It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seasonal UPS Workers Had Almost Entire Paychecks Handed Over To Union

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

LOL...
Welcome to the modern American Union.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

i joined a union at 14 and was a member of various unions throughout my working life some better than others a union is the cheapest insurance policy for job protection in the world but no way is this right to take the money of a part time worker like that they need suing and hard

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Wow, just wow.
I was a seasonal employee for UPS back in November of 2017 and the early months of 2018, and worked a good 30+ hours a week, and frankly, I made some good money.

Now, don't get me wrong, at least half of that money went to union dues, etc., but I felt like I walked away from my paychecks with more than $15?

Either or, it's messed up what happened to this lady and imo, she should be given her paycheck back to her, in full, with no union dues for that check.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Sheila assumed it was a mistake and the money would be refunded. In part, because Sheila, like other thousands of other seasonal part time UPS workers, signed an agreement to pay the $500 Teamsters union initiation fee in $32.00 weekly installments. But UPS told her it wasn’t a mistake. A spokesperson for UPS told the I-Team, “Local 25 reversed this long standing practice by rescinding this policy.”

For the new hires, that meant the balance of the union initiation fees and dues would be deducted in one lump sum. For Sheila, that was $490.00- nearly her entire week’s pay.

According to employment attorney Sol Cohen, it is possible the union may have violated federal regulations. “I would hope the union would take a look at this policy and reverse it and allow employees to go back on a regular payment plan,” he said.

UPS says the union reinstated the payment plan after it collected all of the fees and dues. Because of the pending NLRB cases, the Teamsters had no comment.

Wow.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I will look more in to this story. Sounds like BS, when I started union dues were not taken out until you were an official employee. The union does very good negotiations for ups employees, tuition reimbursement, pension, health insurance and job security being the main benefits. Try getting any of that working at Walmart or amazon, companies making tremendous profits yet unwilling to share profits with their employees. Compare UPS truck drivers pay and benefits with any other company and I'm sure you will find out ups employees recieve the best pay and benefits.
edit on 30-12-2018 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I agree that the fee shouldn't be taken out in one lump sum. The Teamsters are in the wrong here.

In a day and age where everyone is complaining about the one percent keeping all of the money, unions are needed now more than ever. The government mandates do not look out for the employee. They just make people feel like they are treated fairly. All this does is it tells a company that they have to do the bare minumum in order to comply with a labor law.

I have looked into relocating to different states. Each and every right to work state has way lower wages and benefits in the trades. Every single one. Say what you want about unions but the facts dont lie. Non union areas earn way less than union areas. Without unions there is no need for a company to pay competitive wages and benefits. This is why there is such a shortage of construction workers. Nobody wants to sacrifice life and limb and family time for a crap wage when you can work for a few dollars less at a different job.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

My son worked at UPS last Christmas. 80% of his pay went to the union and to the government for taxes. He worked his butt off. Never again he said.. and I don't blame him.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: subfab

Some places union membership is mandatory.

This case is theft.

Unions are garbage.

you may be correct about the theft. without seeing the contract she signed it's hard to say.

unions are not garbage. collectively employees have a voice where one person can be muted. a union is only as strong as its members.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: SprocketUK

Unions were an important development for the coal days when they paid you in company currency you had to use at the company store (where they jacked up prices on living essentials).

But I'd say regulation and worker rights reform have made most instances of unions obsolete.

And knowing this, they've turned to being super PACs.

"hey, we'll donate to your campaign if you put in a good word about us and our importance. Hell, we'll even incentivize our workers to vote for you. Alls ya gotta do is force us on companies and workers."

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

No wonder two of my deliveries were chucked into a ditch and only found 3 days after Christmas.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

unions.,... great pay, great, no killer, benefits, great representation when there is a problem..... small fee to pay to belong...
oh and some even add to your retirement through a pension plan.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I would lose my mind. If that wasn't explained to me I would steal my money from them.

If it was and I actually agreed to it, I would still make hell seem mild.

They better get their money. Thats all I know. Find it.

edit on 12 30 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
UPS is still better than Fed Ex they can't find my house that's been here since 1929. I have special handling instructions to NOT use FedEx. I contacted them and they said it was an invalid address and wouldn't even try to fix it.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
UPS is still better than Fed Ex they can't find my house that's been here since 1929. I have special handling instructions to NOT use FedEx. I contacted them and they said it was an invalid address and wouldn't even try to fix it.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I belonged to the teamsters union local 295 out of Kennedy Airport from 1977 until 1991 when I moved to Virginia.
I joined for a 150.00 fee and my dues were 35.00 a month and then were increased to 50.00 . I started at $12.00 an hour when my friends were making 5.80 minimum wage. I was making over $18.00 when I left.
I had full medical, full legal representation, Dental, eyeglasses and exams a pension plan and a severance plan for which I paid zero dollars out of my own pocket.
I get a pension from them now.
edit on 12302018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
On behalf of the workers they had an agreement that stated they were to pay weekly until the initiation fee was paid.
The union was breaking the contract they had agreed to is how this appears on the surface.
A court should be able to work it out but I believe this would be a case of arbitration.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

What does a union do to benefit a temp employee? other than steal their $$ in this case.

There was time when unions were crucial to employees not getting screwed in a number of ways. These days most are ineffective and do the screwing themselves..just another bloated bureaucracy.
I'm generalising, I'm sure there are exceptions.
edit on 30-12-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker Back when I was working my way up the ladder, I started out in a union as an hourly person. I was a good worker and my management knew it. I soon realized that, that I was a good worker would mean nothing to the union. Just like you said. It is all seniority, and the union spends 90% of their time defending people who mostly skated. As I got more training and education I got advanced, but even the other women I worked with thought it was because I was sleeping around. They knew nothing about my college courses or my work on weekends as a naval reservist.

Then, I was caught working by the right person. I was offered a job in management even before I had finished my degree.
I never looked back, got pension from both my hourly time and my years in management. Unions would be ok if they actually represented skilled workers and purged the deadwood from the ranks. But what I saw was anyone who can pay dues is all that union cared about.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I retired Union. Had guaranteed wages, paid benefits, paid vacation, sick time, 401k..did well for 20+ years....

Somewhere, things changed you're right. I was local president a couple years, steward in hospital environment...even Chaplin for one.

Things began to change when it was determined one can't be FORCED to join a union...but...there are still all union shops like Ford Motor Company here in Dearborn.

I have been in 3 in my life:

American Federation of Musicans, Local 5, Detroit-50 years
AFSCME, American Federal, State, County and Municiple Employees, Local 1483, Ann Arbor-20 years
PPAN, Local 119, Plant Protection Assoc. of America.-7 years

Once all the above guarantees were worth it. Not any more.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I worked for a UPS competitor and got paid more, better and more expansive benefits and promoted faster.... Without fees.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join