It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what should Trump do about the shutdown?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: GeechQuestInfo

a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

You and all your leftist ilk are afraid that the wall would be effective.

It's not about money. Haven't seen you or anyone else on the left get upset over the 135 billion spent every year on illegals.

Leftest ilk? Get out much?

Nobody wants the wall except for a vocal minority. It's not happening. No biggie, just get the votes and get the damn thing. Shouldn't be tough since the majority want it, right???

In the annals of historical wrongness, you would hold a special seat. It would have handles.

Serious question, which happens first:

-Aliens
-Border Wall built along the US Southern border

Anybody who thinks the wall is getting built, books are taking this action. Go place your bet and profit from it...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
In 2013 Trump said President Obama should be fired over the shutdown. If Trump were true to his beliefs, he would resign.

But he should now do what ever he wants. He won't be allowed to do anything that is actually a disaster. If it was a real problem then Congress would actually be making a big deal out of it and acting.

It's just the show and it's a rerun.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I think they should let trump have his wall money. The lawyers, middlemen, vendors and contractors are going to suck the fund dry anyway and the wall will never be built. Not to mention all the court costs...

Blessed to have my DUNS. Got my check!!

A young woman, just got her BA in English, came into my shop and she was unsure what to study for her MA. I suggested Law for the JD.

edit on 28-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

A shutdown falls on the President's lack of leadership. He can't even control his party and get people together in a room. A shutdown means the President is weak." ~Donald Trump

Wise words?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Oh!

I have no doubt that the worthless dems and the equally worthless republicans will never fund the wall because it would be effective and permanent.

And the scum that infests DC do not want solutions, neither do their sycophants.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Oh!

I have no doubt that the worthless dems and the equally worthless republicans will never fund the wall because it would be effective and permanent.

And the scum that infests DC do not want solutions, neither do their sycophants.

The wall has an estimated cost of $25B.

Since a delusional member posted that half of the public that voted for Trump wants the wall (something along those lines, my words), why don't all 62,984,828 people who "voted for the wall" pony up the money.

Illegal immigration is costing our country $135B annually (figure gathered from another delusional member).

All of those who voted for Trump can pay $396.92 and have their funding for the wall! That's actually a steal at the current rate these illegals are costing us.

Again, according to some delusional members, they are costing each and every American $415 annually in tax dollars.

So the people who want the wall can fully fund the thing, at a reduced rate!!!! WIN-WIN!!!

If only there was a GoFundMe account or something where people would quit whining and pony up their money....

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If the money is going to be spent, can we move the Cali-Mex border wall to the Cali-Oregon border and add additional wall along the Cali east state border.

Might as well solve two problems while at it.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Dear god, you're a bot!

Not a very good one either. Shame on whomever wrote you.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

We already did pony up the money, it's called Taxes, so much in fact the government has over 3 trillion dollars a year to play with. the wall will cost 5 billion, so we already more the paid for it

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: network dude

Buck up little camper, the 2020 elections are coming up, and perhaps your "majority" can spread out a bit this time instead of clumping up in two states. (pro tip, that's how to "beat the system")

Is the opinion of the people in those two states regarded as less than the opinion of other Americans ?
I thought all were equal under the flag.

It's not my majority as I don't have a vote but in political terms 2020 is a long way away , I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet ... he still has to survive 2019.

For the purposes of the Electoral branch of the government, it meant that California and New York gave their electoral votes to Clinton. It has nothing to do with the individual wishes of the People in those States. The President is not directly elected by the People.

Now, the will of the people of California and New York *is* being felt in the Legislative branch. As was intended.

The US Founders had studied history you see, and saw what happened when too much power was placed in the hands of too few individuals. They wanted a federal government at war with itself. Conflict and territoriality were cooked into the system. They didn't care about government shutdowns, because it was the place of the States and Localities to take care of their own business.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

We already did pony up the money, it's called Taxes, so much in fact the government has over 3 trillion dollars a year to play with. the wall will cost 5 billion, so we already more the paid for it

No, the final tally is in fact 25 billion. 5 billion is to get it started. But as you said, we have a 3 trillion/year budget (before deficits) so that 25 billion equals 0.83% of spending in ONE YEAR, which is basically a rounding error.

This is all a horse and pony show.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

$25 Billion is still a pittance compared to the $116 Billion per year burden illegals place on the tax payers.
www.fairus.org...

Build the GD Wall, Congress, and build it NOW.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Just give him a bill and tell him his Fox news , stupid wall is on it. He will sign it, because he can't read.

One of our greatest generals said, "Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" .

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

A+

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
There really is no debate here.

Congress approved 5 bil to two central american countries but refuse to give 5 bil for the wall?

This conversation is a futile attempt at rationalizing the dem's irrational stance of open borders.

If the border wall can save even one American life than it is completely worth it.

In reality though we already know it will save many more than just one American life, so lets keep the govt shutdown until the wall is complete.

The safety of American lives depend on it, and that is the only thing the Constitution says the govt must spend tax money on to do

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Just let my college student assistant, who was born in America(to Reagan nationalized immigrants) to come back from Mexico before the border gets shut down. He’s a great kid and I REALLY need his help at work. I don’t know if you can shut it over the holidays.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
What should Trump do when it comes to this shut down and the wall:

Some would say he should hold fast, and refuse to deal. Others say he should cave in.

Politics is an art form. Even the very language and level will often dictate what a person should or should not do. Lower offices that are elected, the person has one luxury that a president does not have, and that is at a lower office, they can play along party lines. However, in the case of the President, that person does not have the luxury of just going along the party line. This is a person who has to speak for the entire country, not just those who voted for the person, or to the party who has the majority.

In this case, the President needs to cave and blink, to end this shut down, and ultimately start government back up. This will do to things, one show that the President is capable of negotiating, and that he is starting to represent the rest of the country and not just those who support the man.

If the shut down continues, the damage may not be something that can be easily fixed, and will have consequences to it.

The other aspect, is that the Democrats will be taking control over the house of Reps in Jan, which means that as much as he may not want to, he is going to have to work with and negotiate with the Democrats. And start looking at the country as a whole, not as a part.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Yes the Democrats will take the house in 2019 and they will have to work with the republican in the senate and the President. Or the government will be shut down for the entire two years they run congress and America will decide if they want to keep democrats in power who can’t approve of a 3 trillion dollar budget because of a stubborn stance to not give 5 billion dollars for something the President campaigned and won on.

I guess we’ll see who would turn out the victor in that argument.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

But that does not explain this shut down right now. In all of 2018, the Republicans held the majority in both chambers of congress. They did not need the Democrats to pass anything. So that means all bills in the House could be passed by majority vote, along the party lines, and then in the Senate, here again, by simple majority vote, using the rules that exist. Mind you that some of those rules, were set up by the Democrats and are being exploited by the Republicans.

So during the past 2 years, the president could have had the entire wall funded, passed by congress, without any democratic input. So with that in mind, then what was the purpose of this shut down?

Or could it be that there are some Republicans that think that the wall is not a good idea? Even those republicans not seeking re-election could have voted for such and walked away without fear.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sorry but all of you are full of poop it's not his fault they had a spending bill he did not like it if they still wanted it to go thru all it would have took was 2/3rds of Senate to vote to approve it and it would have become law did you all not pay attention on Saturday mornings to school house rock specifically I am a bill only a bill. Congress is at fault instead of actually doing their jobs they chose to let gov shutdown and left for holiday. Yet these are the same clowns who approved 3 million dollars to determine which color wine went best with steak back during Obama admin.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join