It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what should Trump do about the shutdown?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Buck up little camper, the 2020 elections are coming up, and perhaps your "majority" can spread out a bit this time instead of clumping up in two states. (pro tip, that's how to "beat the system")

Is the opinion of the people in those two states regarded as less than the opinion of other Americans ?
I thought all were equal under the flag.

It's not my majority as I don't have a vote but in political terms 2020 is a long way away , I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet ... he still has to survive 2019.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The one minor point about all this that I find very interesting is that the Senate has come out and said "there will be NO test votes" that was a very curious thing for me. They only want to bring bills to the floor that they are certain will pass(or so they say)

That's very interesting to me...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Buck up little camper, the 2020 elections are coming up, and perhaps your "majority" can spread out a bit this time instead of clumping up in two states. (pro tip, that's how to "beat the system")

Is the opinion of the people in those two states regarded as less than the opinion of other Americans ?

Yes the opinion of two states is regarded as less then the other 48, regardless of population. We are a union of 50 states, not a union of 300 million people.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

oh, I'm sure he'd back down when the last of the secret service agents guarding him walks out the door because, well, a job at mcdonalds pays more than the gov't is going to!!!

I think the vast majority of USSS agents, particularly on the detail, are slightly more forward thinking than you seem to be.

"Let me leave my job where the agency's average salary is roughly $90k a year thanks to locality pay and all sorts of other benefits and go get a minimum wage job because of a temporary shutdown of the government."

Makes complete sense.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I had heard Trump made a deal that he approved the last budget, without wall funding, and a bunch of garbage pork, with a promise that the next one would have his wall funding. If that really is the case, there ins't anyone else to look at but those who didn't keep their end of the deal up. But I haven't found a link to prove that, so until one exists, it's not a fact.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Not a damn thing. Wait for either the world to explode, his term to end, or his wall funding to show up. yes, I am aware of the horrible hardships of those who are used to getting government money, but here is the deal. He can't win. If he caves in, he's weak, if he holds firm, he's mean and uncaring. And in the end, those who hate him for being Trump will still hate him, those who don't hate him, may have an opinion, but it will be ignored, as their feelings are already determined by the NPC's that think they know how anyone other than them thinks.

Since he can't win, he might as well, be remembered as the guy who didn't back down, and then the left can be remembered as the side that kept the government shut down over a relatively small amount of money.

For the record, the shutdown hasn't effected me yet. So I have no encumbrances to stop me from having this opinion. That, and I'm sure I'm a "cult45" Trumpanzie, who is a NAZI, hates brown PPL, and can't do simple math.

trump is a human being as you and me. he maybe is a good businessman but he don't have the moral compass to be leader of the usa, in my opinion. it seems he is easy to manipulate. that is dangerous, i think.

i'm pretty sure you are not a neonazi and you don't hate brown people. but this cult thing is irritating.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo

i'm pretty sure you are not a neonazi and you don't hate brown people. but this cult thing is irritating.

in what way?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I thought all were equal under the flag.

It's not my majority as I don't have a vote but in political terms 2020 is a long way away , I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet ... he still has to survive 2019.

correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Trump erupts into a giant ball of orange, there will still be an election in the year 2020. And unless something huge happens, the Electoral College will still exist in it's present form. We have a Constitution an everything.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
and I had heard that when the deal for the dreamers was dropped because trump no longer supported it, that they would take it up as a separate issue, which they didn't, they went straight to let's give the rich and famous giant tax cuts and really hike up our debt instead.. it seems that neither side has a good record when it comes to keeping their word.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

So Antifa are a Right wing organization? You guys may want to rein them in.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
and I had heard that when the deal for the dreamers was dropped because trump no longer supported it, that they would take it up as a separate issue, which they didn't, they went straight to let's give the rich and famous giant tax cuts and really hike up our debt instead.. it seems that neither side has a good record when it comes to keeping their word.

Yup, and as long as Trump can be blamed, it's all good. Right?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Unfortunately the IRS is not considered non essential so they will be at work.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I don't doubt there will be an election in 2020 but I have my doubts Trump will be part of it , I just hope next time you get to choose between two suitable candidates rather than the poor choice you were offered last time.

I wish your country the best which is why I'm anti-Trump (I wasn't for Clinton either).

but even if Trump erupts into a giant ball of orange

If that were to happen I hope they catch it on HD cameras.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I guess it depends on how long "temporary" is.
which it seems depends on who will blink first, the dems in congress, or trump..
so, it might be a very long "temporary".
and it won't be their salary that will hold them for the longterm, many of them probably have the training and skills needed to get much better paying jobs in the private sector. it would be how close they are to getting that retirement money. If they are close to that time, ya, they might decide to stay but if it's too far down the road, maybe not. the longer it lasts, the more they see their savings dwindle, the more pressure they will have to leave and find greener pastures. they aren't gonna be working for free and coming to a home that is a homeless shelter to stand in line with their family in a soup line!
is that forward thinking enough for you???

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

no, what is good is the two sides being able to work together and compromise!!
plan A was a compromise... it was shot down by people who think that compromise is weak and unacceptable.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

What Congress could have done, and what Congress should have done, is to send him a bill regardless. That way, had he vetoed it, I would be agreeing that the shutdown was at least in most Trump's fault. Now, the way it is, without even a bill for him to sign, I'm just laughing at the fools thinking Trump has any power here. The only power he has is in the heads of an apparently partially-witted Congress.

I started to say half-witted, but that was giving them far too much credit.

Instead, the idiots leading the Democrats in Congress decided that since Trump threatened to take the heat by vetoing a spending bill that did not include the funding he was promised, that meant they didn't need to do anything except complain about Trump to "win." Now it's up to the people to decide in 2020 whether or not they want that tactic, by using their Congressional vote.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I still get a decent base salary, but my paycheck is largely commission based on sales to the Air Force. 2 of my biggest accounts are shut down right now.

That's not my biggest problem though. I have money. I'm 3 people short, and I can't hire anybody! eVerify and federal background checks are not happening right now. I'm working 10-13 hour days, 7 days a week, until this childish nonsense is over.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

that's not what I heard. by what I heard, till the gov't reopens, the IRS staff can't even get the training they need to understand the changes to the tax system that were passed let alone be able to man the phone and help others understand them. so, well, I say, let's just pop some popcorn, sit back.... anybody have any rum to go with my coke... and watch the fine show the fools have produced for us.. maybe even place some bets as to who wants that tax money the most, the dems or the republicans, or trump!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

the dems didn't have the power in congress to being any bill to the floor for a vote... the republicans hold the power in the senate!!! they decided not to bring it to the floor. so, how is it that it's the dems fault again???

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

What Congress could have done, and what Congress should have done, is to send him a bill regardless. That way, had he vetoed it, I would be agreeing that the shutdown was at least in most Trump's fault. Now, the way it is, without even a bill for him to sign, I'm just laughing at the fools thinking Trump has any power here. The only power he has is in the heads of an apparently partially-witted Congress.

I started to say half-witted, but that was giving them far too much credit.

Instead, the idiots leading the Democrats in Congress decided that since Trump threatened to take the heat by vetoing a spending bill that did not include the funding he was promised, that meant they didn't need to do anything except complain about Trump to "win." Now it's up to the people to decide in 2020 whether or not they want that tactic, by using their Congressional vote.

TheRedneck

Nice spaghetti logic. You aren't/weren't going to ever blame Trump for ANY shutdown, even if he went to your door and admitted that he 'owns it'.

He admitted that he 'owns it'. That wasn't an exempted admission, it was a total one. Now you're feeble flailing trying to logic how even though your idiotic messiah after having bumbled into willfully taking responsibility for something isn't actually responsible for it, which makes both you and him look even more silly.

Fortunately the plurality of American citizens don't share your undying and unquestioning love for Trump.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join