It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, we can yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Propagandalf

So after all of this then.....

You now understand why you can't just yell fire in a theatre and not face punishment as a result of your words.

Next time just take it on the chin and move on to the next debate. Honestly Les, you're a smart guy and you do write some decent stuff I think but this has not been your finest moment all because you lack the humility to admit to not being the smartest guy in the room (also not me, hint its not even a guy).

You have refused to respond to any argument I made, resorted to ad hom and a variety of other fallacies.

Take it on the chin, pal. See ya.
edit on 28-12-2018 by Propagandalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yes I've been watching, IAMTAT is very upstanding as well. i'm proud to be part of a community of upstanding guys here to keep it balanced.

Thank you for your Greetings OtherSide.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility and in a civil society I believe that there is inevitably going to have to be some sensible laws in place to step in when members of society refuse to adhere to that responsibility. Absolute true freedom of speech is a lie you do not have the right to verbalise anything you want and not face some kind of criminal punishment.

These kind of laws are essential to the smooth and safe running of a civilised society.

No doubt.

Good thing the Nazi's kept the German citizenry, the Soviets kept the Russian citizenry, and Mao kept the Chinese citizenry, all "safe" from dissenters and the not so "smooth" social effects of them rocking the boat.

No wonder the SJW Horde has adopted the social engineering handbooks from each of those dystopia's (along with 1984 to complete the quadfecta) in their early 21st Century bid for global ideological domination.

edit on 28-12-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

originally posted by: ScepticScot

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Are you willing to say that the persecution of Asia Bibi, sentenced to death for blasphemy, is her fault, the consequence of her words?

Are you willing to stop deflecting and changing the topic.

As I have said to you I believe it is wrong for anyone to be sentenced to death for blasphemy or face any kind of punishment for blasphemy.

Now do you understand yet that as a direct result of your words you could face punishment and as a result you do not have absolute freedom of speech?

I'm not changing the topic. I'm just asking why you think Asia Bibi's persecution, her being sentenced to death for blasphemy, is her fault, and not the fault of cruel and outmoded and censorial laws, and the censors who enforce them.

Please explain what you meant by this then?

My opponent believes any punishment I receive is a direct result of my speech. I used Asia Bibi's case as an analogy.

No he hasn't said that at all.

Are you deliberately lying or do you really not comprehend what Other has written?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

You now understand why you can't just yell fire in a theatre and not face punishment as a result of your words.

Next time just take it on the chin and move on to the next debate. Honestly Les, you're a smart guy and you do write some decent stuff I think but this has not been your finest moment all because you lack the humility to admit to not being the smartest guy in the room (also not me, hint its not even a guy).

You have refused to respond to any argument I made, resorted to ad hom and a variety of other fallacies.

Pot meet kettle, kettle is a nice guy but makes a lot of strawman arguments once he has lost the debate then likes to pretend that he's feel victim to some adhom attacks while claiming everyone is angry. Don't worry eventually kettle goes to bed and sleeps it off.

....just don't expect him to ever admit to having been wrong.
edit on 28-12-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility and in a civil society I believe that there is inevitably going to have to be some sensible laws in place to step in when members of society refuse to adhere to that responsibility. Absolute true freedom of speech is a lie you do not have the right to verbalise anything you want and not face some kind of criminal punishment.

These kind of laws are essential to the smooth and safe running of a civilised society.

No doubt.

Good thing the Nazi's kept the German citizenry, the Soviets kept the Russian citizenry, and Mao kept the Chinese citizenry, all "safe" from dissenters and the not so "smooth" social effects of them rocking the boat.

No wonder the SJW Horde has adopted the social engineering handbooks from each of those dystopia's (along with 1984) in the bid for global ideological domination.

Yeah, what tripe. You know soon after any argument for "smooth and safe" society come the argument for restricting freedoms and civil liberties. Then come the gulags.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Pot meet kettle, kettle is a nice guy but makes a lot of strawman arguments once he has lost the debate then likes to pretend that he's feel victim to some adhom attacks while claiming everyone is angry. Don't worry eventually kettle goes to bed and sleeps it off.

No need to get angry. You could just debate my arguments. Failing that, take it on the chin.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

hmmm....

So you don't think we should have laws that stop peado-pete speaking to little girls about how nice his collection of bunny rabbits is because....freedom of speech?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

No one is attempting to silence you. You sound stupid by your argument. It's not censors that can lead you to trouble, but your own words. A censor prevents someone from actually saying or printing something. You have free speech to say anything and you are not prevented from speaking, but if your words create a danger then your choice of words are what gets you into trouble, you already spoke the words, unfortunately no one taped your mouth shut, which would have prevented you from speaking anything. Too bad the censor didnt duct tape your hands thus preventing the stupid premise of your thread.

link   

hmmm....

So you don't think we should have laws that stop peado-pete speaking to little girls about how nice his collection of bunny rabbits is because....freedom of speech?

Are your responses the direct result of my words? I'm glad I have this new found power.

link   

No need to get angry. You could just debate my arguments. Failing that, take it on the chin.

What is there to debate this thread is basically you saying humans make noise with their mouths so freedom of speech....

There is no argument hear just you pretending that you can say whatever you want without consequences.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

No one is attempting to silence you. You sound stupid by your argument. It's not censors that can lead you to trouble, but your own words. A censor prevents someone from actually saying or printing something. You have free speech to say anything and you are not prevented from speaking, but if your words create a danger then your choice of words are what gets you into trouble, you already spoke the words, unfortunately no one taped your mouth shut, which would have prevented you from speaking anything. Too bad the censor didnt duct tape your hands thus preventing the stupid premise of your thread.

This must be the most nonsensical, unintelligible string of words I've read in a while. That's a feat considering your competition.

I wouldn't have to refute the argument that I cannot say fire in a crowded theater if censors such as yourself didn't keep trotting it out every time an argument over free speech arises.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

hmmm....

A former* member of this site made the argument that online grooming by peadophiles shouldn't illegal.

* As former as anyone is online.

link   

This must be the most nonsensical, unintelligible string of words I've read in a while.

Did you just read over your OP again.

BOOOM!!!!.....am hear all night kids!

link   

What is there to debate this thread is basically you saying humans make noise with their mouths so freedom of speech....

There is no argument hear just you pretending that you can say whatever you want without consequences.

Straw man, again. Again, any consequence is the result of the laws and the censors who enforce them, not my words. Proof of that is I can say the same thing in your country, get punished for it, and the same thing in the US, get defended for it.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

This must be the most nonsensical, unintelligible string of words I've read in a while.

Your spelling isn't doing you any favors.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Just like your arguments aren't doing many for you!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

and neither are your arguments!

The arguments you've refused to respond to. Now I get to watch you slither and sulk away again as you avoid them.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Only if you are an Actor on the Stage .

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Only if you are an Actor on the Stage .

The standard is "immanent lawless action". In other words, any call for violence or law-breaking is protected unless it is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action. I'm not sure if panic is lawless action considering that panic is quite lawful.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join