It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coast Guard does not get paid during shutdown

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
All because Chuck Schumer is throwing a hissy fit.

trump owns it
we all saw the discussion.

he said multiple times this is all on him

so in this super special case you do not have to deflect cause the messiah already said its on him.

so you dont have to play your game

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Every flucking one of those spoiled brats in DC owns this. Getting so sick of the little kiddie games being played by both parties. The country is sick and they are the parasites.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
There is an option to file hardship paperwork this will allow them to get an advance in pay up to 3 months and will have a year to pay it back. So if I were on the coast guard I'd file the paperwork since they are always reimbursed for missing pay.

Bottom line a zero intrest loan is available if they need it. Having used it once myself the nice thing was if you took out 3 months and paid some back you are eligible to once again borrow if another emergency were to occur.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

...It is all about denying Trump a promise to the voters who elected him....

Not to endorse tit-for-tat style politics, but what exactly did McConnell decree when Obama was elected (as I seem to remember it had something to do with fighting Obama on every action he tried to accomplish).

I'm sure you were just as vociferous in defending Obama from the Republican congresses machinations to thwart everything he did.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Man, the shutdown has been for 6 day's! The Coast Guard really?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: vincevatican777

Man, the shutdown has been for 6 day's! The Coast Guard really?

Coast Guard won’t see paychecks for several more weeks as shutdown continues

www.militarytimes.com... ign=Socialflow+NAV&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR2c9N5wrGuUe9Seryfn5NsIj18gUUoBz3S379U9GIzU_Eo3QNpNAbpvJb0

"Tens of thousands of other government workers are also working without pay, but could see their checks arrive quickly after the shutdown ends because of different pay schedules. For the Coast Guard, they’ll have to wait a full month between paychecks, a financial hardship that could severely impact some junior members of the service.

In a statement earlier this week, U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officers Association National President Jon Ostrowski called that an unnecessary hardship for those individuals and their families.

“What Congress may not realize is that service members will pay the price for this with their time to fill out paperwork to take out personal loans and grants to cover their bills, not to mention the time it takes to pay back any loans received after the government shutdown is resolved,” he said. “Our Coast Guard members deserve better than this.”

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The feds are dumping illegals in Texas. Fed employees deserve not getting paid. Hey Ted, what's up with this?

Maybe Trump is right.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I'm at work right now and not getting paid. It's called being an 'excepted' employee.

At least, by law, the government cannot decide not to pay us for time served on the job during a shutdown--with people who are furloughed during this time, it takes an act of Congress to decide to pay them.

A note of interest: We even have to consider Christmas Eve and Day--both holidays given to us by the federal government this year--as "furlough hours" for which we may or may not get paid, and we had no choice not to take those days off.

It sucks for the truly furloughed employees because they have no concrete knowledge on if they'll get paid, although historically they always get back pay. At least for your Coast Guard friends and folks like me, we know that we'll get paid in the end.

And don't worry, they'll get a partial payment on the 1st for their days worked prior to the shutdown. I still have a full pay period coming to me either today or tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I want to feel bad for them.....but to work for the Federal Government is to know you are working for a no good scammer that won't pay you on time when they feel like punting a political football.

This isn't new. I'd recommend that no one work for the Federal Government in any capacity. They are a terrible employer known for exploiting their employees.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

They still get fed and clothed as part so they arent starving.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Well, maybe I'm wrong, and the Coast Guard is a special exception, but here's the deal: By law, the government can not withhold payment for time worked under non-shutdown conditions. So, even if they will not be getting a full paycheck on Jan. 1, they should be getting paid for their time from Dec. 15-Dec.22.

From your link:

That leaves little hope for Coast Guard members working under emergency orders that they will see their scheduled paychecks this cycle. That includes money they’ve earned not only since the shutdown began, but also work done under normal circumstances the week before.

I just do not see how this can be the case legally. I with the Military Times had done a better job explaining the 'why" behind the Coast Guard being apparently different than all other federal agencies, because since said agencies were funded through Dec. 22, all time worked up until that point was funded and can be distributed as a partial pay check.

Maybe their regulations don't allow for partial payments? Seems fishy to me.

ETA: I did find this way down at the bottom of another story:

Navy Federal Credit Union, which provides service to all branches of the military, has announced a relief program that features a zero-interest loan to affected members.

“Our members deserve peace of mind during a government shutdown, and eligible members can register to get some relief,” Tynika Wilson, the credit union's senior vice president of debit card and fund services, said in a press release. “Public service is a defining characteristic of our membership, and this is the right thing to do.”

Source

Usually, there is an out in these situations, even if said out is an inconvenience--at least it's better than being financially strapped and accruing some dings on a credit report.

Also, here is a link to some sample letters release by OPM for those affected, if you want to share with those who you may know who are affected: OPM Sample Letters PDF

edit on 28-12-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

They still get fed and clothed as part so they arent starving.

oh well thats ok then

glad to know so many know exactly how these people will fare.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Caveat Emptor.

It used to be an American value. Now, folks go and work for an employer that they KNOW will fail to pay them due to silly politics. And they share none of the burden of accountability for choosing a deadbeat employer.

I'd never work for an employer that had a history of not paying people. I'd be stupid if i did.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

does not make it ok

kinda blaming the people not getting paid

thats #ty

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Federal employee impacted by the shutdown, here.

I knew that I was making a deal with the devil when I accepted employment with the federal government, and I knew that these shenanigans were a possibility. That doesn't absolve congress and POTUS from the reality that these things can be avoided, but it doesn't mean that we federal employees need overwhelming sympathy, either, or that we don't have the option to seek different employers when we tire of said shenanigans.

BFFT isn't being sh**ty, he's just being honest...and he's correct that we chose our employer, and that comes with the good and the bad. On the flip side, though, the ratio of paying employees versus not is way lopsided to paying employees in a timely manner, so BFFT is being a tad hyperbolic in how he's presenting reality. And almost without fail, we all receive backpay for time during the furlough, even those who did not work.

edit on 28-12-2018 by SlapMonkey because: grammar corrections and small additions

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

does not make it ok

kinda blaming the people not getting paid

thats #ty

Didn't they know that Uncle Sam had a tendency to not pay people? This happens damn near annually.

I don't blame them for not getting paid. I blame them for going to work for a deadbeat employer who is known to not pay employees. I know that I make more prudent career decisions, personally.

The kicker: if i don't pay my people I am in violation of the US Dept of Labor's laws, as well as Texas Payday Law. But deadbeat Uncle Sam? He's exempted. So, double reason for me to not work for him.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I see employment as an agreement between 2 people. A business arrangement. When I go to a job interview, i am interviewing a prospective employer as much as I am being interviewed. I believe in due dilligence and risk management.

If we want to actually blame people, i'd say blaming anyone who voted for either a democrat or a republican is to blame.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Yes, it is a contract, and that's why I have stated in this thread that I don't see how the Coast Guard can legally not pay a partial pay check for the time of the pay period prior to the shutdown.

I don't want to blame anyone, because in life, sh*t happens, to include with private-sector employers as well. But I'll agree with you, because I didn't vote for an R or a D for president, and haven't for two presidential elections straight. I'd rather not vote...almost...than not vote my conscience ever again.

Luckily, I get to vote for Thomas Massie and Rand Paul, so I'm pretty lucky in that regard. Mitch McConnell, though, not so much. I look at the person more than the letter, though. I can live with those two R votes being on my conscience.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

All because Chuck Schumer is throwing a hissy fit.

trump owns it
we all saw the discussion.

he said multiple times this is all on him

so in this super special case you do not have to deflect cause the messiah already said its on him.

so you dont have to play your game
That’s a pretty desperate observation. You should try to keep up.

The bill pasted the House with funding for the wall intact even thou Pelosi said that there were not enough votes. Once it hit the Senate Chuckie boy has it stalled because the D’s hold the bill hostage to filibuster. Trump would naturally sign the House passed bill. So indeed Chuck owns this shutdown all the way.

I know that you will never believe it but that’s fine. Just get ready for the second Trump term!!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

...It is all about denying Trump a promise to the voters who elected him....

Not to endorse tit-for-tat style politics, but what exactly did McConnell decree when Obama was elected (as I seem to remember it had something to do with fighting Obama on every action he tried to accomplish).

I'm sure you were just as vociferous in defending Obama from the Republican congresses machinations to thwart everything he did.

If you don’t endorse tit for tac politics then live you dream!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join