, 31 Dec 2018 11:47:54 -060020192018-12-31T11:47:54-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: subfab

but i support my brothers and sisters out there trying to earn a living.

Nothing wrong with that

<< 1  2   >>

join