It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery of hole in capsule docked at ISS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

A Russian cosmonaut who explored a mysterious hole in a capsule docked at the International Space Station has said the opening was drilled from inside the spacecraft. Sergei Prokopyev said investigators are looking at samples he and crewmate Oleg Kononenko collected during a December 12 spacewalk as Russian law enforcement agencies examine what caused it. Prokopyev and two other astronauts returned to Earth last week from a 197-day space station mission.

Mystery of hole in capsule docked at ISS

The hole was drilled from inside the spacecraft according to the Russian cosmonaut who did the space walk to inspect the outside of the ISS. If true this does not prove sabotage, it could of just been good old human error.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Ants. They can chew through anything.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Dude don’t even get me started on ants......

To the OP though why don’t they just send it back and let it burn up and wait to see if it happens again?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

It was leaking air pressure out of the ISS. This got reported in the news, so I guess it was too late then to set up a sting. Plus I don't think anyone really thinks it was done on purpose.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
#FakeHole

And we all know the Russians are to blame!

Weird that it came from the inside. My thoughts: probably happened pre-launch and was somehow plugged (bubble gum???) until the vacuum of space won the tug o' war. Someone on the ground doing a massive CYA.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Agreed. Human error, human nature and Murphy's law are the cause behind many cascading disasters. Glad they caught this one before it caused a disaster.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Weird that it came from the inside. My thoughts: probably happened pre-launch and was somehow plugged (bubble gum???) until the vacuum of space won the tug o' war. Someone on the ground doing a massive CYA.

This is almost unthinkable, as every square micrometer is inspected visually/radioscopically/x-ray and whatever else that can check it with. The odds of something as egregious as this drill-hole making it past inspection before launch is near zero. Occam suggest it likely happened after the station was in orbit.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

This is almost unthinkable, as every square micrometer is inspected visually/radioscopically/x-ray and whatever else that can check it with.
Source?

Occam suggest it likely happened after the station was in orbit.
The ISS was assembled in orbit, over a period of a decade. But you know that the hole is not in the ISS itself, right? It's in a Soyuz capsule which is docked with the station.

edit on 12/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Most likely it's done by accident. I mean, on a small scale, how many people have messed up trying to hang something from their wall. Blunders happen, even if they are not noticed at the time.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

This is almost unthinkable, as every square micrometer is inspected visually/radioscopically/x-ray and whatever else that can check it with.
Source?

Occam suggest it likely happened after the station was in orbit.
The ISS was assembled in orbit, over a period of a decade. But you know that the hole is not in the ISS itself, right? It's in a Soyuz capsule which is docked with the station.

Oh man, lets see it was a program on TV that went into how the modules for the ISS were made. Let me see if I can track it down.

I didn't realize it was the Soyuz capsule, I thought it was another element.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Note the title of this thread.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Fair enough, I parsed it as one of the attached modules instead of capsule.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Wet blanket.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Good to see Phage hasn't changed.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Space ants.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Looks small enough, plug it with a pop rivet & some silicon.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: rickymouse

Space ants.

Ant-imatter

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Looks small enough, plug it with a pop rivet & some silicon.

They used epoxy and gauze.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Antmusic

top topics

join