It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another glimpse of my latest paintings.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Here is the latest of my acrylic on canvas paintings. With all the political vitriol from all sides here on ATS, I wanted to post something positive and totally apolitical.

Link to Full Size Image.

As always, constructive artistic criticisms are always welcome.

edit on 12/29/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The Heraldic Clouds ... Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

The Storm is coming, the storm is coming. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Shows a toxic oil spill ... Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Lol.

Nice painting. I like it!

I like paintings because it is a skill I have never had. I can draw stick people. I could do a great stick drawing of Pelosi.

Try a night sky painting, there are not many of those around. If you can work with a single hair, you could add Star Ships as little easter eggs for people to find.

Nice mate ... keep up the great work.

P

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Try a night sky painting, there are not many of those around.

Like this one?

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Oh, lovely. So peaceful. Love nature scenes. Thanks for a political free post. Where is this?

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Wow, nice works. I really really like the second one.

I think artistic ability can be (roughly) described as either predominately "talent" or "skill". (Talent being a natural ability, skill being cultivated.)

If you don't mind my asking, would you consider yourself to be more talented or more skilled? I watercolor for fun and am definitely neither talented nor skilled at it, but I do other creative work and mostly consider myself to fall under "skilled".

I ask because I like hearing different perspectives on artistic development.

Either way, I enjoy your paintings. Those are the types of works I would hang in my studio and gaze at. Thanks for sharing.
edit on 29/12/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Should throw a bigfoot or dogman in there and then would be perfect.

In all seriousness, very nice work. My wife and daughter both paint and I don't understand how it's possible to do this.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

It is of course, personal taste as to what one likes in paintings and what one doesn't like, which is why so many different artists can all ave a go!

I was thinking of paintings where the night sky is the feature ....

That painting is by Sharon Cummings.

P

edit on 29/12/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Here is the latest of my acrylic on canvas paintings. With all the political vitriol from all sides here on ATS, I wanted to post something positive and totally apolitical.

Link to Full Size Image.

Although it has a naive style, there is something impressionist about the color and light. There is a peace about it.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

It is of course, personal taste as to what one likes in paintings and what one doesn't like, which is why so many different artists can all ave a go!

I was thinking of paintings where the night sky is the feature ....

That painting is by Sharon Cummings.

P

Spectacular juxtaposition of images.

Really like it.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Link to Full Size Image.

Although it has a naive style, there is something impressionist about the color and light. There is a peace about it.

Thank you.

Naive style, yes, I agree. I am not a professional, nor have I been painting very long. I've rediscovered my muse only recently, within the past few months only.

But, I am progressing, slowly, and always challenging myself to try something more difficult and pushing the edge of my comfort zone (which includes posting them here for open criticisms).

edit on 12/30/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Link to Full Size Image.

Thank you.

Naive style, yes, I agree. I am not a professional, nor have I been painting very long. I've rediscovered my muse only recently, within the past few months only.

But, I am progressing, slowly, and always challenging myself to try something more difficult and pushing the edge of my comfort zone (which includes posting them here for open criticisms).

Never worry abut the style. Capture the heart, the feel. Don't ever loose that and get 'clever'.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I prefer your depiction of the night sky to the one by Sharon Cummings, though they are both great. For me art is about depicting the feel of something it should reflect the artists own imagination more than photograph like precision. That’s what makes it truly original and thought provoking.

Keep it up

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yours

Reminds me a lot of Hans Meyer-Kassel
German painter
Born: March 8, 1872, Kassel, Germany
Died: August 30, 1952, Genoa, NV

The paintings of Hans Meyer-Kassel (1872-1952) have hung in the castles of kings and the homes of presidents. Still today, decades after his death, his artwork can be found in state capitols, university campuses, historical societies, court houses, government buildings and museums across the United States and Europe.

www.nevadaart.org...

edit on 30-12-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

If you don't mind my asking, would you consider yourself to be more talented or more skilled? I watercolor for fun and am definitely neither talented nor skilled at it, but I do other creative work and mostly consider myself to fall under "skilled".

I ask because I like hearing different perspectives on artistic development.

Either way, I enjoy your paintings. Those are the types of works I would hang in my studio and gaze at. Thanks for sharing.

At the risk of sounding immodest, it's more a case of talent I guess you would say. I have never had any formal art classes or training. More of learning to sketch as a child from an old Saturday morning TV show here in the U.S. called "Cap't Bob". He did 30 minute "classes" for children teaching the basics of sketching and drawing at about 6:00 am in the morning.

Beyond that was just drawing and standard art classes in grade school here. Nothing professional or advanced at all. I did excel in photography over the years though....and many of the same concepts transfer to the canvas. The rule of thirds, conceptualization, controlling depth of field, the zone system, etc...

Now it's YouTube videos that I learn little tips and tricks for painting that do not relate to photography.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
* Removed by me as a duplication of the above post. *

edit on 12/30/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

All unseemly flattery aside, I don't think there's one subject on which you can't articulate yourself better than me. (This includes art criticism.)

I find your response about Krakatoa's "naive" style curious because I've never heard it used in a context outside condescension, yet I am sure that you are not insulting Krakatoa.

Will you please expand on this?

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It is beautiful! The colors are subtle and gentle and I love it!

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

All unseemly flattery aside, I don't think there's one subject on which you can't articulate yourself better than me. (This includes art criticism.)

I find your response about Krakatoa's "naive" style curious because I've never heard it used in a context outside condescension, yet I am sure that you are not insulting Krakatoa.

If I may respond as to my interpretation. The word "naive", in itself, is not condescending. It is descriptive in this context. And correct IMO. Yes, it is naive since I do not have the knowledge nor experience a professional artist might have when displaying their art. To me, that is constructive criticism, that implies that by continuing to strive to be better, and not quitting, will lead to less naive painting skills. The naive was directed at the skills, not the inherent talent I may have.

Now, I may be wrong, but, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to others first and foremost. I prefer the positive interpretation, unless proven to be derogatory and negative as the conversation evolves.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Naive art is a recognized genre, I think it often 'speaks' louder than a lot of dusty 'old masters'.

Probably the master of it was Rousseau and one of my favorites of his is the Sleeping Gypsy:

I'm more of a musician than a graphical artist and so I'll relate it to music. There are dumb three chord repetitive songs that despite their lack of technical sophistication, twist your heart in ways that no classical work can approach. They are naive but raw and real.

... and thanks for the compliment.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I'm more musical myself, so your analogy works well.

I had something of an existential dilemma relating to Western harmonic convention. My ear is naturally sensitive and our compromised thirds and sixths (breathtakingly beautiful as pure, "beatless" sonorities) all but turned me away from music, for a time.

Instead of quitting music, I came to interpret it as a spiritual teaching: in this plane of existence, we are not allowed perfection. (Or, at least not without rendering one's efforts, ironically, facile.) Speaking solely from my own experience, attempting to circumvent this basic truth leads to isolation, misery, and madness.

ETA -- Which is all to say "long live the three-chord trick!".
edit on 30/12/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join