It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You make $400k but can't spend $500... wtf?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'd rather see that money spent on our infrastructure. Apparently we have water pipes made with lead, and bridges that could fail any time.

What's up with that chain saw? Planning on destroying something?

: P

So you're okay with the government spending 135 billion you hate the idea of spending 5 billion that might even lower the 135 billion we're already spending.
You want to spend more on infrastructure?

What happened to the 1 trillion Obama "spent" on infrastructure?

I thought everything was all fixed!

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The willfully blind and ignorant are deliberately stupid.

Also easily herded to rally behind and support virtually any cause, no matter how ridiculously stupid it might be.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

In short, I prefer to do what's best for our country, and not what simply feeds a narcissistic ego.

edit on 12/30/2018 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

In short, I prefer to do what's best for our country, and not what simply suits a narcissistic ego.

So if increased and enhanced border security including barriers on our southern border is best for our country you'll support it?

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

In short, I prefer to do what's best for our country, and not what simply feeds a narcissistic ego.

Same here.

But I don't use the "Orange Man Bad" method of determination.

I use math.

Spending 135 billion a year on illegals is bad.

Spending 5 billion in the hopes of decreasing the 135 billion is good.

It might even save money for infrastructure.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

maybe we could try punishing those that hire them. oh wait..

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a new investigation by the state of New Jersey and the FBI. employees at trump's Bedminster golf club were supplied with fake green cards and forged papers... it's being investigated.

oh boy..

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

maybe we could try punishing those that hire them. oh wait..

I wonder how that would go over in Sanctuary cities/states?

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I just figured I'd share this little tidbit for some people to think about when it comes to the government shut down and wall.

One of the reasons I think people don't get more upset with politicians and spending is that the numbers often being thrown around are too big for the average person to comprehend. As a result, they have no context or ability to relate.

The 2018 federal budget is $4 trillion dollars. Basically, $4,000,000,000,000. Donald Trump is asking for $5 billion dollars to fund the wall. Now $5 billion dollars is a lot of money for an individual. That is Lannister sh*tting gold rich for GOT fans. However, in the context of the US government spending $4 trillion, it really isn't a lot of money for a major capital project like securing the border.

Let me put it in terms that the average middle American can understand. A household budget.

Let's knock off a few zeros. If we divide by $4 trillion by $10 million, that leaves us with a household budget of $400,000. This is still a lot of money for an individual or a household. In fact, that is basically 1% income money in the US. If you carry that divisor of $10 million over to the $5 billion for the wall it becomes...... $500.

In other words, if the US government was a household that made $400,000, the husband and wife are bickering over whether the husband can spend $500 on a home security system. Hubbie is sleeping on the couch and not getting any loving because the wife is mad he wants to spend $500 on a SimpliSafe.

Let that sink in. So the federal government is essentially shut down over what amounts to a $500 expenditure for someone who makes $400,000 a year... Since some of you can't relate to making $400k/yr if you remove one zero, it is like someone who makes $40,000 a year not being able to spend $50.

If Republicans put this out in these terms so everyone could understand, I don't see how the Democrats can stand with a straight face justifying not giving DJT his wall funding.

Flame away...

Spot on! But how dare you use scale to understand a problem! Shame on you!

It’s kind of like the tariffs or “trade war” (which it isn’t... yet). The US economy is ~$20 trillion dollars in 2018. Tariffs are a few hundred billion. One can do the math there and realize that the tariffs or “trade war” is nothing more than a political football being tossed about with big numbers attached to it to push an agenda.

Scale everything, people!

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The gov shutdown is a form of protest by the dems because they want to be like Europe with open borders which in turn has proven to be an increase in crime rate. Sexual/violent crimes in particular. When those crimes happen people actually want a reform of law. One focused on security. Its almost like what led up to the patriot act. There was terrorism so laws were introduced to take away our sovereign rights. There will always be a threat to worry the populace so that the lawmakers can disguise a law stating “for your protection” which turns out to be a law taking away our freedoms. People on the left may not be able to protect themselves.... but those of us on the right or like me are center to hard right leaning have enough real world knowlesge and grew up in environments where we dont need big brother watching over us. We can not only protect our selves, our family, our friends, but we can also protect our country. We dont need our rights to defend our selves taken from us in the name of global freedom. They want open borders to present a new threat. They want to allow a sort of guerilla warfare, through gang violence, by having open borders. It will be a version of vietnam all over again where the typical suburban families dont know how to combat this threat of gangs. There will be many casualties. It will be like Iraq. You dont know who to trust. I served two deployments to Iraq. As an Imfantryman. Ive seen and experienced things i wouldnt wish upon my worst enemies.... but i feel democrats are bring that same exact reign of hell upon us in our homeland. It needs to be stopped.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Wait, how do Americans lose if the wall gets built? Is that not more american jobs? Will it not at least do *something* to slow illegal immigration? will it not at least make the job of ICE easier?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: PhatalError

The funny thing is, while the EU is open borders, they do have walls on most of their borders.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Shouldn't you be praising him for hiring those downtrodden illegals? Or are they supposed to steal an SS number and get benefits? I can't keep it straight.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

What are we losing illegal immigration is at a 10 year low?

www.pewresearch.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join