It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 countries forge trade pact without us.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Looks like the orange magat screwed us once again. Of course we have to accept that the average tRump sycophant will see higher tariffs and less trade as a good thing, the rest of us will pay more. All of those tariff free markets that could have been opened up for our goods are now essentially closed. I have to ask, are you tired of winning yet America?

www.cnn.com...

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Good
Now they have to buy all their stuff from the US at prime rate...

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
it doesn't say much about the agreement. does it for instance have anything to enforce fair trade? ie fair trade practices so that one country does not have significant trade imbalances with others. so that trade is equal and some countries do not suffer from importing massive amount of goods from one country, while that country hardly imports anything from the other. which is the biggest issue with China, but also has issues with other countries as well for the US.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

You're so sad, having to use little cute things like "magat". Just proves those on the left are little children.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I thought you leftists were against corporations?

Julian Assange, WikiLeaks editor said: “The TPP has developed in secret an unaccountable supranational court for multinationals to sue states. This system is a challenge to parliamentary and judicial sovereignty. Similar tribunals have already been shown to chill the adoption of sane environmental protection, public health and public transport policies.”.

Or did you forget what a complete joke the TPP is?

Leaked TPP Document Reveals Plan To Create Corporate World Court

Wikileaks reports: “The Investment Chapter highlights the intent of the TPP negotiating parties, led by the United States, to increase the power of global corporations by creating a supra-national court, or tribunal, where foreign firms can “sue” states and obtain taxpayer compensation for “expected future profits”. These investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) tribunals are designed to overrule the national court systems. ISDS tribunals introduce a mechanism by which multinational corporations can force governments to pay compensation if the tribunal states that a country’s laws or policies affect the company’s claimed future profits. In return, states hope that multinationals will invest more.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

If it is hurting you, then it is helping all the good people.

That is what is important and relevant.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Just more globalist propaganda from CNN whining about Trump and exalting the

"new Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership"

Still butt hurt Obama is no longer president and Hillary lost.

It's the opposite of what the Obama administration planned when it began negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership, known as TPP.

All quotes from CNN link in OP.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Now they have to buy all their stuff from the US at prime rate

Or perhaps just not buy them at all.

That means that Welch's grape juice, Tyson's pork and California almonds will remain subject to tariffs in Japan, for example, while competitors' products from countries participating in the new Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership will eventually be duty-free

What does America export that can't be sourced elsewhere ? ... other than weapons of course.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Your petulant, moronic tirade aside, I find this quote very interesting:

"They're trying to say, 'We're moving forward and we hope you come to your senses at some point and join us, too'," said Phil Levy, a senior fellow at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs who served as a senior economist for trade under President George W. Bush

Yea, I'm ok with it to say the least.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

We are the top exporters of corn and grain, among others, but that wasn't your question.

America is the top consumer. That is the deal maker/breaker.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

What does America export that can't be sourced elsewhere ?

How about products not manufactured with child labor and slave wages?

Anything in this agreement about that?

I don't care how cheap or trendy or whatever something is if labor standards were not up to par. We don't need those goods.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I don't care how cheap or trendy or whatever something is if labor standards were not up to par. We don't need those goods.

It isn't about you needing those goods it's about your industry needing those markets , trade within those markets will move to tariff free trade whereas goods from outside the CPTPP will be subject to tariffs putting those goods at a disadvantage.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Sounds like a type of monopoly to me, do we not frown upon those?

More than half the expensive high-end goods we purchase are all built in the likes of China or Germany anyway, so good luck with that ""prime rate"".

Nothing America produces that cannot be had for a whole lot less from other places around the globe.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Ahhhh... so as long as "your industry" is making big bucks, it's all good... even if it's on the backs of children. We don't need to worry about no stinking fair trade practices. Just that almighty dollar.

Gotcha.

Not to say that Trump gave a rats patootie either that the Asian Pacific nations are at the top of the list for child labor abuses. But I'm certainly not going to whine and cry about losing any such markets either.

Especially not for cheap political points cuz orange man is bad.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Accept in the past child labor has indeed be utilized by both our respective nations, less than around 100 years ago.

As to "slave wages" well anything other than a wage that's in line with the cost of living amounts to a slave wage. Don't know what it's like all over the U.S but here in the U.K most people are paid or exist on less than they require, certainly, our wages are in no way in line with inflation.

We are all indentured servants of a sorts unless you are a 1%er or the like.
edit on 29-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Accept in the past child labor has indeed be utilized by both our respective nations, less than around 100 years ago.

I'm not sure if you meant "accept" -- as in that I accept that child labor has been and is a fact -- or "except" -- as in the I should understand the exception, which I do not and refuse to do. Rather, I will point out that we as a nation made a decision to make such nations exceptions to our free trade. Because there is nothing "free" about slave labor.

You can rationalize and excuse and justify such abuse any way you choose. I will not.

As to "slave wages" well anything other than a wage that's in line with the cost of living amounts to a slave wage. Don't know what it's like all over the US but here in the U.K most people are paid or exist on less than they require, certainly, our wages are in no way in line with inflation.

And you seem to have accepted such a state of affairs as fair and reasonable, or at least inevitable. I do not and will not. We made such exceptions in the past and we can -- and must -- do so again.

We are all indentured servants of a sorts unless you are a 1%er or the like.

Your point is well taken. But I'm not a good little corporate serf.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Ahhhh... so as long as "your industry" is making big bucks, it's all good... even if it's on the backs of children. We don't need to worry about no stinking fair trade practices. Just that almighty dollar.
Gotcha.

No , we should care about workers rights and child labour and if it's found they're being abused we should work with our partners to stop it.

Not to say that Trump gave a rats patootie either that the Asian Pacific nations are at the top of the list for child labor abuses. But I'm certainly not going to whine and cry about losing any such markets either.

Perhaps not today but likely tomorrow .
Signatories...
Australia
Brunei
Canada
Chile
Japan
Malaysia
Mexico
New Zealand
Peru
Singapore
Vietnam
en.wikipedia.org...

Pretty sure your industry would take a different view to yours.

edit on 29-12-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'm not exactly an upstanding member our the community myself, nor corporate serf, in any kind of way shape or form.

The point is we are all getting shafted by the rich. Money transcends borders more than passports ever will, that's a given.

It's not the ""other nations"" that's the problem but the bankers and corporations, both of which are somewhat above the arcane concept of simple nations.

edit on 29-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

No , we should care about workers rights and child labour and if it's found we should work with our partners to stop it.

Hmmm... like making worker rights and banning child labor a strict non-negotiable condition of trade??? As in specifically stipulating such in any trade agreement between nations? You mean like that???

Because anything less is just lip service.

Pretty sure your industry would take a different view to yours.

Not "my" industry... but regardless, so what? I have a mind to think and reason. I have a conscience to judge my thoughts and deeds and the deeds of others. I understand that corporations are fictional entities made up out of whole cloth and granted privileges and entitlements by government with little to no regard for the best interests of "we the people" to enrich the few at the expense of the many. Including the sweat, blood and tears of children.

It is unconscionable, unacceptable and inexcusable. Period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join