It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you still use a radar detector to dodge traffic tickets?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The one I don’t understand is being tailgated in state and city parks for going the posted speed limit of the park?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As a manufacturer's rep in the 1990's I made a mint selling Canadian Bel radar detectors. They were the best in the industry.

Interestingly, I rarely used it because it distracted me from driving. I am a very cautious driver and not at all aggressive so I don't get tickets so it was totally unncessary. We all knew our buyer-young, single guys.

After about 2005, sales really dwindled due to an onslaught of new tech by the authorities. Don't know of anyone these days with one or that wants one.

I'd like to think people are just more knowledgeable about their driving and quit trying to beat the authorities-but, from reading here, probaby not.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I live in LA, I am lucky, my commute is the opposite of traffic, most times. I usually just go with the flow of other cars. Constantly watching for cell phone idiots, who think traveling at a speeds, between 65-80 mph, it's okay to stair at a screen, rather than the road, , and other cars.

So , far no tickets. I, would not trust a radar detector, these days. The freeway, despite what some may think, is not Grand Theft Auto

edit on 27-12-2018 by iplay1up2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Truth be told, i turn 45 in one week. When my daughter was still in the womb 12 years ago, i got straight quick. Whatever the limit is, cruise is set. No tickets. No stories of a speeder killing his daughtr or pregnant wife, etc.

PS...life is too short to spend in court. For speeding.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

The one I don’t understand is being tailgated in state and city parks for going the posted speed limit of the park?

Here in Chicago, they've put up speeding cameras around parks. My issue is that the speed limits are set artificially low. For example, there is a street here that is a six lane (three each direction) where people typically drive 45 mph which is perfectly safe for this wide of street in a non residential area. There is a park maybe about a block long. So you can be cruising at 45 mph and then you pass this park and speed limit drops to like 25 mph. Totally unexpected and completely unnecessary imho. A few days later, you get a ticket for $75 bucks. Most people probably don't even know or are aware until they get their ticket in the mail.
edit on 27-12-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
When I take road trips, I am never the fastest driver, but I do tend to set my cruise at 80mph. It is fast enough for me. I always let someone else go ahead just in case Johnny Law has a speed trap setup.

The thing I find funny though is that no matter how fast I am driving, there is ALWAYS someone else who needs to drive faster or will tail gate me.

I've literally been doing like 85mph in a 55 and someone is still coming up on me tailgating and flashing the high beams.

Speeding by itself doesn't really bother me, it is driving in an unsafe manner or recklessly that gets under my skin. I rather cops give out tickets for the idiots shooting across three lanes with no turn signal, weaving in and out of traffic, driving slow in the left lane, etc.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Slow left lane drivers get to me. On a 5 lane in either direction, freeway if your in the left lane, you should be passing, people on the right. How hard is that to grasp?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Not directed at anyone specifically. But I was always taught that,

Men don't put other people in danger.
Be a man drive the speed limit.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
Thankfully, traffic cameras are not used in Michigan as our laws actually acknowledge that people drive other people's vehicles on occasion and that the speeding driver may not be who the car is registered to. (Can't give me a ticket if my sister was speeding in my car). States like Ohio and Illinois are notorious for completely disregarding common sense though... Sorry guys lol those States are mental.

Anyway, no radar detector; us michiganders have MPA 85 of 2007 to use if he get popped for speeding

You're right about here in Michigan. What we do have is forward and rear lasers so cops can see both coming at or going away from them while driving. The lasers are way more accurate on which vehicle is targeted.

We also have 3-way zones, ever changing. One police car hit the laser from cover, radios 2 car ahead to pull over targeted vehicle...3rd car replaces 2nd chase vehicle...and it's done all day.

Kids? Just go no more than 5 over, don't attract attention by swerving in your lane etc...I've found cruise control set at approx. 4.5 miles over posted speed...and I make all the lights as well!

Slow down, dont be distracted driving...see a road rager....slow down, let em pass, get outta their way.

Stay safe all..

1st Responder
Police, Fire, Rescue
Civic Center, City of Dearborn, Mi

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Haha..isn't that annoying?

I call them the plus one-er's

No matter what speed you go, they have to one-up it.

Huge thing in Florida, where everyone is as aggressive as they are dumb.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

The worst is being passed then have to slow down because the guy that just passed is making a turn.

And I will admit I will speed up if I think the car besides me is passing to get in my lane to make a turn.

I know it’s not right.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Not directed at anyone specifically. But I was always taught that,

Men don't put other people in danger.
Be a man drive the speed limit.

Tell that to the cops that speed to their favorite spots...........

But it’s hard to call foul on the ref.

People want to minimize time in transit. It’s not right, but it is human nature.

Or tell that to the mom driving the minivan loaded with kids that always seems to pass me?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I use the iDrone 4, works pretty good as long as you don't go over 100 mph, then you start to catch up to the drone and sometimes you pass it up. It's fun, while it's still legal at least for now.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I just drive like a responsible person. Never had a ticket.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

So let's just throw the whole system out and join em because some people can't follow rules? Lol

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Times change.

I've gotten older and wiser. Also want to avert road rage at all costs.

One of the main highways I drive has gone from 55 to 65 and now 75 in my lifetime. Now at 75, traffic flows so much better. Not many, if any, speed traps because there's more of a consensus with drivers. Likely, even the barn burners threw in the towel and go just over 75. I have a few nice cars and I am just not comfortable going super fast at my age. Also afraid of heights....

Enforcement is a crapshoot. I drive a lot less now and the local cops won't zing a normal person in their town.

One thing, on the hwy that is out of control is truck traffic in the left lane. Truck drivers are supposed to be professionals, and should ALL line up in the right lane and run at an agreed upon pace with their CB radios...instead of playing leapfrog at +/-2 mph.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Maybe try Waze?
It's a social GPS, so users mark camera's, roadblocks etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I have had one for at least 30 yrs. I don't speed and it won't protect you always, however, it has alerted me on too many occasions to count. I still see a fair amount of speed traps (on nice sunny days) here in MA. So I will continue to use one. If it saves you just once its worth it. No one needs a speeding ticket on their record. just saying.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join