It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what should Trump do about the shutdown?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
http://

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: network dude

Like all children he should learn that you can't always get what you want and put the needs of his country above his political desire.
Hard for a Billionaire who isn't used to being told No but it might teach him an important life lesson.

He is putting the wishes of the half of the public who voted him into the office of POTUS ahead of those who wish to destroy him. When you look at it like that, it kind of sound different huh?

Only 26% of eligible voters voted for Trump. That's not even close to half of the country, nor is even close to half of eligible voters.

Orange Man Terrible!

Link

...But 26% is half of 50%, which is half of the public.

THINK ABOUT THAT MATH MAN!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

Oh yeah... like, oh... wow. Conservative maths is like so easy when you put it that way...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

he keeps talking about wanting a ton of money to build a wall???

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Remind me again when popular vote was ever a determining factor in the selection of the US President?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Wait, are you implying that we should elect people who not only possess patience, but also an heightened level of critical-thinking skills?

Methinks you ask too much.

But seriously, we have a plethora (RIP, El Guapo) of people like that in America, but none of whom seem willing to run for such a thankless job that, historically speaking, results in being demonized and hated and harassed by extremist idiots. If I'm a critically-thinking individual, I'm not certain that is a path in life that I'd choose to take.

Politics was once a side job that people chose in order to make the nation or state or whatever jurisdiction a better place, but once we started compensating them in a way that made it a full-time job, it has gone to hell quickly. Now they are more worried about appeasing their side of voters in order to get another term than doing what's best overall, and like you say, there can be no compromising under these conditions.

It'd disheartening, to say the least.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

He is putting the wishes of the half of the public who voted him into the office of POTUS ahead of those who wish to destroy him. When you look at it like that, it kind of sound different huh?

Another way to look at your nonsensical cryptic post:
You said - " half of the public who voted him" so, if 26% voted for him, then are you saying that only 13% of all eligible voters in the US want a wall?
That actually sounds accurate after all!

edit on 28-12-2018 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleFox

Remind me again when popular vote was ever a determining factor in the selection of the US President?

Remind me again with what that has to do with "half the population"....

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

According to the constitution, its our military's job to protect our border. That's why the military exists in the 1st place. I'm fine with the TSA being abolished. National parks don't need employees for me to visit them.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

they need employees to take your money!! and, when they are shut down, the gov't doesn't make that money and the parks are closed down.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

but if much of the work is gonna be held up in court over domain issues for decades why the need for all the money now??

That article was a unique situation that I referenced only to show how easy it is for the government to exercise Eminent Domain. The courts have consistently upheld Eminent Domain issues, and only this time deviated where the land taken was going to private developers.

The point (which I apparently failed to present correctly) was that even this was tried under Eminent Domain... and almost succeeded! An actual government use, such as a border wall for national security, would not have that issue.

Also, Eminent Domain cannot even begin without the funds to purchase the land. The government does not size the land; they force their purchase of the land. One cannot buy land without money.

realestate.findlaw.com...
www.nytimes.com...
marcellusdrilling.com...
www.natlawreview.com...
www.ownerscounsel.com...
www.michaelbest.com...

In the vast majority of Eminent Domain cases, landowners don't even question Eminent Domain, but rather the fair market value of their property. That's because they consistently lose if they do.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I'm just showing how truly far off you are, as percentages of a number that means nothing... means nothing.

Btw, Trump won over 80% of US counties....

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I'm just showing how truly far off you are, as percentages of a number that means nothing... means nothing.

Btw, Trump won over 80% of US counties....

It’s over your head man...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Only 26% of eligible voters voted for Trump.

I heard the price of garbanzo beans is up by 2% in Beijing...

...just as relevant...

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: caterpillage

How about shutting the military for 1 day and the rest of the USA and the world gets a breather.

Dont have a problem with that, id like to see a lot of the military brought home and cut way back on screwing with the rest of the world. Could save some serious bread that way, prob way more than it takes to build a dozen walls.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Like all children he should learn that you can't always get what you want and put the needs of his country above his political desire.
Hard for a Billionaire who isn't used to being told No but it might teach him an important life lesson.

Only 26% of eligible voters voted for Trump. That's not even close to half of the country, nor is even close to half of eligible voters.

Orange Man Terrible!

Link

you sir, are 100% correct. And If I said that, I would have been wrong. Instead, I said "He is putting the wishes of the half of the public who voted him into the office of POTUS ahead of those who wish to destroy him"

And I later acknowledged that since Trump didn't win the popular vote (Hillary Clinton was wildly more popular and an amazing humanitarian) the numbers could be like 47% with a + or - 3% margin of error. But for the sake of internet discussions that shouldn't veer off into really ignorant arguments like the popular vote thing 2 years into a 4 year presidency, I hoped my math was kosher. I am willing to accept whatever punishment the popular vote sees fit.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I had heard Trump made a deal that he approved the last budget, without wall funding, and a bunch of garbage pork, with a promise that the next one would have his wall funding. If that really is the case, there ins't anyone else to look at but those who didn't keep their end of the deal up. But I haven't found a link to prove that, so until one exists, it's not a fact.

IF this turns out to be true, I will be a little disappointed in my President. Yes at that time he was still fresh into office, BUT he still should have known better then to trust anything a politician says. He should have gotten his wall WITH all that pork in the same bill.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Another way to look at your nonsensical cryptic post:
You said - " half of the public who voted him" so, if 26% voted for him, then are you saying that only 13% of all eligible voters in the US want a wall?
That actually sounds accurate after all!

I completely forgot to take into account the vast moral and intellectual superiority of those who oppose my views.
I'll try to say it in words that better suit the audience.

Of the people in the United States of America who went to the polls and voted for Donald J. Trump to be president, a good portion of them seem to want the wall built on the border of the US and Mexico. I base that on the reactions of his base supporters when asked about the border wall, border security, and immigration overall.

I could be completely wrong, and only myself and a few others are even concerned with controlling immigration into our Nation, and if so, I yield to your moral and intellectual superiority. If there was a trophy available, I'd offer it to you. You are so wonderful. Thanks for being you.

edit on 28-12-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeechQuestInfo

quote where someone said "half the population", other than you.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeechQuestInfo

quote where someone said "half the population", other than you.

Unless the “public” and “population” are no longer synonymous.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Congress just needs to allocate that relatively small amount to a border wall which will end the shutdown. Problem solved. There is no reason not to build the wall other than Congress doesn’t want Teump to win.

In the meantime who cares if we have less Federsl Government. We don’t need them anyway.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join