It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

it sucks realizing movies you used to think were awesome are actually lame

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Honestly 90% of the time if I'm watching TV it's on TCM or G.R.I.T, I tend to find more relative realism in older movies than ones of today. I find the writing of the older movies tend to have more simplistic truths wrapped in eloquent speak which tends to carry through time better.

Movies you're talking about most were meant to be a gimmick of the time and the reason it holds some reverance to people is because it takes them back to that time in their life, if they can equate a positive experience from that time it ignites a type of youth in a person. Yutes dont often understand sarcasm so movies are meant to be spelled out which inevitably leads to cornyness. Meaning those movies stood out because that was the attempt, they were entertaining our ignorance. We often want to trek back into our youth, due to the fact we hide the ails of the world to kids the best we can. It's a more simplistic time and less burdensome for most.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead
Yutes dont often understand

yutes?

my cousin vinny!

100%

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

And sometimes like in the case of that movie somebody can so nail the part they make the inconceivable believable. Cheesy storyline, bad writing, but he so killed his part that that it cant be bad.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
If you want to see an amazing old movie, Barry Lyndon. It's a guy movie, from before such things existed.

www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/31/barry-lyndon-review-stanley-kubrick

www.theguardian.com...

I don't even like oldies or historic settings. This movie rocks.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
I still love the old horror movies. The worse they are, the better they are. I used to imagine myself chasing the monster with a torch and a pitchfork. The old Hammer films are great, too.

It's the more modern ones that don't hold up. Some of them were made because they had just one new special effect and no effort was put into the storyline or acting at all. I think most directing has gotten too technical today and lacks the style that the older films had.

I am a real sucker for cheesy horror movies, the lower the budget the better.

Attack of the killer tomatoes? I'm in.

The Evil Dead series with Bruce Campbell? Still watch them.

My favorite two are Dead Alive and Bad Taste... both by Peter Jackson, who would eventually direct the Lord of The Rings.

edit on 28-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: TheLead
Yutes dont often understand

yutes?

my cousin vinny!

100%

What the F#$@ is that?...

A great film to rewatch.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

meh - for true cringeworthy horror - one has to attempt to watch 1970s brittish TV - sitcoms and " comedy "

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
'Lifeforce'

at the time I was enthralled (yes, that's a word)

now it puts me to sleep.
should be reduced to about an hour.

(Patrick Stewart plays a pre-Picard something-or-other)

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: toms54
I still love the old horror movies. The worse they are, the better they are. I used to imagine myself chasing the monster with a torch and a pitchfork. The old Hammer films are great, too.

It's the more modern ones that don't hold up. Some of them were made because they had just one new special effect and no effort was put into the storyline or acting at all. I think most directing has gotten too technical today and lacks the style that the older films had.

I am a real sucker for cheesy horror movies, the lower the budget the better.

Attack of the killer tomatoes? I'm in.

The Evil Dead series with Bruce Campbell? Still watch them.

My favorite two are Dead Alive and Bad Taste... both by Peter Jackson, who would eventually direct the Lord of The Rings.

I think I've seen Dead Alive but now I need to watch it again. As for Bad Taste, will download it today.

Thanks for the tip.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

If you like those, you gotta check out, 'FrankenHooker'.
Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

FrankenHooker

Priceless but not for everybody. My wife hates it.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Flash Gordon - I suppose these days one could say it's so bad it's actually good, and it does have the groovy Queen soundtrack.

But in primary school I really thought it was excellent, and I watched it at my buddy's house every Friday.

I was really excited to see it again more recently, but it went from a memorable "excellent" to a current "excrement".

I recall my dad used to love a Bop Hope movie titled The Princess and the Pirate.

He used to laugh uproariously at it in the 1980's.
I got him the DVD about three years ago, and he didn't laugh once - he gave it away.
I on the other hand, although I wasn't exactly in stitches, thought it was better than I recalled.
edit on 29-12-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real
a reply to: Lumenari

If you like those, you gotta check out, 'FrankenHooker'.
Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like.

A medical student sets out to recreate his decapitated fiancée by building her a new body made of Manhattan street prostitutes.

IMDB

OK.. I am so in on this one... LOL

Thank you for the tip!

erm... that just sounded wrong considering the subject...

edit on 29-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I just rewatched Tombstone before taking the wife to visit the town of Tombstone and it holds up spectacularly and is still awesome!

Too bad many others movies don't, I just watched Lone Wolf McQuade, the Chuck Norris Texas Ranger epic from the 80s and even though I love parts of it, most doesn't hold up well. I suspect much of his 80s stuff won't either.

First Blood, however as previous posted holds up extremely well because it was well done and the original book was quite great as well.

Aliens and Predator both hold up very well also.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic

Loved First Bkood then, it's stil fantastic now.

As someone pointed out, if you grow up with something and enjoy it then, there is more chance you still will now, but if you try convince somebody who didn't, or was not around when it came out, they wont have that bond and likely will think it is junk. A film can be technically bad, but still a great film for you.

But there are a lot that I really loved, same with tb shows that I juat dont gwt now, I think it is an ahe thing, we change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join