It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VR Chat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

originally posted by: ParasuvO
a reply to: Akragon

It was a thread by nightbringr...called

OhMyGod the sky is full of stars..im on mobile cant seem to link it...but it got my attention.

Ah right... the modded skyrim thread... i remember that thread now that you mention it!!

what cpu are you told is bottom of the barrel when it comes to this ?

I am still using a I7 2700 K overclock to 4.2 usually that seems to have handled everything for 5 years pretty much.

Well my Cpu is pretty much bottom of the barrel... i should be able to run a Rift but apparently it doesn't like my graphix card...

My Cpu

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 2GB GDDR5

8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (1x8Gb)

So that's about the bottom of the barrel... definitely will be upgrading when i decide to get the high end system

Wish you were close by..even throwing a 1060 6gb card in would change a fair bit...the 1050ti is equal to a 760 gtx...you need at least 6 gb ram in card i think to double or even triple your response..and a dedicated soundcard to offload even more.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   

when you upgrade hope you know a reputable pc shop...with best prices....it is invaluable.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

I wouldn't even attempt a full set right now... im quite happy with the GO!

And soon to be on PSVR... which will be interesting

Tethered headsets would be annoying i believe... but we'll see

Wireless is so nice!!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I am curious...have you watched movies with the Go ?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

what cpu are you told is bottom of the barrel when it comes to this ?

I am still using a I7 2700 K overclock to 4.2 usually that seems to have handled everything for 5 years pretty much.

This cpu has been amazingly strong and stable the entire time...had 16 gigs and 800 watt power supy
..upgraded to ssd few times as it gets better...1060gtx graphics asus analog soundcard helped alot too....but i will throw in a 1080 to see if i need or a 2080 if necessary.

Looks like to actually run something like a Rift the bottom of the barrel is about $750 for a desktop, $850 for a laptop

www.oculus.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I haven't watched a full movie... just a couple made for VR...

Short's like "henry" and "the crow"... which are awesome By the way

Though I've heard people rave about watching full movies on it

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I haven't watched a full movie... just a couple made for VR...

Short's like "henry" and "the crow"... which are awesome By the way

Though I've heard people rave about watching full movies on it

wow i had not heard of this..just seeing it in mind..

Knowing tech though..budget for at least twice what is barebones....i will spend 5000 this mid spring...hope you are able to find the funds.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Well lets see how the quest works out

its being released with 50 titles... and a new Starwars game

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Hey wait...what is this swivel chair you speak of.

My buddy is looking for a chair low to ground like had in past.....this sounds different.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Just a basic office chair that spins, leans and is able to adjust height...

Most of the Go experiences are sitting, but you don't wanna be crankin your head around to look behind you all the time

Absolutely necessary to get the full experience

Like Daedulus... such an amazing game

edit on 28-12-2018 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Just a basic office chair that spins, leans and is able to adjust height...

Most of the Go experiences are sitting, but you don't wanna be crankin your head around to look behind you all the time

Absolutely necessary to get the full experience

Like Daedulus... such an amazing game

You have a nice chair keyboard and mouse setup ?

I have been debating and creating what is best for different chairs for a month now.

Tough since i have not really played a game for almosy 2 years.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

wow that's a while eh...

No i play cpu games on my laptop, on the couch lol

The chair is for VR and relaxing

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Good stuff...

You will see an awesome new level...an all new reality....LoL.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I have been eagerly participating in VR since the DK1..... then I got my DK2........ and then finally a CV1.
First I was using a Nvidia 920 and it ran ok but I was always getting a nag screen about how crappy my video card was..... then I got a 1060 and was wowed at the improvement..... which led me to get a 1080.

There is a sports program on the Rift that lets you sample Hockey, football, basketball and baseball...... It gives you an idea of the challenge the developers face coming up with something that works in VR. Well worth buying, but it is just a sample of different ideas, not a full game.

The VR chatrooms were a lot of fun in the early days. Most of the people I had met were developers eager to talk to people and bounce ideas off of them. Met this hardware dev on altspace who had a suit that let his whole body work in VR, it was hilarious when he would dance.

Beatsaber, In Death and a couple other games are my favorites..... and for good measure I gotta say that Elite Dangerous in VR.... mindblowing... Check out voiceattack and the Astra addon.....

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I use a 2700k and a 1070ti (both overclocked) with no issues, for what its worth.

I think that, like akragon, many try the phone sets and walk away unimpressed.. but the "real" units are definitely a whole different monster.

I'm still a big advocate for the cheaper WMR sets until the tech gets further.. but they are all great.

Some games, like subnautica, almost require sitting down. Swimming through a 3d space like water can be VERY disorienting! Very!

But, I've also been enjoying gunheart. It seems a lot of releases are still veering dangerously close to "tech demo" territory, but even then they can be a blast for the right price. Senuas sacrifice is pretty freaky in VR..

I think one of the coolest trends is using VR for story telling, frequently for low or no cost. Being able to explore the environment of a tall tale is a completely unique experience.

I also love playing with my steam controller, but I adore that peripheral anyway.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I think that, like akragon, many try the phone sets and walk away unimpressed.. but the "real" units are definitely a whole different monster.

This is exactly right... I started with my phone on a VR set I got for Xmas 2 years ago... fact is, it sucked... but it was a neat idea... it worked like it was supposed to but there was no immersion at all... just felt like staring at a screen close to my face.

It was just a fluke that I was fishing around on the oculus website and found the GO... it was pricy but not unaffordable... no cpu needed, no wires... just strap on and go

I took a chance and ordered it... probably the best purchase I've made in years surprisingly

There is no comparison between a phone set and a real VR set

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hi!~! Thanks for the thread. My concern with VR is having to be extremely close to the screen the entire time. I'm not sure how great that is for the eyes. Otherwise, yea I'm for for VR. As someone with bad eyes, I see the possible downside of having more exposure to that kind of light.

I'll have to wait until studies are down with that type of light and EMF admission. Can't play around with my eyes at this point...

edit on 2-1-2019 by SilentSaturn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SilentSaturn

Hey thanks for the reply!!

I've heard various things as far as the effects on the eyes...recently one person in my Oculus Go group said that he had the screen door effect after using the GO.... keep in mind he was using it for hours on end...

At this point I can only comment on what I've tried... the Go has one of the best resolutions in the industry as it stands... its not even noticeable as far as seeing the pixels is concerned
… unless you're trying to see them

The GO is very comfortable on the eyes after getting used to what you're seeing... only takes a few second to focus.

Other then that one person I haven't heard any issues that people are having with being close to the screen at all... its not the same as sitting close to a TV because you're looking through lenses that are designed to view the screen

As I've said before... very comfortable, very enjoyable... IF you're considering Jumping into VR... Get an Oculus Go

Its totally worth the money, and it isn't even expensive

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join